Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

YES, you should tip! I need to make a living!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://notalwaysright.com/tip-getting-rid-laws/91518/

This made me think of all of you poor wait staff.

Comment

Well, tipping in restaurants and the like represents their employer's "out" for paying less than minimum wage. I'm told that in Europe, that sort of thing is considered a peculiarly American form of corruption, and in a lot of places trying to tip will actively offend people.

That said, I always tip in table-service restaurants, but not usually in counter-service places. Deliveries always get tips, extra for inclement weather or other adverse conditions. I also remember that the cook screwing up the food is not reason to stiff the server.

Now, Uber is a tougher situation. They explicitly made their name and reputation as a "fire and forget" service, where the whole point is that you call them, get taken to your destination, and get automatically billed, without needing to handle money or think about it afterwards. But now, after a few years of that, they've suddenly introduced some sort of tip option -- which by its nature, has to involve going back and attending to that after you've arrived wherever.

If they'd been doing that from the beginning, that wouldn't have been a problem, but changing their service model at this late date? I suspect that's going to be a non-starter... unfortunate, because the company will still use it as a cover for continuing to underpay (and otherwise fail to support) their drivers.

Comment

<mod hat>

We're starting to a veer towards Fratching territory. Let's keep things about the sucky customer please and not turn this into a wider discussion on tipping. Those discussions rarely end well around here.

Thanks!

</mod hat>
        "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Working...
        X