This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking up receipts

I work customer service, and part of that involves looking up the occasional receipt for someone. Looking up the receipt isn't valid for return, but we will print them if someone needs it for a record for their work or their own files or something.

Since it is a holiday weekend, we have extra cashiers up at the service desk helping us out. They know how to do returns but not too much else, so they tend to ask a lot of questions, which is cool. At least they ask before doing something stupid.

Anyway, the phone rings and a cashier picks it up. She turns to me and asks if we can look up a receipt, and I say, "Sure, as long as we know what day it is from and some of what is on it and a rough total, it should be no problem." Apparently, customer sees a charge on her bank statement from our store and doesn't know what it was for. I am more than happy to look it up.

The cashier gets the date, total, and last four digits of the card number she paid with, which is normally more than enough to find the receipt she needs. I am searching, and finding nothing, and the lady is still on the phone, asking if we could look up a few more receipts.

Five minutes later, the cashier gets off the phone and hands me two more pieces of paper. I still haven't found the first receipt (there were 3 I think listed on that first paper.) The first new paper has TWELVE more dates and totals, going back into last year, and the second paper had the lady's address.

This lady expected us to print out 15 receipts for her, each of which for some reason prints sideways on a big piece of computer paper, and mail them all to her. I told the cashier that we couldn't mail her all of those receipts, she'd have to come get them. That is, until I looked at the address. The lady had called us from Arkansas. We are over 1000 miles away from there.

I am guessing this lady has a husband or boyfriend who works out here and she doesn't know where all the money is going. Or maybe her identity was stolen. Either that, or she is terribly confused, because I couldn't find a single receipt that she asked for. I figure either she called the wrong store, or gave me the dates the money was taken out of the account, which may or not be the same day as the money was actually spent.

She should have called when the first weird thing showed up on her checking account, not after 6 months and almost 20 times of this happening! It takes 10 minutes to bring up each day in the computer, and we have to look it up by day so you can imagine how long it would take to find all of those if the computer is being slow, plus it is a holiday weekend and we had a steady stream of other customers to help.

The lady said she'd call back but she never did. With my luck, she'll call when I'm there and I'll have to explain it to her and then get screamed at over the phone.

Quoth booger View Post
    I figure either she called the wrong store, or gave me the dates the money was taken out of the account, which may or not be the same day as the money was actually spent. (
    It all depends on the bank. I have two different bank accounts, one is my personal account, the other is joint account with my wife. My personal account will show the day a purchase was made, and the day the money was actually taken from my account. The joint account only shows the day the money is taken from our account. So....

Personal account looks similar to this....
    5/22 $35 Company XYZ
    Comments: Purchase made 5/19

Joint account looks similar to this....
    5/22 $35 Company XYZ

Comment

Working...
    X