Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cashiers: how would you deal with these customers?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cashiers: how would you deal with these customers?

This is for anyone who has been a cashier.

How would you deal with these customers without losing your job or getting reprimanded?

The customer who comes to your line with an attitude and takes it out on you?

The impatient customer who reaches around the monitor that is at the register you are at to scan their loyalty card. This happens when 1) I do not have a bagger or 2) when the bagger is slow in the customers opinion, and they have been waiting too long in your line

Customer with an attitude? I would do my absolute damndest to become ever more smiley and sweet, the angrier they got. Because it WOULD piss them off. They are trying to drag you down and if you won't allow it, that just pushes THEM down even more.

"You're an idiot! You're incompetent! I don't know how you got this job!!"

"The customer is always right sir/madam!" *hands them their shopping* "You have a wonderful day!" *BIIIIG cheesy smile*

It's not easy, especially when they are yelling at you in public. If you can just remind yourself that everybody else who's watching this is well aware it's the customer who is the asshat, it might help to keep you on an even keel.

The scanning of their own loyalty card? I'd likely let it go unless there is a security issue with them reaching around, in which case I'd ask my supervisor what the store wants done to prevent it. (Is it possible to scan it more than once, thus giving them extra points or something? In that case I'd definitely take it to a higher-up.)
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Comment

If the customer had an average 'tude, I was pretty good at letting it wash over me. Being annoying, or fussy, or an average a-hole wouldn't get a rise out of me. I'd stay pleasant, focus on the steps before me and move on with my day.

If a customer was being a particular brand of jerk, or if they made it personal, I'd become more stiff, but stay civil and keep a blank smile on my face. I may be irritated as heck, but the quicker I move a jerk through my line, the quicker I'd forget about it.
      A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Working...
      X