Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh my favourite is when a client brings their kids to the stables to buy a horse and insists they want a horse strictly for breeding. Then asks if their kids can ride it around and 'do a bit of dressage' or 'some jumps'. Most breeding stallions/mares are retired *insert discipline of choice* but the ones here that are born and bred strictly for breeding only have enough in saddle training to get rid of some of that pent up energy. While I don't agree with this it isn't for me to decide. They aren't trained for show work because it's assumed if their going to spend the entire time making babies they aren't going to be showing. Most places have rules against pregger mates showing because of potential harm to the mare and fetus. Besides, why would you train something for years when you know the odds of it even doing a barn show are almost non existent? It also allows us to keep the prices down to an affordable (for rich ppl anyway) level. Unfortunately, some people think this means try can get a cheaper horse rather then spend the money on something that might actually be suited to them.

But I agree, we spend way to much time believing that our animals understand us and have human emotions when they don't. They have emotions. But not in the way humans process them.

I have a peregrine falcon that is mostly wild but imprinted on me when I was nursing it to health and I figured since it wasn't going away I might as well take care of it. I get told off all the time because 'what do you mean your falcon doesn't have a name?', 'You should give him a name or he'll be upset'. It's a WILD animal that imprinted on a human. It is not a pet. It doesn't care anything about me beyond a source of food and shelter. I have lots of plants that attract animals like rabbits and since the willow was uprooted there's been a rat problem as they took up residency in the tunnels left by the root system. There's your food source. I don't go buying rabbit at the store to lure him in. He sticks around because there's an easy abundance of food and because there's a predator safe shelter. Yes I have a glove, and yes he does know how to come down to it. I taught him for my safety while he was injured so I wouldn't be ripped into by beak or talon. No he's not sociable.

He puts up with me cooing over him because he's aware if I like him I won't chase him off. Or rather he doesn't want to risk being chased off. Then he'd have to find a new food source and shelter assuming he even could. Why bet your survival on that? His previous injury while mostly healed is permanent. He has gotton as good as he's going to. But sometimes he'll come back all gimpy because crows are evil and strangely enough don't like predatory birds hanging around their chicks. I've had people come up when I'm working in the garden and he's decided to come down (so I take a break and let him sit on the glove while I munch food.) and ask if they can pet him and then get pissed when I explain he's not a pet and that he will likely try to eat your fingers if you try. The only reason as harsh as it sounds, that I didn't drive him away completely is because peregrines are an endangered species. He still survives by himself.

I am currently hand raising fox pups because their mother was hit on the highway and I found them there when I was driving home from work. I wasn't even aware there were foxes on the island and WildArc refuses to take them because their so young. They told me if they survived another month that they would take them off my hands as they wouldn't be reliant on being bottle fed anymore. I know enough to keep mammals from imprinting on humans for survival (birds function different and I don't understand their brains.) I've had humans walking their dog at the ass crack of dawn wonder why I won't let them come up and pet them. Never mind that as a wild animal I don't want them to think humans or dogs are their friends. Never mind that their dog is straining the leash to get to them (either to make friends or chase them I don't really care). Then they get mad at me for telling them they can't unless they ditch the dog and get a full scrub down (with a scentless soap. You'd be surprised how many ppl don't have one) to eliminate any human or human associated scents (like food, or pets, or pet food), no they can't bring their kids, and yes they can observe and if the animal comes up to them (they're foxes and as it turns out curiosity is considered considered a fox trait for a reason.) they can give it a pet before pushing it away gently. They don't like to hear this. I've been told they'd call the authorities (who would redirect them to WildArc) if I don't let them grope the animals. To which I tell them to save time and call WildArc directly. I have permission and a licence for rehabilitation of mammal speices. I receive permission on a case by case basis of anything else I come across. So their attempts at blackmail only amuse/annoy me.

All through middle school and part way through highschool the zoo on the mainland didn't have the facilities to deal with newborns rejected by their parents so they'd send them to qualified volunteers (it took me 6 months to get my qualifications but I also worked for WildArc and SPCA so I got fast tracked.) and even then I'm not qualified to do medical treatment. (There's a vet nearby certified for exotics of the zoo variety and their the only vet I'm allowed to use.) I must keep meticulous records, down to the minute, regardless of how disgusting small animals can be sometimes. I have what I am told is a 'predator fixation' and I mostly worked with great cats during this time. I used to take them for walks because unlike an animal destined for rerelease, zoos prefer animals that won't eat them if the keepers get too close so I am allowed to socialize them. But only under strict rules. I would get requests all the time and I totally understand why. Hell how many can say they cuddled a baby leopard? But for some reason adults couldn't understand why I had rules about how they could touch them. After all, they have cats and their kids can dance around the house with them no problem. So why can't they let the pretty kitty jump up on them? Ummm maybe because the kitty is going to grow up and most people aren't fond of being squished by a 200lb cat because that's how it learned as a kitten that humans want it to do that if they want to play. Why can't I let it scratch me/gum my fingers, it's harmless? Maybe now but not so much when it grows up. I totally understand the appeal. Why do you think I got into wild animal rescue work when I could have stuck with the SPCA like a normal person instead? Hell the amount of times I told someone they couldn't allow the animal to do something and got told 'it's just playing' or 'I think it likes me!' Yes it is playing, it's play hunting. That's how they learn things like stalking prey and ambush tactics. It doesn't have affection for you honey, it's just trying to figure out what you are and if it can eat you (Not at that size it can't). Pointing this out seems to scandalize people for some reason. What do you mean I don't hold true cat like a baby when I feed it? Umm because it's not a pet and its improper. The idea is to mimic a real life's mom as much as possible. I don't know about you but I've never seen a tiger or a jaguar cradling their kittens when their being fed.

Yes, in the lion king Simba can rationalize and makes friends with a warthog... Reality is Simba would eat the hog if desperate enough. (Zebra or antalope are easier prey, and less potentially dangerous) No he doesn't want to make friends with your dog. He wants to eat your little ankle biter. God if I had a dollar for every time someone asked me if they could name the lion Simba or Nala... Most of them do eventually get names because zoos have guests and it plays into the guests delusions which makes them more prone to donating money to help little Simbas that are being bred for release and to up population.

Sadly I no longer am able to do this as the zoo finally got the space and facilities to deal with that sorta thing. And there's no zoos in a similar situation anywhere nearby. Not to mention I've let my qualifications and licenses for it expire because at $400 a year, if I'm not doing it there's no point. Besides I can do the refresher and be back in business if I ever had to. It would take about 8 months and about $800 but I could do it.
    Last edited by Dave1982; 08-12-2017, 03:00 AM. Reason: What part of "knock it off with the 'spawn' thing" did you fail to comprehend???
    Don’t worry about what I’m up to. Worry about why you are worried about what I’m up to.

Comment

You are a truly awesome person! I volunteer at a local shelter (I'm cat people) and could never do what you do. Massive kudos for doing all of that.
      “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
      One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
      The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth wordgirl View Post
        ...there are times when you say "GET that child AWAY from the large powerful animal RIGHT NOW because she is about to be hurt and/or hurt that horse and it will be YOUR FAULT."...Even at the Haus of Maus, we were allowed to speak sharply with "guests" who were recklessly endangering themselves or others.
        Good. Some people really need a severe reality check, especially when they're doing something that is blatantly stupid and dangerous.

Yes, I know that horses are beautiful and magnificent, and it's understandable that children want to pet them. There's a right way and a wrong way to go about it.

WRONG WAY: Allow child to run at horse, shrilly screeching and fling him/herself at it or yank its tail.

RIGHT WAY: Take child by hand, make sure he/she is calm and quiet, then approach the owner and politely ask if child may pet the horse. Make sure child is calm and quiet the entire time, and if owner says "no", respect that.
        If owner says "yes" and gives very specific instructions, follow them. Keep contact with horse brief and thank owner afterwards.
        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
        My LiveJournal
        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth Mytical View Post
          It's like those shows where people harass big animals (bears, crocodiles, etc). Yes, they can be informative and entertaining, but then people get surprised when an animal does animal things. Like attack a person.
          My 9-year-old beagle is the friendliest creature on God's green earth. Thinks everyone and everything is her best friend ever. Has never once tried to bite, even when she injured her back somehow and was screaming in pain.

I still ask the vet to muzzle her when she gets her nails clipped or needs any kind of xrays or other unusual vet thing aside from normal exams and shots. Because I know even though she's never tried to bite before, that doesn't mean she won't.

Now, if I take such precautions with a 30lb dog, I can only imagine how careful one has to be with a 1500lb horse. Then again, I have some common sense. >.>
          I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Quoth jedimaster91 View Post
            Then again, I have some common sense. >.>
            So rare now days, should be classified a super power.
            Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

People also have this extremely stupid idea that animals that are "properly trained" will ALWAYS understand everything you say, and will ALWAYS do whatever you tell them to do (or not to do). So if your horse hurts some idiot who was provoking it, it must be the animal's fault and the owner/trainer's fault. Because as we well know, an SC is NEVER at fault for anything.
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Bit of an update but not really. This is a really small city so when family of four decided they want more horse interaction they showed up at the barn I work at.... During the start of one of our week long summer camps... One of the first things I do when stuck with kids who have more enthusiasm then sense is demonstrate exactly how dangerous it can be when they don't listen to instructions about how to handle the horses. We have a really twitchy two year old fully that kicks out at anything nearby when she gets spooked by something (and everything spooks her. From scary blankets laying on a fence to the grass rustling when the wind blows.) All I have to do is catch her and lead her to her stall so that she's ready to go for her trainer. Without fail she will hit something with those hooves of hers (though she's getting better as she realizes that nothing is out to get her and if she keeps kicking out she'll spend the time going back and forth until she can walk to the barn politely) and if it's wood, it will break almost every time. But hey, I can use that to demonstrate that yes a horse can break a fence post in half with one kick. And if they can do that to a post while being careless what do you think will happen to you if they strike with intent? Got to see mr. It's all harmless fun and his wife go pale at the sight of a pole 6inches across of oak snap like a twig. Yeah, now you understand why I didn't want your kids playing dodge the hooves. She also bent the metal bar that the gate is attached to. I do that not to scare the kids but because it's something they can see and then touch and realize that when my instructor says don't get behind this particular horse she MEANS it. I also highlight that the horse's used at camp are pretty tolerant but any horse will kick with the right provocation and they should never assume that because they've never done so before that they never will. As well as shifting to the do's and Don'ts, going over (again) proper handling. That if you're not comfortable doing something or unsure ask for help, don't try to do it anyway.

Mind one look at the sleepy eyed ponies and horses left specifically for summer camp and most of them realize that there really isn't much to worry about provided you don't try to win the Darwin Award. They're still high quality horses, just past their prime and usually semi retired or kept for breeding. Maybe some people think I'm extreme about showing what a horse is capable of doing to a defenceless post and letting them figure out the obvious but I've also seen a horse kick someone so hard they flew back 10ft, and hit a car with such force that it jammed the door closed and broke the hinges. (Mind that was a draft) I've seen horses kick someone so hard they've crashed through the back of a wooden stall or cross-tie, and I've seen horse's that kick like a 6 year old who can barely coordinate themselves to lift one leg off the ground and who don't even leave a bruise because they can't be bothered to strike using any semblance of effort. I've also seen horses who would just lift up a foot a push the human away rather then actually hit them.

Maybe it's extreme but I'd rather the kids be wary and respectful then think 1500lbs is a very big toy or something to be played with. (Also the minimum age is 13 so it's not like I'm teaching little little kids either.)
                Don’t worry about what I’m up to. Worry about why you are worried about what I’m up to.

Comment

I barely moved out of the way in time for a larger Morgan to kick a tall stump and take out a chunk over an inch deep and about 2 feet long. I was grateful for the warning and backed a good 10 feet away.

Comment

Glad they got a lesson on why horses can be dangerous.
                    "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Working...
                    X