X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Company tries to avoid "do you work here?"

So....
    My company decided to add aprons to our dress code. They say our customers want to make us more identifiable.

We did wear headsets and lanyards.
    With the aprons, we still wear our headsets and now name-tags instead of lanyards.

I'll admit, I like the aprons. I like to wear dresses and it's difficult to find a place to put your headset without wearing a belt around the dress. The aprons have pockets!

That said...
    I still get asked, at least FIVE times a shift, if I work there.
    Yes, wearing an apron, name-tag and a headset.

Sigh.
    "There is no rehab for stupidity." --Chris Rock
    "You learn something new and stupid every day you work in retail."--IhateCrappyTire

"Nope, I just like putting on this store's uniform and hanging out here all day for no reason."
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
    One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
    The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Can't say I'm surprised
      Tell me you aren't, ZZ.
      I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
      -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

The best one I've had on that theme was a customer who asked 'Do you work here, or are you just a cleaner?'

I think my face spoke murder because she said 'never mind, I'll find it' and moved away at top speed.

Apparently, cleaning isn't work.
        Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

We have lanyards but still get asked "do you work here" (a slightly different phrasing that's popped up is "are you working"...wtf).

I've also discovered that they can be hazards in the warehouse and elsewhere; neck strap is a solid piece and the only quick-release is on the badge clip (useless design).
          "I am quite confident that I do exist."
          "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Sometimes I think if you wore all that plus a beanie hat with -- instead of a propeller -- a revolving flashing sign that reads "YES I DO WORK HERE" ... you'd still get people walking up to you and saying, "Do you work here?"

At which point, IMO, you would be justified in concussing them with the nearest heavy object.
            Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
            ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
              "Nope, I just like putting on this store's uniform and hanging out here all day for no reason."
              You forgot the "Here's your sign"...
              Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Quoth Marmalady View Post
                The best one I've had on that theme was a customer who asked 'Do you work here, or are you just a cleaner?'

I think my face spoke murder because she said 'never mind, I'll find it' and moved away at top speed.

Apparently, cleaning isn't work.
                Cleaning is work but a lot of places do use outside contracting firms for janitorial staff. Those employees wouldn't know where the hot sauce was, for example.
                "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

I have to wear a high-vis with my company name on the back where I work, and I still get customers asking me, "Do you work here?"
                  People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                  My DeviantArt.

Comment

Who walks around in public in an apron if they're not working??
                    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Doncha KNOW what a fashion statement an apron is? Most especially the work apron that doesn't fit, has ink stains ALL over it, maybe other stains, and sags from the overloaded pockets?!

Comment

Quoth WishfulSpirit View Post
                        Cleaning is work but a lot of places do use outside contracting firms for janitorial staff. Those employees wouldn't know where the hot sauce was, for example.
                        I'm a contractor myself, but always at the same store, so I do know where the hot sauce is

It was the 'just' a cleaner bit that got me. Bearing in mind what the place would very soon look like if we weren't there.
                        Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Quoth Minflick View Post
                          Doncha KNOW what a fashion statement an apron is? Most especially the work apron that doesn't fit, has ink stains ALL over it, maybe other stains, and sags from the overloaded pockets?!
                          I fortunately keep mine clean
                          My problem is the pockets are like Mary Poppins' handbag. Can't find a damn thing in them. Which is why I try to keep my store keys in my jeans pocket. LOL
                          "There is no rehab for stupidity." --Chris Rock
                          "You learn something new and stupid every day you work in retail."--IhateCrappyTire

Comment

Quoth WishfulSpirit View Post
                            The public library system I work for does that......I believe the way it works is that some of the library branches will have a contract with "Cleaning Company A", and some have a contract with "Cleaning Company B".

Comment

Working...
                            X