Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of mine is imagining a pencil drawing a line between me and them, helps me remember I'm a separate person and don't have to be sucked into their crazy. I think I like the "cartoon character" one better but I don't have great visual imagination skills so I might be concentrating too hard on "cartooning" them and not hear what they're saying. One thing I've heard of and want to try is imagining mean words bouncing off a force-field around oneself and skidding down the counter.
    "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

My stated method is that I just think about how shitty their day/life must be if they act like that everywhere. At least I only have to deal with a shouting idiot for a minute or two, they have to deal with it everywhere they go!

The less-Zenlike truth tends to result in me invoking all the rules & regs that state I can't do a damn thing, rather than looking for ways to bend them a bit...
      This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
      I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

There is one other thing I do. When someone is being a major asshole, I just get very quiet, only respond to direct questions, and finish the transaction as quickly and efficiently as possible. No friendly chit chat, no comments that aren't strictly necessary. This helps me keep my cool so I don't say anything nasty to them.
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
          ... say anything nasty true to them.
          Fixed what you said...
          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I smile and get very exact. It's amazing how angry a customer can get when you smile.

Comment

Quoth dakhur View Post
              I smile and get very exact. It's amazing how angry a customer can get when you smile.
              Of course! Because they are angry and they are hoping to make you angry ... and you are being extremely unkind to them when you don't take the bait.
              Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
              ~ Mr Hero

Comment

I come here.

Comment

1. I take my time sloooowly to aggravate them if they're yelling "HURRYUPHURRYUPI'LLMISSMYTRAIN/PLANE/BOAT" Not only does it give me satisfaction, it makes me make less mistakes.

2. I just think of them as babies or mentally ill. These don't know any better and are ignorant. That's why I sometimes refer to my custys as "adult babies" Throwing tantrums as all they can do, the imbeciles.
                  Can't reason with the unreasonable.
                  The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

Comment

I put on a really smiley and chirpy demeanor and repeat store policy over and over. What are they gonna do, complain that I was being polite and nice to them? XD

I also like to put my hand out of sight under the till and flip them off.
                    People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                    My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
                      What are they gonna do, complain that I was being polite and nice to them?
                      If I recall correctly there have been people (either on here or on NAR) who have posted about customers complaining that they were too upbeat and polite. Sometimes you just can't win...
                      "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

honestly, an 120 count bottle of Norco & a 60 count bottle of Xanax helped things immensely

Comment

I drink. A lot. Beer, rum, beer, wine, beer, whiskey, beer, tequila, beer, Bloody Marys, beer, mimosas, beer, etc.

Some may laugh at this or roll their eyes or sit in judgment. But--and this is the important part--I enjoy the hell out of life and do not get nearly as stressed out by the douchebags and assholes as so many of my CS counterparts.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                          Still A Customer."

Comment

It's been a while since I have had any truly sucky customers, but my method of coping with them was to remember that no matter how bad they were, I only had to deal with them for a short time. They had to live with themselves. Depending on the job, I would also go in the back and wash dishes or break down boxes or take out the trash just to have a couple of minutes to compose myself.
                            Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

I do my best to drown them in syrup, I speak Very Clearly, and I speak slower. I've never ever gotten in trouble for being being polite to an asshole. It doesn't always work, because I'm not always in control of my temper well enough to do all that, but when I can pull it off, it works like a charm. AND it pisses them off a LOT! ALOT!!!

Comment

Quoth Slave to the Phone View Post
                                I am there to help. I want to help. My customers are applying for government aid and have to jump through hoops. I don't make the rules for this, but I do have to follow them, so my advice is "Don't abuse the person who is trying to help. This really doesn't make them want to help you, it makes them want to just pend your case to make you go away."

I signed up online and didn't see any case workers in person but if I had I would've made that person my best friend in the world, not only for my benefit but because I know it's a very hard job to have and I appreciate the effort.

Quoth prjkt View Post
                                The louder the customer gets, the quieter I get.
                                Me, too. And when I do finally speak I am forceful and I will tell you about yourself the second it turns personal. I call people out on the carpet for that and they usually end up apologizing. I'm so grateful I work for a company that supports that. As long as I am professional in my demeanor and words I am allowed to tell them off if needed.
                                Last edited by Food Lady; 07-30-2017, 04:24 AM.
                                "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Working...
                                X