This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dear Restaurant Management

Please, please, please duct the smoke from that piece of cooking equipment directly to the outdoors. Letting it escape into the kitchen is cruel and unusual.

Seriously, the smoke from that thing is straight nasty, especially when you're already sick. I feel sicker now than I did when I clocked on, mostly because of the smoke. It makes your eyes burn, it makes you have to cough and sneeze more often, and I'm pretty sure enough of it could give someone legitimate lung problems. I've been outside the restaurant for at least 45 minutes now, and I still feel like I'm suffering from the smoke.

Seriously, that's just not right.
    Just stay out of the "workplace memes" thread. Please. I mean it.

Sounds like a workplace violation. Anonymous report?
    This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
    I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

I'd have to check it out... you'd think one of the longer-standing employees would already have complained if it was actionable. But then, maybe not. I don't want to describe the equipment, because that might give away where I work, but I will say it's not a grease vat (though I think that smokes too sometimes). Also, I kind of unofficially owe the restaurant boss one after she saved my butt from one of the obnoxious managers the other day. I'd feel terrible if I repaid her by bringing the wrath of OSHA down on her.

Interestingly, however, I found out from the schedule today that a coworker who was driving me nuts has quit.
      Last edited by Shotgun Chuck; 04-17-2016, 06:48 AM.

Comment

Wouldn't you feel more terrible if you and your coworkers start developing respiratory problems from constant smoke exposure? And then she'd have a lawsuit on her hands? What if a new co-worker has asthma? That smoke could be potentially deadly for them.
        The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

You don't have to report them as the first step. Talk to the manager to alert them, they might not know something needs to be fixed. Their response and actions will tell you if they can be trusted or you need to contact osha
          How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

Quoth Soulstealer View Post
            You don't have to report them as the first step. Talk to the manager to alert them, they might not know something needs to be fixed. Their response and actions will tell you if they can be trusted or you need to contact osha
            Thank you. I'll have to bring it up tomorrow then. That stuff is awful.

Pot cigarettes (fortunately not being smoked by coworkers) are awful too. As you walk back toward the restaurant, you see a few punkish-looking customers heading towards the door as well. You notice one of them has a cigarette in his mouth. You then notice that it looks kinda funny, like it's not a name brand. You hold the door for them and then follow them into the tiny arctic entry. You start to smell the smoke, and something doesn't seem quite right. Then, as your eyes start to water and you become loath to breathe, you realize that 1. that's not tobacco smoke and 2. everything you know about morality says it's okay to club this guy over the head with whatever falls to hand.

Comment

Any time I've worked in a restaurant kitchen any cooking appliance/surfaces had to be vented outside by law...this included the flat-top grill, stove elements, and bank of deep-fryers. There also had to be a fire suppression system built in so that all we had to do was reach up and pull a chain to activate it. Any smoke coming off of cooking areas was sucked away through the vents.

I always thought this was law everywhere, but obviously not? I don't know...

Comment

Quoth KuariKaydrith View Post
                Any time I've worked in a restaurant kitchen any cooking appliance/surfaces had to be vented outside by law...this included the flat-top grill, stove elements, and bank of deep-fryers. There also had to be a fire suppression system built in so that all we had to do was reach up and pull a chain to activate it. Any smoke coming off of cooking areas was sucked away through the vents.

I always thought this was law everywhere, but obviously not? I don't know...
                This brings up an interesting point. If there is that much unvented smoke rolling around in there, why hasn't an alarm gone off? Could it be that there aren't any, or at least no functional ones?

Even if there are, having thick enough smoke to affect your breathing, sight, etc., IS a violation and it needs to be fixed.
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Sitrep: I overheard today that the ventilation system malfunctioned and that they should have someone out to look at it soon. Apparently the equipment isn't supposed to be smoking up the building like that.

Comment

MoonCat, most restaurants don't have smoke detectors in the kitchen, too easy to set them off on accident. The usual units used in the kitchen are flame and/or heat detectors. Too easy to set off a smoke detector searing a steak or somesuch.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                      Even if there are, having thick enough smoke to affect your breathing, sight, etc., IS a violation and it needs to be fixed.
                      And I'm sure it will, because restaurants always fix violations that are health hazards for their workers.
                      “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                      One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                      The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
                        And I'm sure it will, because restaurants always fix violations that are health hazards for their workers.
                        They do when OSHA or the Dept. of Health threatens to shut them down unless/until it's fixed.

Due to an anonymous phone call or letter, of course.
                        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

The ventilation has been fixed! No more brain-melting demon smoke! Hooray!

Comment

Working...
                          X