This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vaca/anniversary travel -- DC area

So my honey bunch and I have managed to get to our 25th anniversary (soon) and have a trip to the DC area planned. I have hotel arrangements made and have contacted my congressman's office to schedule a tour of the capital building. We didn't allow enough time to get a tour of the White House scheduled. I know there are all sorts of monuments to tour along with museums, etc. Anyone have any suggestions on "Must Do" things? Places to eat? We are not any type of fancy. We have found many times, the best food is a little hole in the wall type place. It will just be us, our first trip in years without the kids. We want to enjoy this one.

So....suggestions? Go!

I've been to DC several times. Getting around the city isn't too bad--use the Metro, as traffic tends to suck during the day. I'd hit up the Capitol, Lincoln Memorial, Washington Monument (might be a line, as the top is pretty small), Vietnam Vets Memorial, Arlington, the zoo, Ford's Theater (where Lincoln was shot)--all of which come to mind. Other places you might check out are Annapolis, Baltimore (B&O train museum, aquarium, preserved U-boat and Coast Guard cutter on the waterfront). I wish I could remember the various restaurants and other things...but it's been nearly 30 years since I was last there
    Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

The Washington Monument is closed to visitors till 2019 due to upgrades to the elevator system.
      "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

Thanks, guys/gals. We are so excited. This will be our first real vacation without the kids and we look forward to just enjoying being together. We're driving in to Alexandria and will ride the metro into DC for our sight-seeing. But since we are driving in, we'll have the car to go to those further destinations and sites.

I love to go places. Actually, I hate the travel to and from, but love site seeing once I get where I'm going.

Comment

If you have the time, the Smithsonian. Be warned, it is HUGE! You could spend an entire day in just small sections of it.
          Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
          Save the Ales!
          Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Working...
          X