This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chased a child today. (Needed help)

Working at the Wally World today and just hit my 15 min break. I'm sitting on a bench on the inside door relaxing when out of the corner of my eye a little girl maybe 5 or 6 is walking out the door. I'm thinking " She shouldn't be alone" and I wait for the parent/parents. No sign, and I notice she goes to an aisle outside and disappears behind a car, as I'm watching I hear a car door and think "ah, that's that then." Seconds later I see her again maybe 50-60 feet away heading to the (100 feet or more) away gas station. (not across the road but far) and then starts heading back. I see her zig zagging through traffic and I start to panic, I jumped up at the time she was heading toward the station and I started running toward her, I walked up to her and asked if she was lost and if I could help her find her parents she nodded (though scared) and I held her hand as we walked back to the store. Luckily an Assistant Manager I know saw her as well (I just got to her first) and after finding out that I was not her parent she took over for me and helped take her to the service desk. They found the parents, I think the kid just thought they went went to the car and then she couldn't find it. Story is over, but I swear if they watch the video of me on that bench you can see the levels of anxiety soaring as the seconds passed and I realized she didn't have parents with her.

Thank you for taking care of that little girl.

I sure hope the parents got a good scare and will keep a better eye on their precious child from now on.
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Thanks,

I didn't see the outcome, I worked in a different department. I'm not sure what the AM told the customer but if she described what I saw I would be horrified. Cars literally stopped in front of her. I didn't see anyone leave their vehicle but anyone could have grabbed her. She was very little.

If I had kids I would not let them go outside of my view, or even that far away from me to even make them assume I had left them.

Of course it could have been a honest mistake, maybe they couldn't find her and started looking around. I didn't hear anything over the intercom so I don't know.

Comment

Some people should not breed. I know dogs with more intelligence when taking care of their young. My Fathers Sec wife was in that boat. She left her oldest boy (the Sec Child) at Church twice, Store 3 times, school 5 times and a public park once. I once joked that she was trying to get rid of him, which surprised me as i was the one she hated.

Good Job Eddyisme!

Comment

Thanks! I just did what I had to.

I'm just glad the kid was okay. I have a lot of idiot drivers in my area (doesn't everyone?).

Comment

One time I was visiting my GF in a large apartment complex. Off in the distance, I hear a woman calling out for Ella, like maybe trying to call a dog that has run off. A minute later, a ~4-year-old girl comes walking past me from that direction. I catch up with her, and ask if her name is Ella.

"Bella", she replies. So I take her hand and start walking her back to where the woman is calling. I remind her that it's not a good thing to run off and make Mommy worry like that. I also shout out, "Over here!", so hopefully she knows we're on the way back.

So imagine you're Mommy, and you see a very disreputable-looking large guy with long hair and a green trench-coat, walking your daughter back to you. I'm a bit surprised (and pleased) that she didn't defecate construction materials when she saw me. She was happy to have the little girl back.

My girlfriend was amused by the story once she got home from work.
            “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
            One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
            The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

When I was a kid I ran away from my mom in a store once. My brother did it once, too. We were snot-nosed brats who were asking for it. We put effort into running away and getting lost. I wouldn't call her a bad parent. She legit tried. So I wouldn't immediately bash the parent without knowing what transpired on their end. Because no matter how much firm and regular discipline you provide, some kids are just rebels. My mom can say "I hope you one day have kids that are just like you were," and mean it in a true karma-is-gonna-kick-your-ass sort of way.
              Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
                When I was a kid I ran away from my mom in a store once. My brother did it once, too. We were snot-nosed brats who were asking for it. We put effort into running away and getting lost.
                While I didn't do it deliberately, I did have a tendency to get distracted by, well, everything. As such I spent the first couple of years of my walking life on reigns. I actually quite enjoyed that, as when I tried to "run away" my mum would just pick me up and let me swing on the reins for about 30 seconds. Guess what I tried to do on a regular basis?
                "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth Eddyisme View Post
                  Thanks! I just did what I had to.

I'm just glad the kid was okay. I have a lot of idiot drivers in my area (doesn't everyone?).
                  And even non-idiot drivers might honestly not see her (kids are short). How awful would it be to hit her because of that? It would ruin one's life. It's one of my biggest fears. Thank you for saving that girl and possibly someone else's!

bhskittykatt, my brother was always running off. My mom is the sort of parent who does not make empty threats. One time she told him, "If you run off one more time I will leave you in this store!!" He did and she did. She left him in the grocery store and went home. Now, don't freak out. Our friend's fabric shop was right next door and she knew he'd immediately go to friend for help. He called the house sheepishly and Mom went back for him. I'm sure he got a bit of a scolding from Friend as well as Mom. After that you'd think he wouldn't wander away anymore. He didn't learn anything. My brother: "I do what I want."
                  Last edited by Food Lady; 04-24-2016, 04:36 PM.
                  "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

I become absolutely infuriated by parents that can't or won't control their kids; maybe they're hoping for an insurance payout or a "juicy" lawsuit.

These idiots let their little brats climb all over the cart while they shop. When they are in my section, I keep an eye open in case I have to attempt to catch a child before he or she falls out of the cart, smashes his/her noggin, and subsequently becomes stupider than the parents. Be a parent! And no, I don't care about liablity issues. I care that little Dumbass Jr. is on the verge of taking a spill and cracking his skull, while mommy and daddy are somehow absolutely fascinated with a box of nails. So, in addition to being sucky customers, you are also shitty parents. Why not just complete the trifecta and take a dump on the floor? Watch your damn kids, you morons!

Comment

Working...
                    X