This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This week at work

Earlier this week I dealt with 2 separate difficult situations, and I would like your feedback.

The first situation:

I was giving breaks to some of my co-workers. The Kroger I work at, you do not have to clock out for your 30 minute break. However, there are front-end employees at the location I work at who take more than a 30 minute break. The front-end supervisor that day asked me to call over the store intercom for the cashier I was giving a break to... to come back to her register. She got pissed off at that when she returned. She glared at me when she returned, and when I told her that the front-end supervisor asked me to call her name over the intercom, she glared at me again. She then paged one of the assistant managers over the store intercom. Twice that day she left her register, I was at register 11 and she was at register 10, to go somewhere else. She was gone for several minutes.

The second situation:

This involved a customer who likes to pull scams. She had her young daughter with her. She was had a cart-load of groceries. She gave me an expired rain check that she wanted to use. So I called for a manager to come over to the register I was at. The assistant front-end manager came over. He told her the she could not use her rain check because it was expired. She was not happy about that. At that point my instincts told me that something was not right about the entire situation. She told the assistant front-end manager that she would go to the location closer to where she lives since that location will accept her expired rain check. She began unloading her cart, and I scanned the groceries as quickly as possible since we were all trained to do this. She had several coupons to use, but she did not organize her coupons. She was still going through her coupons when I finished scanning her groceries. There were other customers waiting in line. It was apparent that she wanted to take her time. So I scanned the coupons she gave me, and I put them in the drawer where they go. She continued going through her coupons. I continued scanning them and putting them in the drawer. Then she claimed she got confused and wanted to know how many of "x" item she bought as well as how many coupons she gave me of "x" item. I told her that I scanned the coupons she gave me. She told me that I was too fast, and that I was not doing my job correctly. She then unloaded more groceries from her cart and gave me more coupons to scan. While she was paying for her groceries, she asked me "why is the card reader asking me for my phone number when I already gave you my Kroger card." So I replied "I do not know why." She then huffed and puffed and said "well, you need to fix that dear." So I fixed the problem, and she paid for her groceries. But then she asked if she got 3 catalina coupons from the machine that is at the register, and I told her that nothing printed from that machine. So I called for a manager to come to my register. The same assistant front-end manager arrived, and told her that does not know why that happened. He told her to go to Guest Care. Turns out from him she wants to scam Kroger, that she has come to his line in the past, and that he does not like dealing with her.

I would like your feedback on each situation.

You are kinda stuck in a tough spot in both situations.

First: In the case of the coworker who is leaving her station, does she do this a lot, or was it just that one day? If she often does this, maybe you could just keep your supervisor/manager/anybody in authority apprised about it. You have to be careful not to sound whiny when you do it. You might want to act concerned and ask (a) if she's okay, because she left her station (again) without warning a couple of times ... is she sick? and (b) how do they want you to handle it if somebody goes to her register and she's not there (or does she put up the "Next register" sign when she leaves?) And do they want you to notify them if you get a sudden rush during those times, so they can send somebody else to open a register?

And if she glares at you, try to smile sweetly back at her. It'll piss her off BIG TIME. Whatever you do, don't let it bother you. She's taking it out on you because she's likely aware that she had better not go glaring at the front-end supervisor.

Second: The assistant front-end manager doesn't have to like idiots like this, but he is being paid to deal with them. It sounds to me as if she was trying to rattle and confuse you, and you were doing an admirable job of refusing to get rattled and confused. I've been in that situation. There is, unfortunately, nothing you can really do with a PITA customer like that except keep your cool and work at an efficient pace without allowing them to stampede you.

If there are other cashiers near you who can see what's going on and have no customers, they should call over that they can "take who's next." If you know that another cashier can take some of the customers who are being held up by Madam Entitled, and IF you can keep your tone pleasant, you could say, "My coworker over there is also open; perhaps somebody would like to go to her/him?" Don't do that if your aggravation is going to show, though. That'll really give Madam Entitled something to whine about.

This is just my 2 Knuts. If anybody sees a problem with any of my advice, for heaven's sakes speak up, LOL. "Dear Abby" I'm not.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Pix, I think your advice is perfect.
      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Working...
      X