This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid Shipping Gang

Apologies to Consumerist for borrowing the title, but it seemed to fit here.

We've picked up a local vendor for brown mustard; J hates the stuff, but apparently customers have been asking for 'mustard' and are annoyed when we direct them to the equivalent (mostarda is pretty yummy and could be a perfect substitute, but people around here aren't very adventurous).

The outer shipping box is a Home Depot moving box that has been cut down to about half-height, and not reinforced properly (just folded down and taped like normal).

Shipment 1: Almost a full case of product (split between two SKUs) was lost (jars had broken in such a way that had I not picked them up by the lids I could have ended up in the ER). No cushioning in the shipping box at all. Yes, myself and J documented the hell out of it.

Shipment 2: Central kitchen also ordered four one-gallon jugs of mustard...two were some shades of damaged/leaking and I don't know if the other two were salvageable. Four jars in a case of glass retail jars were also lost. A had just received it a few minutes prior, so we documented the hell out of it and sent pictures to J. Padding was an empty product case.

Shipment 3: Today. I saw it sitting innocently on the warehouse floor, immediately recognized the outer box and commented to J "Wanna place any bets on what's actually usable in this one?" At least the outer box wasn't stained and I didn't immediately smell mustard...I zip the tape open and the larger of the three cases inside looks wet. Yup, at least one of the gallon jugs the kitchen ordered was broken. Of the two smaller retail cases, one had one broken jar--astoundingly none of the other jars even had splatters on them--and the other case was completely intact save for some residual mustard stains from the broken cases. No cushioning in the shipping box.

So....3 shipments, 3 damage claims. I'd expect that level of packaging ineptness from a clueless private Ebay seller, not an actual company. The larger boxes have got to be cheaper from Uline.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

You mention this is a "local" vendor, yes? I have to think it's be cheaper for them to simply start delivering the product themselves.
    A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Well, local as in regional (upstate New York, I think)...I know I've seen mustard-makers that are more local to us than that, so Corporate is in NYC so all buying decisions go through them which can be annoying. A few of our local (MA/RI) vendors do deliver personally which is nice.

I think the question the vendor needs to ask themselves now (and I mentioned this to J) is: is the risk of crediting at least half of every order worth the business for them? 3 out of 3 shipments arrived with some loss, I'd stop ordering from them until they wised up.

(even the chocolate bunnies which came from the same area didn't have this much attrition...but that was high enough volume that they were palletized)

Comment

...that sounds nasty...

You are charged with 3 counts of palletizing a chocolate bunny in a public place,thereby causing alarm and distress to it....
        The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

How can they not know that glass needs padding for shipping? They might be too stupid to own a business.

Comment

A former tech of ours was surprised to get in trouble when he stuck three repaired school clocks (the big eighteen inchers) in a box without padding and shipped them out; they arrived broken and the school complained.
            Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

Most of our big shipments consist of glass with no 'extra' padding other than the shipping cases, but one could argue that the densely-packed pallet itself is protection (packed Tetris-champion tight, wrapped and default S&H method minimizes damage).

These shipments are the first time I've seen plastic jugs explode, though...and there's never any visible damage to the outer shipping carton. J's not sure whether to blame the vendor, shipper or some combination of both.

Comment

Wow. How can they possibly stay in business with that kind of breakage? The jugs exploding sure is weird though.

Comment

Working...
                X