This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's See How Fast This Gets Turned Around On Me

So, I had a short (6 hrs, as compared to 9) shift today. Toward the end of it, a customer came in and said he "apparently" drove off without paying for gas last night. He said there were messages on his answering machine from us. I had not a clue about it, so I asked him what the amount was. He said $30.01. Since he was a regular, and he knew the amount, I went ahead and billed his credit card via the hypercorm and told him management would call him if need be. Fast forward just a bit (half an hour maybe a bit more) to co-worker J coming in for his shift. I asked J if he'd had a drive off last night and he stammered out, "Well yeah..I mean it wasn't a drive off... I mean...I paid the $30. Did he come in and pay?"

I told J that, yes, he did come in and yes, I charged his credit card, because, again, I've had it pounded into my head to make sure gas is paid for. J all but freaked out, and ended up calling our manager. M told me to give J $30 from my till and write a note in my shift, signed by both J and myself, notating what had happened. I did. Let's see how quickly this gets turned around on me. I have a feeling M is going to lecture me about charging the guy, but wtf was I supposed to do? No one told me a damn thing about a drive-off (or lack thereof?) so I did what I thought I was supposed to. I guess I'll have to just wait and see now.
    "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

It was a drive off. Your co-worker is NOT responsible for paying the amount owed, the customer IS! J should've done the same thing you did and NOT pay for it out of his own pocket, does he realize what could happen if word got out that employees were paying for drive offs.
    ......../\
    ....../__\
    ..../\...../\
    ../__\../__\

Comment

I'm curious how your coworker knew who to contact regarding the gas; did he call the police for contact information on the plate?

I would think a note would be put-up regarding drive-offs and vehicle descriptions so that the next shift would know. Also, don't you call the police on drive-offs? Is coworker new?
      "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

J knows pretty much everyone in town. He's the town gossip. Plus, the guy was a regular customer. He claimed the reason he paid it was "he didn't want the guy to be a drive-off" or something. Luckily, nothing has been said to me about it...Yet.
        "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

Well I hope your coworker learned a lesson about NOT taking a fall for a customer. And if he didn't, I'm sure there'll be other opportunities to throw his money away again.

It does bother me that you're so cynical about your workplace that you expect them to screw you over when you righted an obvious wrong. Note: I'm not blaming you for being cynical, I just hate that your workplace is so crappy it makes you feel that way.
          A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
            It does bother me that you're so cynical about your workplace that you expect them to screw you over when you righted an obvious wrong. Note: I'm not blaming you for being cynical, I just hate that your workplace is so crappy it makes you feel that way.
            This...and my workplace isn't even that crappy bu sometimes I feel the same way. Try to do a good deed and get shit for it.
            "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Working...
            X