This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adventures in Retail - Snippets from the Memorial Day Sale

Ah, the joys of SCs during a holiday long weekend. And all for minimum wage no less.
    (Sorry, way too tired for witty/snippy add-in comments today.)

I'm from out of town, the land of 24/7 Walmarts

SC: I need a replacement cap for my (name brand) gas can. Got any?
    "Yes. Right over here. This replaces both the main and vent caps plus gaskets for all types of that brand."
    SC: $3.79?! You've got to be kidding. I won't pay that.

*After showing SC to the item(s) they desire, too many times to count.*
    SC: Well, you can sure tell we are north of XX. Are you serious with those prices?

*SC barges in about 1 minute to close.*
    SC: You can't be closing already, it is only 7pm!

SC: I'm interested in this grill. Is that the prices marked on the orange card?
    "Yes. One is boxed cost and the other with assembly figured in."
    SC: Do you have any more boxed?
    "Let me check the back and computer." *Physically check after checking inventory* "I'm sorry, that seems to be the last one."
    SC: Since it is, can I get it for the boxed cost?
    "Sorry, no."
    SC: Oh, OK then. Thanks anyways.

Sale items

SC: Is there an assembly fee on that?
    "Yes, it had to be assembled. All of the boxed items are gone."
    SC: Then it isn't really on sale is it? Can't you give it to me for the sale price?
    "Er..that price is the half off sale price plus the assembly fee..."

SC: Are you out of X?
    "Yes."
    SC: Can I get a raincheck?
    "No. This is a national holiday sale, and we were only able to order so many of that specialty item out of our regional warehouse to begin with based on our sales bracket."
    SC: Can you put me on a list if they get any more in the warehouse?
    "...Sure."

Cell Phones

~I signed the contract and pay for insurance but I'm still angry dammit!~
    SC: My phone isn't charging. Do you think it is the battery, or the phone itself?
    "I'll try with this new charger and see if that helps."
    *Nothing happens.* "Hrm, looks like your charging port connectors are almost gone." (Note - the tiny copper conductor pads are almost completely gone.)
    SC: Can I get a phone today?
    "OK, this wouldn't qualify for exchange by mail since it is not a warranty issue." *Check MDN number* "You have nearly a year to go on a 2 year contract. However I see you do have insurance - you can give them a call and should be able to get a new phone shortly by mail or at a retail store. I'm not sure if the insurance provider is available this weekend though. Otherwise you would need to pay full retail for a new phone since you are still under contract but it would be active today."
    SC: I need a phone today, not in the near future, but I will not pay that for a replacement. Is there a another service provider in town?
    ...."Yes. I'm not sure they are still open today."
    SC: Call them and check.
    *Call* "No, they seem to be closed."
    SC: Can I get my provider number then? I want to make a complaint.
    "OK. Here you go."

~This isn't my provider?~

SC: Can I pay my XX bill here?
    "No, we are a (competing) agent store. We can't even take payments for our provider here, only at the retail stores."
    SC: Is there a XX provider in this area?
    "Not that I know of. They don't have towers in this third of the state."

~Lazy AND Sleazy~

SC: I got this Tracfone next door, but they said you could help me with a problem I've been having. My Caller ID doesn't seem to be working.
    *Run through Tracfone online troubleshooting.* "It doesn't seem to be a problem with your phone but with the system locally. This is a really basic troubleshoot though, you'd need to call Tracfone to get more in depth."
    SC: OK, if I have to. I don't like using up my minutes talking to people when I don't know who they are or if I want to talk to them.
    SC: I need some minutes also, but I hate putting them on myself. I'd like X units.
    *Eat crow, say nothing, and put them on.*

Moral of the weekend..

*drumroll*

While carrying out a boxed round grill make sure to use a handcart instead of balancing it on your shoulder whilst your customer searches for their vehicle.
    Luckily our parking lot is barely two or three acres.
    "There are times in your life when you'll have to eat crow. Actually, you don't have to eat it-just hold it in your mouth long enough until nobody's watching, and then spit it out."

SC: I'm interested in this grill. Is that the prices marked on the orange card?
    "Yes. One is boxed cost and the other with assembly figured in."
    SC: Do you have any more boxed?
    "Let me check the back and computer." *Physically check after checking inventory* "I'm sorry, that seems to be the last one."
    SC: Since it is, can I get it for the boxed cost?
    "Sorry, no."
    SC: Oh, OK then. Thanks anyways.
    This is not a totally unreasonable thing to ask...I mean, it doesn't hurt to try, right? At least they didn't argue when you told them no...
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

*chuckle* I didn't really mind that one too much, it got me off the floor for a few minutes. Kind of a nice breather actually.

The strange part was after not buying the assembled display she came back to lawn & garden shortly after and bought a different grill, still boxed, that cost more than the other model even with the assembly fee.
      "There are times in your life when you'll have to eat crow. Actually, you don't have to eat it-just hold it in your mouth long enough until nobody's watching, and then spit it out."

Comment

Quoth Strikesfirmly View Post
        *chuckle* I didn't really mind that one too much, it got me off the floor for a few minutes. Kind of a nice breather actually.

The strange part was after not buying the assembled display she came back to lawn & garden shortly after and bought a different grill, still boxed, that cost more than the other model even with the assembly fee.
        Damn, I'd rather pay a little extra and save myself the aggravation! But apparently that's just me

Comment

Perhaps he wanted to assemble it? *shrugs*
          Those who are loudest about their qualifications, tend to have the least merit to their claims.

Comment

Quoth Arcade Man D View Post
            Perhaps he wanted to assemble it? *shrugs*
            I suppose, maybe some people find that sort of thing fun? Not me...I am not particularly mechanically inclined...things that involve fire and/or gas that can blow up on me...I think I'll let the people who know what they're doing do it.

Comment

Quoth Strikesfirmly View Post
              If I had a low IQ, I'd love for the customer to explain the logistics of THAT to me.
              Unseen but seeing
              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
              3rd shift needs love, too
              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Working...
              X