This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Match it"

I can't stand that Wal-Mart commercial about price matching. They make it seem like all the customers have to do is say "Match it" in a sweet tone of voice & it'll be taken care of right away.
    I'll betcha dollars to donuts that THIS weekend there will be a TON of SC"s running into wally world DEMANDING that they price match whatever & saying something about that commercial. It's not gonna be pretty.

I already had a lovely time two weeks ago waiting behind a woman with a full cart of groceries, in a packed WMart, whipping out a local grocery store ad to match way too many prices. It took forever, and it was freaking hot in there. If the other store has such great prices, go to the other store, woman! Good grief.
    "You are the dumbest smart person I have ever met in my life!" Will Smith, 'I, Robot'.

"You LOSE! Good day, sir!" Gene Wilder, 'Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory'.

Comment

"Match it" is good, in theory. With proper controls, it means that a customer can spend less time and money doing their grocery shopping, without inconveniencing other customers. However, the way Wal-mart does it, it means a headache for everyone involved, except the customer matching stuff. And it never fails that half of their items will come from another store for matching. *headdesk*
      My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

I've been asked at a craft show if I price match.

It broke my brain the first time I heard it. The second time I asked which store. Of course it was Walmart.

"Okay so you want to pay the same price for a custom designed item made by a local artist as you would for a mass produced item made by a small child in india/china?"

Of course.
        https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

Quoth Kheldarson View Post
          However, the way Wal-mart does it, it means a headache for everyone involved, except the customer matching stuff.
          No, no, it's a headache for the price-matching customer too, at least if you don't resort to being an SC about everything. We've tried price-matching on our groceries before. No two managers can agree on what exactly gets to be matched. One says it's only the stuff that requires a store rewards card to get the deal, another says it's only on the stuff that doesn't require the rewards card, yet another says that Walmart's store brand can't be matched for Kroger's store brand (despite my own manager when I was cashiering saying that was valid because Walmart does not and will not ever carry Kroger's store brand, it being a store brand and all).... Hubby and I finally gave up because we kept getting the runaround whenever we went to the store, and could never get a straight answer on anything.
          "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
          - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

My neighbor, who just quit his job at WalMart about a month ago, told me that they don't price match "gimmick" prices, like when the local grocery stores get desperate to compete with Wal-Mart and have those sales with 18 cent dozen eggs, 55 cent loaves of bread, $1.98 12 packs of soda pop, etc.

And he said that people go absolutely batshit when they are told that those kinds of sale prices are not matched at Wal-Mart.
            You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
              My neighbor, who just quit his job at WalMart about a month ago, told me that they don't price match "gimmick" prices, like when the local grocery stores get desperate to compete with Wal-Mart and have those sales with 18 cent dozen eggs, 55 cent loaves of bread, $1.98 12 packs of soda pop, etc.

And he said that people go absolutely batshit when they are told that those kinds of sale prices are not matched at Wal-Mart.
              Then why even have the policy? "Gimmick" can mean anything corporate wants it to mean.

Price matching is stupid anyway.
              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I totally agree with you.

I don't even bother comparing, because Wal-Mart IS always cheaper. Sometimes in the mail I see that the local grocery stores are having those gimmick sales, but their other prices are so much more, it's not even worth it.
                You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I really think it depends on what you get since some of Wal-mart's prices aren't cheaper, but then we have 4 grocery stores within a half mile of each other so it's competitively shopped in the area.

I know in 2009 the official policy was that they only matched competitors, which are decided by corporate, and that they had to keep a copy of the competitors' ads at the service desk. We didn't usually follow that policy at my Wally-world.

My favorite was one lady from a store about 10 miles away. She brought in an ad from a local chain started in my hometown that had about 2 stores in this city 2 hours away from my local town. The store itself was about 30 minutes away from this store. Well, it's Black Friday and the Zone Manager said no to the ad because it wasn't a local competitor. Well, the lady throws a bitch fit and let's it slip that she works at that store 10 miles away and they accept the small chain's ads. She was lucky the Zone Manager had walked away and then decided to change her mind since I doubt she would've if she heard the lady complaining about what the 10 mile away store does.

Comment

Ugh...price matching ...and that damn commercial! I can see tons of SCs and EWs coming in demanding price matching at insanely lower prices than normal or below purchasing cost.
                    I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                    Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                    Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Quoth Kanalah View Post
                      "Okay so you want to pay the same price for a custom designed item made by a local artist as you would for a mass produced item made by a small child in india/china?"
                      This is why I stopped listing my jewelry on ebay. I make chokers with as much "real" material as I can: bone, horn, glass, shell, metal, etc. It's clear by the photographs that these are NOT plastic (for one, it looks a hell of a lot nicer), and I outlined my materials.

A basic three-row choker without fancy beads or designs is $25. At least twice a week I'd get a buyer screaming "you're a ripoff! [Chinese seller] has the exact same thing for $4.98!"...then they'd have the balls to ask later "will u sell this 2 me for $5?"
                      "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                      "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Gah I hated price matching when I worked for [Canadian store that starts with a Z]. Since I was in a small town that was 6 hours away from anything that could be considered a "city" they only price matched for stores that were in town. So of course we'd get people bringing in fliers from stores that were in the city 6 hours away, and of course we had to tell them that we wouldn't price match for them. Then hear them bitch, but hey, it's not like they could have gone to the other store anyway.

We did do a lot of price matching for Wal-mart though, at least until the store closed because of Wal-mart.
                        “Bad taste creates many more millionaires than good taste.”

-Charles Bukowski

Comment

Wait, they don't price match gimmicks.... which is basically all sale items, I really really hate the corporate whores who come up with a simple policy called "match it" and then I'm sure it has a 356 page list of amendments and stipulations like only on the 4th of july if a herd of elphants is running through the store, and the girls gone wild bus is in the parking lot and just bought all the KY
                          I'm sorry reading is not a new concept it has been widely taught in our nation for at least the past 100 years. Please, learn to do it CORRECTLY before you become contagious.

Comment

Yeah, most gimmick/one-off sales have a few inches of fine print that nobody (well, except me) ever reads. A small computer store chain used to pricematch WM, BB, etc but no more. I guess people were coming in on Black Friday expecting them to match an ad because "it's a [manufacturer] and it looks the same, gimme!". The only matching they do now is for processors (every week they adjust their pricing to match Newegg)

By that logic I should get an XBox Elite for the same price as an Arcade version I saw on CL...it looks the same and I have the ad, right? -_-
                            "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                            "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Working...
                            X