This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A nice little nugget from the weekend

Some backstory for those not in the know: I work at a car dealership in the Parts Departement. Most people know that car dealerships tend to be very pricey, and tend to not have many parts for older vehicles. Also, something else to not forget about: Most of us don't like working on Saturdays, and we work from 8-3.

So we've beem short-staffed for most of the month, as one of my co-worker's had a brother pass away. Because of this, he's been in Germany for a couple of weeks. Last Saturday was his Saturday to work, but to cover the shortage, the manager filled in. It being a sunny day out and quiet at the shop, the manager flaked off an hour early, and I covered for him.

As mentioned, we close at three. At 2:55, a greasy, sweaty, topless and (naturally) out-of-shape older guy walks in.

SC: Do you have a fuel pump for a 1989 Lazer?
    *I look it up. Surprisingly, we do*
    SC: Can you install it today?
    *I didn't even have to tell him to go to Service.*
    Me: No.
    SC: Oh. How much it it?
    Me: $300.
    SC: $300?!? Fuck that!
    Me: Well, there's a PartSource just down the street; you can try them.
    *Spends the next 10 minutes phones PartSource. When they are too pricey, he phones junkyards, then phones friends to lend other friends bus money to get to our dealership to help him out. All the while, I can't close, because frankly, I was afraid to count the money with him around, out of fear that he might make a wild grab at it.*

On Monday, I had to ask the boss about our "No shirt, no shoes" policy. We don't have one.
    I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Quoth Spiffy McMoron View Post
    Me: $300.
    SC: $300?!? Fuck that!
    I can see where he's coming from--I just found out that my Mazda's oxygen sensors are crap...and nearly had a heart attack when I found out what they cost. They're nearly $400 apiece For that price, I should get some um, "other services!" Needless to say, I did tell Mazda that they were on crack, and found an online parts store who had them for less than a quarter of what Mazda wanted. I'm getting rid of it, and don't plan on sinking much cash into it.
    Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Pumps and fiddly electronic parts can be pricey, even from places like local parts stores, and even for domestic cars.

$300 for a fuel pump wouldn't faze me, really. It cost me $350 for parts to replace the oil pump on my first car, which was an '80s Ford.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
      X