Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Events at work you don't really want to do but kind of have to...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth KuariKaydrith View Post
    Sounds pretty typical of most call center environments I've worked in. I only participated in the ones I wanted to, but there were always those who participated in absolutely everything they could. It would drive me nuts with how excited these people would get. And it was even worse on those days where there was some sort of activity planned because they would never remain at their desk because they were either participating in several things or wanted to watch. Never mind that the call volume was through the rough while they did this utter fuckery, and when spoken to about it they would get all huffy and puffy because they were 'just trying to have fun!' Yeah, at the expense of the rest of us -_-

I honestly didn't care if not participating meant that I was less likely to get any sort of promotion. If my work couldn't speak for itself then fuck it all.
    That whole description is annoying. First, everyone gets to participate at once, so that calls are not taken? And now those people who choose to work have to work harder to make up for the CWs who go to these events? Second, your CWs want to have fun... That's nice, I'd like to sit at home and play video games and get paid for it, but life isn't perfect so there's this thing called a "job" and while you're there you do this thing called "work." Maybe sometimes that work is also fun, but FUN is not what you get paid for. (And if so, give me that job plz)

I hope when I get a full time job they don't do crap like this. I will give to a charity of my choosing. I don't like parties which are based on holidays. I just don't feel they have any place at work, they're more personal and family oriented to me. (Yes I know traditionally these have been present in workplaces but times change, this is just my opinion) Team building is useless if everyone is miserable, and no amount of potlucks or casual Friday's will fix that. At my work there's one big potluck, for Black Friday. I like this. There's lots of food, and I do think it's a bit of a moral booster. But nobody has to participate and it's very casual.
    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

At my previous job, Team Building was the name we entered into our calendars for the last Friday of the month lunch at the micro-brewery down the corner.

We'd also have an urgent Team Building Meeting when we got hint of a fire drill that day.

Fortunately I actually liked my colleagues... well, after all that Team Building, who wouldn't?

Comment

Quoth LesserSouthernFroglet View Post
        At my previous job, Team Building was the name we entered into our calendars for the last Friday of the month lunch at the micro-brewery down the corner.

We'd also have an urgent Team Building Meeting when we got hint of a fire drill that day.

Fortunately I actually liked my colleagues... well, after all that Team Building, who wouldn't?
        Along the same lines, toward the end of my time at my last job, we got a new CIO.

He decided that we were all going to do a case study, at 5 p.m. on a Friday. In the bar downstairs.

My contribution was an elaboration on the qualities of Motor City Brewing Works' Nut Brown Ale.
        "I often look at every second idiot and think, 'He needs more power.'" --Varric Tethras, Dragon Age II

Comment

We are never forced to participate in anything. We do have the occasional cake in the conference room for birthdays. We are very multicultural and respect each other's backgrounds. Desks are allowed to be decorated during the holidays and you can wear xmas jewelry etc. We all pretty much like each other and cover for each other so its a pretty pleasant place to work. We have holiday parties for staff/faculty and there are backgrounds from Jewish, to Muslim, to Christian etc. At my other location/desk we have a potluck where everyone brings something from their own background. I think the last one had more than five different cultures.

Funny story from years ago. My coworker, who I will refer to as mother bird (she was awesome), was putting up x mas stockings on the doc's office doors and someone pointed out that the one doc was Jewish so she took that one down. Later that doc comes up to her desk and says "Hey where's my stocking?" He still wanted in on the fun even though its not his religion.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
            That whole description is annoying. First, everyone gets to participate at once, so that calls are not taken? And now those people who choose to work have to work harder to make up for the CWs who go to these events?
            Not at my center. Events are usually run for up to 4 hours and as long as 8 hours to give as many people as possible time to participate. Some managers might be nice and give teams some extra time off the phones to attend, other times it's voluntary and you just go on your lunch or break if you want to.

As to the previous comment of "it sounds like high school", that is very true of many call centers...in more ways than just this one. But that's a thread for another day.
            "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Quoth Shyla View Post
              Fun with coworkers. Yuck. And having to participate to be a team player. Double yuck.
              Actually this is how I feel too. I also hate it when someone else's "team building" crap interferes with my work. Accounting used to do an office Olympics thing, complete with screaming and pounding on desks. I hated that.
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
                But that's a thread for another day.
                *again is impatiently waiting for another day...*
                “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Oh morale boosting activities.... To all the previous call centers I've worked in previously: stupid hat days and ugly shirt days only work on improving morale when you don't treat your employees like a poorly maintained toilet that is always backing up. Trying to distract us with silly things when your call center is poorly managed doesn't work.

Comment

For a few months we were divided into teams to see who could sell the most candy bars of the month. I have one coworker that we joke trash talk to each other (she outsells me because she on the register more and I don't care about it) but we have fun with it. There are a couple though that take it way to seriously. It's not like we even get anything for "winning". The company even took away the stupid $10 gift card for being employee of the month. Couple months before I was bestowed the honor. Way to boost morale right there.
                    I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

Working...
                    X