Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm sorry. I think my comment came across stronger than I meant it to do.

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post

Just really unsure where she picked this up. I don't know if this is backlash from the incident she went through recently at school, or what. But, I'm just going to try and do my best to make her realize that lying = very bad, and that she shouldn't do that.
      I was beginning to think that the recent incident might not have something to do with this behavior. Kids have such a different way of handling stress than we do as adults and we often forget things that happened yesterday, but kids can remember things for years after we long forgot them.

I won't/can't offer advise, but I would like to say that I admire your parenting techniques and your values. Your daughter will one day emerge as a wonderful, well adjusted adult who will then move on to have children who behave just as she did when she was a child!

Hang in there. I know it seems rough now, but someday, it will get better.

Comment

Last school year my niece (then 6) started randomly not doing her spelling homework. She would lie to her parents about it. It got so bad that her dad (my bil) actually raised his voice (first time I've ever hear him do that).
        (note: I lived with them for 6 weeks after moving outta my ex's apartment.)
        Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
        Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post
          Just really unsure where she picked this up. I don't know if this is backlash from the incident she went through recently at school, or what. But, I'm just going to try and do my best to make her realize that lying = very bad, and that she shouldn't do that.
          It could potentially be so. Speaking of which, any new developments?
          The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Shpepper, don't worry about it, hehe.

Quoth fireheart View Post
            It could potentially be so. Speaking of which, any new developments?
            Replied to the thread, and updated on that, but there's not much to say, heh.

So yeah, regarding this thread though, pretty much her behavior was horrid just short of bedtime, when my husband kinda finally snapped and just said "Really, what IS your problem?!" She freaked out, and cried and cried, he just sat there and held her until she calmed down. Since it was the first moment just about that she'd been calm all day, we finally got to explain to her how much lying hurts other people, and I think it really sank in. I used an example of how much it hurts, and explained that every time she lies, it hurts mommy just as bad. Even worse though, since I'm her mommy and love her so much.

She cried some more at that point, and told me it was because she was sorry for being so bad. We had a little hugging session after that.

As for the source...I talked it over with my husband. I laid it out that I was really worried this possibly might stem from the earlier incident. Turns out....he had something to tell me. A little while ago, the girls stayed with my MIL. Apparently while they were there, my daughter lied about not eating her food. When my husband told her not to lie, it was bad, my MIL scolded my husband. Then she told my daughter "Ohhhh its just a little fib. When mommy and daddy get mad over something silly like that, just say 'its a weeeee fib mommy, nothing bad!' "

So now I have the source of the problem. <eyetwitch> And my husband wonders why I don't like to visit her.
            By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

And that's when you explain to Hubby that while MIL might have good intentions, that kind of behaviour undermines your parenting, and results in the behaviour that you had from Sarah today. And if it happens again, you're going to leave Sarah with HIM so HE can deal with it and see how stressful it is.
              The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Quoth iradney View Post
                leave Sarah with HIM so HE can deal with it and see how stressful it is.
                hahaha darn skippy I will!
                By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

That would be the last MIL would be seeing of her for a while! Forget xmas. She's on time out!

Comment

This is also where you tell Hubby - Guess what. YOU have to tell your mother about OUR precedence on lying. WE DON'T LIE. Right? You and I agree that? WELL GET THAT THROUGH TO YOUR MOTHER. You're related to her, you chat. Tough. Do it.
                    She wants to see munchkin, she'll have to come to a party or such with all of us there. I don't trust her, I don't want her to undermine all of our work. See how much damage that one day did? YEAH. Fix it.
                    In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
                    She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Exactly ^^^^^^^^^

What MIL is sooooo not okay! Bad MIL! Go sit in the corner!
                      Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

Oh yeah. Explain to your husband that he needs to tell his mother your family's take on lying. I can't believe ... I think my brain broke.

And yes, MIL needs to be on time out. I only take Clementine Rose down to the In-Laws for church (and we don't go every Sunday as it's a 3 hour drive round trip) or during a time when I know we won't be there long.

Though I would like to be a fly on the wall when your husband talk to his mom about this. And remind him to tell her everything (or better yet, write out everything that happened) so she can understand why what she told daughter was bad.
                        And you're welcome (in regards to my avatar).

Comment

Working...
                        X