This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth BearLeeBadenaugh View Post
    Wolfie, did you see the news that WI updated their rules of the road for roundabouts? Anything over 40' gets automatic right of way in a roundabout. Should solve some issues while causing others.
    Can they even do that? Somebody from out of state is going to run into the side of a semi that's entering...

Comment

Quoth drunkenwildmage View Post
      Couples years ago, they had put a roundabout in the small town my brother's a cop in. Confused the heck out of everyone. They had to patrol it on a regular bases to make sure everyone was using it right, and educate the ones that were not. IIRC they weren't giving out many tickets, just talking to people to make sure they knew how to use it. One time he caught a 85 year old gentleman driving around it going the opposite direction. After trying to explain it to him, my brother ended up suggestion that the gentleman should just try to avoid it.
      Most of the roundabouts here in Desert Hell have big arrow signs (the kind they put up when the road does a sharp turn) pointing the direction you're supposed to go.

Quoth TheSHAD0W View Post
      Can they even do that? Somebody from out of state is going to run into the side of a semi that's entering...
      The ones that make the rules can make them whatever they want.

You're right, of course, but as they say, ignorance of the law (even if the law goes against common sense) is no excuse.

If I was the one implementing that law, I would put up signs at every roundabout explaining that the big guys have right of way.
      Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
      OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
      she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
      Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

For one roundabout in my city, there's an urban legend that claims that the person who designed it was killed using it. That says something that such a legend exists, as people have a love-hate view of that roundabout.

Comment

I HATE those things, and I don't even drive. I cannot see how they could possibly be "safer" when half the morons using them don't understand how they work, and the other half apparently believe that everyone else should just get the hell out of their way.
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Yea, the Powers That Be are wanting to put a roundabout in our town, in an intersection on a high traffic road that's maybe half a mile from a major intersection. What that intersection actually NEEDS is a traffic light, but it's deemed to be 'too close' to the major intersection (and presumably no one has ever heard of programmable and/or synchronized traffic lights). The heavy traffic on the road includes a LOT of large trucks, and the local populace has NO IDEA how roundabouts work because there aren't any others anywhere near the area. The main reasoning for pushing for it? The federal government will pay for a roundabout, but for a traffic light the city/county has pay for it. Yea, this will go well...
            You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Mythbusters did an episode where they covered 4-way stops vs roundabouts. According to what they came up with, roundabouts offer significantly better throughput than 4-ways.

ETA: Couldn't find a link to a video in 5 seconds of looking, but here they are discussing it in an "aftershow" (at time 2:40, if the link didn't work right).
              Last edited by Deserted; 07-29-2016, 06:57 AM. Reason: linky
              Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
              OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
              she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
              Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

We have a few up here and when people know what they're doing they work splendidly. Of course, that is the catch; people have to know what they're doing. They're so rare in North America that most current driver license tests don't even deal with roundabouts/traffic circles. So most people who are driving don't know what to do beyond a theoretical from their learner's test.
                I AM the evil bastard!
                A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                  Didn't see that - good for WI. However, no matter how much you polish a turd, you still can't pick it up by the clean end.
                  But you can roll it in glitter!

Comment

The Magic Roundabout looks terrifying to me and I used to deal with this one frequently. It has trams running trough the middle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haymarket_roundabout
                    https://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=...0137/144.95691

Before building the roundabouts, they should have been flooding the area with info telling people what to do when they drive through one. Most definitely it should have been ads on TV, in print and on the radio. Hell, even a letterbox drop would have helped with lots of pretty pictures.
                    A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Comment

Working...
                    X