This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Funny (maybe) if you've got pets ... possibly more 'gross' if you don't

I wanted a small sandwich for supper, so had stopped at My Favourite Food Shop and bought (among other things) two mid-sized multi-grain buns.

Got home, sliced one, put butter on the top, went to put on some tea.

Came back ... cat is sitting on the table, with his back to my plate and his tail artistically draped right ... over ... the ... buttered ... bun ...
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

My cats would have been licking the butter off the bun.

The cat I inherited from my dad, Buddy, likes to try anything you're eating regardless of what it is. After he literally bit into the other end of a Pop Tart WHILE IT WAS IN MY MOUTH I decided I wasn't eating on the couch anymore.
    https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Butter not your buns, for they shall take a licking.
      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I've cohabited with cats for too much of my life, obviously; probably would barely faze me. Sigh, scrape, rebutter . . .

My Pookah won't go after anything that's actually in my mouth, but she HAS tried munching off the opposite edge of my plate. Not recently; that sort
        of thing is kitty-gets-a-flying-lesson time.

Comment

I might be able to top that... I once made a sandwich, put it on the kitchen counter and walked away to get some water.

Came back to find a disassembled sandwich with the cheese missing...

Comment

Heh, sounds like the cat knows which side his bread is buttered on. *chuckle* Honestly, though, I've lived with cats more than half my life. It probably wouldn't faze me much. Morgana pretty much nailed it with the sigh, scrape, rebutter.

Mister Kitteh has been known to steal food out of the pan on the stove, if it isn't actually hot (he managed to nab a chunk of chicken breast most recently). Not often, though, I know cats and know they're almost universally opportunistic thieves so I rarely give him the chance.

The big thing our monsters do (and all of them do it) is vulture at us while we eat. Sugar will happily take any dropped bits. She doesn't care if it's dropped accidentally or on purpose. If it hits the floor, it's hers. She's a dog. The cats sit on the desks on either side of me, watching every move I make with laser-like intensity. Mister Kitteh will often reach out and grab my hand with a paw (usually no claws, but if he's getting frustrated I might feel them a little) and pull it over where he can sniff it. Invariably, there is no food in my hand when I let him pull it over. Bittle wants to sniff, too, since she sees Mister Kitteh do it, but she usually won't eat any tidbits I give them (I share tidbits equally when I share any at all).
            You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Allie has ZERO interest in human food. Her predecessor, Felix, didn't really care for the cat classics like meat, but loved a certain brand of string cheese, a particular brand/flavor of ice cream, or McDonald's fries. To the point that he'd get into my lap while I was eating a preferred item to make sure he got his share.

Ava, our dove, LOVES popcorn. If she has opportunity, she'll land IN the bowl to try to help herself, even if it is too big for her beak. One time, I was eating a turkey sandwich, and she landed on the arm of the chair looking curious. I held out the sandwich for inspection and she actually seemed to like it. I can understand her enjoying the bread, but her enthusiasm for the turkey was a little disturbing, really.
              "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

The last bit reminds me of an episode of Dharma & Greg, where their friend Jane feeds some thanksgiving turkey.... to a rescued turkey!

Our cats are not allowed on the counters at all!

...when anybody's looking...
                “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Feeding a bit of turkey to a turkey definitely wouldn't hurt it... did you know chickens are cannibals? I would presume turkeys are too.

Nature is... interesting.

Comment

I learned the hard way that any time I go to Arby's and get a roast beef and cheddar, I have to get 2.

Otherwise, I have a cat who will be in my LAP trying to nibble on the other side of the bun if I don't tear off a piece of meat and hand feed her.

Or rather, two of them. Penelope doesn't seem too interested in people food too much. Gidget and Phoebe (the tiger stripe I recently rescued a few weeks ago who has become Gidget's shadow) will be all over me. And they'll fight over it.

Same with anything that's chicken. I've seen Phoebe smack Gidget away with her paw while chowing down on a sizeable chunk of roast beef.

It's so bad that I have to close the doors and lock them out.
                    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Many years ago I was eating -- or trying to eat -- a hot-cross bun and one of the cats I then shared house space with was going nuts trying to get at it. At one point I held it as high as I could ... only to have said cat climb onto my head because hey, that brought him closer to the bun!

Finally gave up and shared it with him.
                      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
                        Many years ago I was eating -- or trying to eat -- a hot-cross bun and one of the cats I then shared house space with was going nuts trying to get at it. At one point I held it as high as I could ... only to have said cat climb onto my head because hey, that brought him closer to the bun!

Finally gave up and shared it with him.
                        Reminds me of the cat I had, my Kris-Cat, that just absolutely loved Pop-Tarts. This cat would claw his way into a locked cabinet to get at the box, then pull out a packet and tear it open and gorge. This is the same cat that I watched one time figure out how to open a pop-top single serve can of peaches so he could drink the juice (had plenty of fresh water available, he was just a weird cat). He did, too. Got the can open enough to let the juice dribble out and spent the next 10 minutes or so happily lapping it up.
                        You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Cats can do amazing things when food is involved.
                          ~ Mr Hero

Comment

My beloved late cat Shredder always had to have a taste of whatever I was eating. Always. Didn't matter what it was, didn't matter if it was something she and I both knew she didn't like, I had to offer her a taste... or else she'd come up with a way to get a taste, and usually make a huge mess in the process.

The two items I remember most were sweetened condensed milk, and fresh soft liquorice. With the sweetened condensed milk, I used to eat it out of the can (er... I was in university, barely out of my teens, and I didn't so much have a sweet tooth as I had a full set of sweet teeth. Ahem). I didn't want to share with the cat, because I knew milk isn't good for cats, so condensed milk had to be really bad, right? So I didn't share.

Shredder waited until the spoon was on its way to my mouth, jumped up, hit the spoon with one paw, and ran off (leaving sticky pawprints) to lick her ill-gotten gains off her paw in peace.

The next time I had some, I was guarding the spoon. Shredder watched for an opening for a while, decided I wasn't leaving one, walked off in a huff... then sneaked back around the room behind the furniture. She suddenly leapt over the back of the sofa, ran down my front, put one front paw RIGHT in the can as she passed, and galloped off leaving gobs of condensed milk all over the place. That night, after licking it all off her leg (and 'helping' me clean the rest off the carpet), she had horrendous gas and farted me out of my bedroom gasping for air twice.

I started letting her have a lick of sweetened condensed milk off my finger after that. As long as she got a taste, she was fine.

With the liquorice, I (again) didn't think it was good for cats. Shredder pulled the appearing-over-the-back-of-the-sofa trick again, dove head-first into the bag, and ran off with a whole stick of it in her mouth. She took it under the bed (where I couldn't reach her!) and left it there after chewing on it for a while, covered in toothmarks and kitty drool and leaking black goo onto the carpet.

I learned my lesson after that, and started pinching off a tiny bit for her whenever I was eating some. She really liked it - she'd sit there mumbling it around in her mouth until she had black froth at the corners of her jaw, then carefully wash her face clean.

Comment

My cat always likes to mess with my food. Just yesterday I was eating a Bucket O Chicken. He tried to paw it and meowed. I told him to go, finished my chicken, put the bones in bowl and left for the bathroom. When i got back he was chowing down on them! I told him dogs eat bones not cats and swatted him with my underwear. It was the closest thing. He slashed and bit it! Honestly i think i got a dog instead of cat sometimes. ...
                              Can't reason with the unreasonable.
                              The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

Comment

Working...
                              X