Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not So Much Sucky as Funny (Life in the UK)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not So Much Sucky as Funny (Life in the UK)

Ok, I am sure that any bookstore employee in the Uk knows what I am talking about when I say "Life in the Uk"...for those of you who don't, it is a book that you must read if you want to take a test to become a citizen of the United Kingdom.

There are 3 different books (all official). One is the main book, which I guess tells you all about how you come to take the test. The other two are the Study Guide and Test Questions, which are pretty much the same thing aside from the Study Guide has a bit of info and questions, where the Test Questions has only questions and answers. This is all I know about these books. I did not have to take the test, nor will I have to. I got my VISA by marriage, then kept it after the divorce. Anyway..........the "Life in the Uk" book is worth 100 threads....believe me. Ugh!

And as fast as we get the books in, we are out of stock, and are always bombarded with questions about what they have to read, which parts are important, what questions will be on the test..........you get the idea.....all crap that we do not know anything about because we only work in a bookshop and not for the government. So, we have all pretty much become accustomed to saying "I really can't answer any questions about the test or the book".

Well, today I had this guy come in and tell me in broken English that he was going to take his test for "Life in the Uk". I told him that we had the books. He said that he didn't want a book, but wanted to take the test. I said that he really should read the book before taking a test, and I showed him where they were. So, he kept saying that he wanted "to take tEst, thing after test to get citizenship". After him saying this over and over and me telling him that I didn't relly know much about the books or the test he says "I want to take test, after get citizenship....here" I realized that he actually wanted to TAKE HIS CITIZENSHIP TEST at WHS!!!!! He got all confused when I told him that he couldn't do that. He told me that someone upstairs told him that he could take his test in the Books Dept. of WHS! Hahahahahaha...when I explained to him that it wa a government test and that he'd not be able to do that in a bookshop, he wanted me to tell him where he had to take it.........of course, I had to tell him I did not know.

I felt bad for him, as he was very nice and confused......but really, he wasn't stupid, did he really think he could take the test at a bookshop? And I really want to know what member of staff told him he could!
    "If it offends one person, it effects everyone".....me, on the PC world in which we dwell.

The member of staff probably thought the same as you, that he was asking for the books...they probably heard Life in the UK, Test, and said "downstairs"

it is kinda funny, though.
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Working...
    X