This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neglectful parent day?

Part of my job when training horses is to make sure they aren't going to go jumping out of their skin because someone took them for a ride on the trails. Even though 99.9% of the horses I train are headed to the show ring sometimes people and horses need a break. So I usually take a group of riders and horses for a ride around the trails at the lake. It's got all kinds of possible triggers. From light/shadow play, strange sounds, bushes rustling, children and families out for a day in the sun, small animals, water crossing, a different terrain which may necessitate getting on and off in the middle of a ride. That's why there's more then one of us, in case something goes wrong. It also helps that horses tend to be followers so having at least one experienced horse with a semi-experienced rider also helps. I've never had a problem until the other day. Most people are respectful and act like they have a few brains cells when confronted with 1500lbs of twitchy muscle.

Not these dumbasses.

First Lady: Sees the horses tied up with their head in a bucket and the owners nearby. Not tacked up. It was a hot day so we took a break to let the horses cool down and stripped the tack off so they would be comfortable (and cooler). This lady decides she really wants a picture of her child on a horse. Her two year old beastie. But instead of asking like a normal person would, she tries to just put her flailing human on the horse's back, despite it trying to sidestep away. Oh, and when I tell her she can't do that because the horse is (not hers! And) a bit skittish around children? Apparently 'I'm selfish.' Well that's what I get for trying to keep someone's kid from ending up tossed into a tree.

2nd Lady: Her damn kid runs out and tries to dodge between the horse's legs. Ok. I get that trying to control a kid is like giving a hydrophobic cat a bath. But at least try. And DONT stand there clapping and encouraging the kid. Do you even want your kid to survive to the double digits lady?

3rd Family: parents and two children. The kids keep running up behind the horse and yanking its tail, taking turns. Because kids aren't that smart. I figure (because I still have some home for humanity that the parents just haven't been paying attention. So I yell over too them to please ask their kids to stop yanking the horse's tails or else they will get hurt. The father asks [yells] if I'm threatening them. To which I reply that I'm not but their kid's actions are bothering the horses and I don't want them to get kicked of the horse's decide they've had enough. 'Then I'm told I shouldn't be riding on the trails if I can't control my horse.' And that 'it's only a bit of fun.'

4th, the man and daughter combo: Most people when they see their kid run off into potential danger try to make a grab for them in an attempt to keep them safe. In this one I can see the girl asking something to her father and I get that feeling (ya know the one where you know idiocy is inevitable). So I tell everyone to slow down to a walk. This girl squeals and runs at the first horse she sees (mine because I'm in front) and immediately screams 'horsie!' At the top of her impressive lungs. Then tries to beat hug the front legs while the horse is still moving. Meanwhile the father's just standing there smiling before turning back to his friend to continue their conversation. Of course the horse almost trips and crushes the girl because momentum is a thing... As is 1500lbs of force. Instead she remains thankfully oblivious of what almost happened. Meanwhile the father is still doing jack shit despite the commotion.

We do have spare children's helmets, waivers, protective vest, for parents who want a picture with their kids on a horse. I have no problem with it so long as they ask and I can give them a run down of the DOs and DONTs. Most people have enough brains to understand that between 1500lbs and their 120lbs... Or their kids 70lbs... They will by win that argument.
    Last edited by Dave1982; 08-05-2017, 01:51 PM. Reason: removed/edited inappropriate "spawn" references for kids. Knock it off.
    Don’t worry about what I’m up to. Worry about why you are worried about what I’m up to.

You need to control your horses, but they don't need to control their kids? Kids are far more capable of understanding than the animals (assuming you treat your kid like an actual person rather than a fashion accessory), but then you'd also think that of their parents yet the evidence really doesn't support it...
    This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
    I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

I have just enough experience with horses to ride a trail, tack, brush coat/pick out the hooves, and not get myself killed.

Even when I was a little kid I understood that one kick from a horse could kill me.

But the one where the parents let their kids yank on the horse's tail?! I would've been all over that guy. Yanking his hair, his shirt, and if he told me off I'd just parrot "It's just a bit of fun." Jeebus.
      My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
      It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

Not the only reason but I think we cause problems by the way we have anthropomorphized our pets. We treat dogs and cats as more than a pet. We have decided they think exactly like humans. Dogs and cats have thought processes but not in the same way as adult humans yet we ascribe those thoughts and emotions to them. So of course a horse would stop when he sees a young child and know exactly what a young child is thinking and wants to do. Combine that with bad parenting and it's a big problem.

Comment

It used to be those who didn't learn early in life to avoid danger ending up being some critter's lunch. Unfortunately today doing stupid things is an opportunity to sue and get rich.
          There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

3 and 4: My first response would have been more along the lines of "What the hell are you doing? Move away from there, now!" (to the kids) and/or "Do you want them to get killed?" to the "parental unit" o_O
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Something I've learned: There are times to politely say "Ma'am, could your brats please not engage in that activity which I believe is counterproductive to everyone's interests?"

And there are times when you say "GET that child AWAY from the large powerful animal RIGHT NOW because she is about to be hurt and/or hurt that horse and it will be YOUR FAULT."

Oddly enough, the first approach is more likely to draw an offended response. And if they persist, a withering look and a general suggestion that they are an idiot is 100 percent in order.

Even at the Haus of Maus, we were allowed to speak sharply with "guests" who were recklessly endangering themselves or others.
              Last edited by Dave1982; 08-05-2017, 01:51 PM. Reason: corrected inapropriate terms for kids

Comment

Wow. Even I know that spooking horses is not a good pastime. >_<
                1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
                -----
                http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

Quoth Shyla View Post
                  Not the only reason but I think we cause problems by the way we have anthropomorphized our pets.
                  I would like to respectfully disagree with this.

I blame Disney for that. Dogs and cats talk and most horses would just flip a kid pulling its tail up to its back and go off for a fantastic adventure.

We have the same problem at pet adoptions. For some reason, people are always wanting to put their toddler into a pen full of 8 week old puppies.

Comment

That's hard to read for sure. As far as I'm concerned every single one of those parents should be charged with neglect. I mean, this is like allowing a child to ride in a car without a seatbelt, and they'd have consequences for that. It's worse actually.

I do think society anthropomorphizes pets waaay too much, but that's only a small part of the problem IMO. To me, the problem is being so shielded that parents expect everything to be safe. Case in point, the parent that said the horses shouldn't be there if the OP couldn't control them. It's like people exist in a bubbled wrapped safe-zone where nothing can hurt them because that wouldn't be allowed. If something DID hurt them or their child (even if they literally threw themselves at a horse) then obviously that's against the law, they'll suit, and everyone will coo over how brave they are and how noble to campaign against this evil doer. Maybe they'll even write a book and have a made for tv movie made. "Innocent Child Attacked: One Parent's Fight Against Horses."

...Oh dear, I'm basically my dad right now.
                    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth AmbrosiaWriter View Post
                      *snip*
                      But the one where the parents let their kids yank on the horse's tail?! I would've been all over that guy. Yanking his hair, his shirt, and if he told me off I'd just parrot "It's just a bit of fun." Jeebus.
                      I saw a video of a kitten swinging on a horse's tail ... also trying to gnaw on one of the horse's hind feet. Luckily the horse was either very very patient ... or didn't even notice the tiny pest.

But another animal being foolish is one thing; letting your kid do something incredibly stupid and dangerous is something else again. Humans, after all, are supposed to have brains that function at higher levels than other animals ...

Quoth Shyla View Post
                      Not the only reason but I think we cause problems by the way we have anthropomorphized our pets. We treat dogs and cats as more than a pet. We have decided they think exactly like humans. Dogs and cats have thought processes but not in the same way as adult humans yet we ascribe those thoughts and emotions to them. So of course a horse would stop when he sees a young child and know exactly what a young child is thinking and wants to do. Combine that with bad parenting and it's a big problem.
                      I think you have hit upon a major factor in this level of stupidity! These people have watched WAY too many Disney movies (and others like them) and have somehow absorbed what they see in those movies as real-life animal behaviour.

Yes, I do tend to treat my cats as human ... I talk to them and "interpret" their responses. But seriously, I do know (at some level) that they are NOT thinking like a human and are never going to.

But when you take that level of stupidity and use it in interactions with REALLY LARGE animals ("Oh, look at those cute bear cubs! Let's go take a photo with them!") you are a disaster waiting to happen. And way too often it's the animal who pays the ultimate price.

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                      *snip* To me, the problem is being so shielded that parents expect everything to be safe. Case in point, the parent that said the horses shouldn't be there if the OP couldn't control them. It's like people exist in a bubbled wrapped safe-zone where nothing can hurt them because that wouldn't be allowed. If something DID hurt them or their child (even if they literally threw themselves at a horse) then obviously that's against the law, they'll suit, and everyone will coo over how brave they are and how noble to campaign against this evil doer. Maybe they'll even write a book and have a made for tv movie made. "Innocent Child Attacked: One Parent's Fight Against Horses."

...Oh dear, I'm basically my dad right now.

Well, then your dad had some really good points! Yep, way too many people these days feel that there should be no danger, anywhere, from anything. And when reality smacks them upside the head, they look for somebody to sue in order to distance themselves from any personal responsibility for whatever happened.
                      Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

We've had to edit a couple of posts in here for using inappropriate terms for children. Y'all know better.

Rule of thumb: If it has to do with a child's (supposed) origin -- e.g. anything including the word "spawn" -- it is verboten. If it has to do with the child's behavior -- e.g. "reckless brat" -- it's generally fine.

More info here: http://customerssuck.com/board/showthread.php?t=39928
                        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

The problem is that most people are so removed from nature and the wild that they actually have NO IDEA how dangerous animals can be. None.
                          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

It's like those shows where people harass big animals (bears, crocodiles, etc). Yes, they can be informative and entertaining, but then people get surprised when an animal does animal things. Like attack a person. Sigfried and Roy? Sorry but have zero compassion for them. They taunted a wild animal for years, and people got shocked...shocked I tell you.. when the animal got fed up with it. Sorry, will go slink into the background again.. things like this just make me wonder why people think it is a good idea to mess with animals..even 'domesticated' animals can seriously hurt a person if given enough reason too.
                            Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Quoth Mytical View Post
                              Sigfried and Roy? Sorry but have zero compassion for them.
                              People may have been shocked but if I recall correctly, Siegfried defended the tiger that attacked him. It wasn't euthanized, and lived out the rest of its days at the animal habitat, dying of an illness much later.
                              My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
                              It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

Working...
                              X