This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We HAVE a performing arts center!

I guess I could be considered a customer of my city; I pay taxes. Loose definition, I know. Now let me set up my Sunday morning situation for you: my church is in a residential neighborhood with older more narrow streets and which contains a large public park. Also, directly across from it is the fire station. They have a bit of extra street but trying to get out of that neighborhood in a hurry on a regular day is difficult. It's hard to find a spot because you have to avoid driveways and such, but you can park on most streets.

Despite the fact that we have a nice, large performing arts center not a mile from there, the city has decided that it's a good idea to have some art festival in the park itself. The date changes and it's only once a year so of course I didn't know it was going on. Cue me getting down there and having absolutely nowhere to park because they put up tons of no parking signs on several streets all around. I had to go past those and drive around and around, weaving among the cars that did have spaces and the pedestrians, until I gave up. I texted the children's ministry director that I was not going to play parking games with the city and I wasn't going to be in class today. I know someone could sub for me but it's difficult, as we're not one of those superchurches. And roughly half our population is kids.

I can't even imagine if there were a fire and those guys had to try to get out of there fast to get to it; blocks and blocks for probably a half to 1-mile radius were clogged with cars and people walking.

The park is meant for public use and it can only handle so many inhabitants realistically. It's in the busy downtown area next to the college. Come ON, [city]--use the facilities that are available. It's an art show. Why isn't it in the arts building. (Yes, I know there are many performances there through the year. So plan better, then.) I appreciate artwork, but this is ridiculous.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Quoth Food Lady View Post
    ...I can't even imagine if there were a fire and those guys had to try to get out of there fast to get to it; blocks and blocks for probably a half to 1-mile radius were clogged with cars and people walking...
    Is each fire station equipped with a car-stacking forklift to clear the path?
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
      Is each fire station equipped with a car-stacking forklift to clear the path?
      Maybe they're equipped with great big fire trucks that just drive over the top of any cars parked in their way.
      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Write to your city's fire marshal. In most places they don't fuck around with stuff like that.
        "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

The city where I work used to have a summer festival in the city's most popular park. After thirteen years, it was cancelled because of the damage being done to the grassy areas.

Comment

Working...
          X