This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First or Weirdest Job?

So as I have stated I have worked in a lot of different places / Industries, That being said I wonder if anyone else has had a truly weird job or first job.

For context I was in Junior High and decided i wanted to make money. Other people had it I liked it so what the Hades I went and got a job. Now as I lived in Rural Washington State there was not a whole lot of opportunities for work. But I found one place that would Hire a teen it was a semi professional Chocolate shop. (No Wonka and the ump a lumpas were not there.) To be more specific it was an X-rated Chocolate shop. My job was to bag everything up.

I had the job for 3 days till my highly religious stepmother found out what kind of chocolates they made and lost her collective mind.

So what is your all's weirdest or first job?

Never did anything weird. My first job was for a grand opening at Michaels. during the interview process, they swore up and down that they were NOT hiring temporary for the grand opening, and that we were permanent staff members. After the grand opening, they let everyone go. Before that I did a lot of baby-sitting

Comment

While in HS, I took a job cleaning for this one woman. Who's son was in my class, so i had the added bonus of seeing him while there. Looking back, she had some major OCD. She had me in 4 days a week, and I had to clean all the bathrooms every day, and leave not a trace of anything. Why i don't know since they really were not messy to begin with. I also had to dust and vacuum the main living spaces, but thankfully not the boys (she had a younger son) bedrooms. When vacuuming, I had to go back over to not leave any trails, you know how the vacuum will leave a trail in the nap of the carpet? nope, none of that.

I was desperate for money so i stayed even though she drove me nuts with her pickiness! Thankfully, she fired me after several months, but wow, that was my first experience with any kind of anal housekeeper.

Comment

My very first job and also my weirdest, was hired as a dispatcher for a shipping company. I originally wanted to be a delivery driver, but somehow...I'm still not sure what happened. Anyway, I only worked for a day 100 miles away from where I was supposed to, with a girl in her underwear and wearing very skimpy see thru clothes. Yeah I don't get it either. At least the manager gave me his car to drive there. For some reason. ???? Then I got let go. Very weird, indeed.
        Can't reason with the unreasonable.
        The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

Comment

I haven't had a weird job in the normal sense, but my first job was at a grocery store a few minutes from where i am living right now.

The weirdest parts about that job?

1) i was an opening cart guy one day and people were shocking each other with stun guns in the parking lot

2) the last 2 shifts i worked, some old guy drove up to the store on his riding lawn mower.... that one made me go WTF.
          If anyone breaks the three pint rule, they'll be running all night to the pisser and back.

Comment

That last one sounds like something out of "One More Last Chance" by Vince Gill - "She might have took my car keys, but she forgot about my old John Deere". I've heard rumours that this line was based on an incident that actually happened with George Jones (RIP) back in his drinking days.
            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Not sure you would call it weird, but back in Phoenix, I had a contract with a marketing company to collect gas prices on an assigned route six days a week. It fit in well with my newspaper/magazine delivery contracts that I had at the time.
              Seph
              Taur10
              "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

Well, not my job, but a relative of mine works for a hospital taking photos of injuries and operations and such. And hey, I probably wouldn't want a junior high aged kid working with x-rated chocolate either. Wait until high school at least, lol.
                Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

First job was at 7 working for my parents. Worked for them until I was 19. They didn't like to pay me. I guess I got used to being screwed over. Generally worked 10 hours with no breaks in mom's gift shop. I also helped out in the tea room in her shop - I was the hostess, waitress, bus boy and sou chef. I wasn't allowed to keep my tips, I was supposed to give them to my Uncle who was the tearoom chef.

First job working for someone else was at Hancock Fabrics. I absolutely loved it, but unfortunately I was let go after 5 weeks because unbeknownst to me, I was covering another employee's maternity leave and she was coming back to work. I remember feeling betrayed then too.
                  https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

I've mentioned this before I think:

When I was 16 I really, really wanted a job. The only thing I could find was one of those horrible door-to-door magazine sales things. The first day, the boss picked me up in his car and we drove to his business partner's place to pick him up. Went up to his apartment and the guy was just coming out of the bedroom, half dressed . At the time I was the kind of shy kid who would jump if you said boo. I was mortified, but whatever.

I lasted a few days, then I came down with a really rotten cold and I used it as an excuse not to ever go back.

Oh yeah, this other kid they partnered me with asked me if I might ever go out with him sometime. Again, being so introverted I made turtles look outgoing, I couldn't say no, so I said yeah maybe. I was flattered, even though he gave me his phone number and told me to call him rather than the other way around.

About 10 years later I saw his pic in the newspaper. He'd been charged with raping and killing his girlfriend.
                    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

In my early 20's in between fast food jobs I worked for about 3 months as a dog bather in a dog grooming shop.
                      I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                      -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

So unlike your current job, the dirty bitches and sons-of-bitches you had to deal with there were literal, rather than figurative.
                        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
                          In my early 20's in between fast food jobs I worked for about 3 months as a dog bather in a dog grooming shop.
                          That could work out. I'm betting most of the dogs were nicer than a lot of human customers.
                          "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Being an accountant, I've had a few interesting jobs cross my desk over the years.

One of them was the self-employed pole-dancer. Lovely lady, she was doing it to put herself through Uni back before tuition fees soared to silly levels. It worked too; she managed to pay all the big stuff (rent, tuition, books) in advance and just work part-time for food, clothes and booze in the year. I never thought I'd put through baby oil, sequins and Anne Summers invoices as valid business expenses!

Another one was a mercenary who provided security services for workers in Afghanistan. That was an interesting one; we couldn't have his home address on file for his own safety, and a large chunk of his overheads (outside of travel & subsistence) was for guns and ammo. They all had to be written off each time he went home as he'd wait until he was a few miles out of port then drop them over the side so that insurgents couldn't use them.

Who says being an accountant is boring?
                            "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

My first job was when I was 12 and I answered the ad posted in my apartment complex's laundry room looking for a baby sitter 2-3 evenings a week. The hours weren't too late during the week and weekends weren't a big issue as we all lived in the same complex.

At first it was okay, but then the missus started getting angry over something but wouldn't tell me why. And then she stopped calling me to babysit. My mother went to talk to her about it because nothing had been said to me. Apparently the missus was pissed off because I didn't clean her house while I was babysitting. Um...I was paid to look after her kid, not be her housekeeper. I could understand if I had made a mess or something, but I always cleaned up after myself and the kid. But I was not about to vacuum the house or clean the bathrooms, or pretty much any of the other scut work she expected of me.

I think my weirdest job was another babysitting job I had picked up. I used to be the complex babysitter once I turned 14 so it was nothing for me to be looking after kids four, five, sometimes six nights a week. If the people really liked me they would keep me on as their go-to sitter even after they moved out of the complex. Such was the case with this particular job.

Going in, I knew they were part of a large biker gang but I never paid any attention to it as long as they treated me well and paid at the end of the night. This particular night they were holding a huge party and I was to look after a group of kids at $10/hr per kid (meaning I'd walk out of there with a nice bundle, and I certainly did). The area of the house we were in was out of bounds for the adult party-goes (except for the parents, of course), and if the kids needed anything I was the only one permitted to go up to the kitchen to grab whatever it was - snacks, drinks, whatever.

During one of my ventures into the kitchen one of the party goers whom I had never seen before took a liking to me. Rule #1 of the house was the babysitter is completely off-limits - you can talk, but don't touch or try anything funny. Dude apparently forgot that particular rule. He was caught more than once trying to sneak into where I was with the kids, and once the kids were all sound asleep he tried something a bit more...um...hands on. He got caught trying to shove his hands down my pants by one of the scarier bikers. The scary guy made sure I was okay and told me to head to bed with the kids. Needless to say I did exactly that, no matter how badly I had to pee or anything.

I found out the next day that the one guy had been hauled out by ambulance and his bike trashed. When I asked what happened I was told that the guy had violated the most important rule - don't touch the babysitter. Not only was I a minor, but I was not there to provide entertainment to horny biker guys, something that had been made abundantly clear to every person at the party. I never asked for more details because, well, it was just better not to know more than the fact that the guys had my back.

Comment

Working...
                              X