This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quite possibly too stupid to live...

The store that I work in has a marble walkway (a truly foolish choice in Vermont) leading up to the front door. Last week, the drainage tubes beneath the marble slabs clogged and froze, causing frost heaves. The frost heaves rendered the marble slabs unstable, so we were forced to close off our front entrance. The steps leading up to the walkway were roped off and the rope bore a sign that read "Please use our back entrance." The same sign was taped to our locked front door. All day long we watched people exit their cars, head towards our front steps and then double back to use our back entrance. And then there was this one woman....
    I watched her leave her car and head toward the front steps. I waited to see her double back. I waited some more...and then I heard it. She was pulling on the locked front door. She pulled and pulled and pulled. I could have unlocked the door for her and let her into the store, but it occurred to me that someone stupid enough to crawl under a rope that held a sign that said "Please use our back entrance." to trawl across a snowy, wobbly walkway to pull again and again and again on a door that sported a sign reading "Please use our back entrance" might be someone that I would want to avoid.
    My decision was the correct one. I decided this when I watched her double back and get into her car and leave.

Sounds about right. At my mall we re-poured the concrete of a handicap ramp at the curb leading up to the sidewalk at one of our entrances. It was blocked with ropes and yellow sawhorses. Every other door had a functional ramp. I watched a woman in a motorized hoverround thing cruise by 3-doors to get to the blocked one, pull up the rope so she could drive under, then drive her hoverround THROUGH the wet concrete. The back of her seat caught the rope and pulled the sawhorses down into the concrete too. She then went in through the door. We managed to salvage the concrete, but the tire marks are still there!
    Last edited by LillFilly; 01-06-2013, 01:33 AM.
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Sure, it's funny now, until you get that angry letter about being closed for no reason forcing them to drive into town for nothing.
      - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Actually, I almost expected her to slip on the uneven surface, or fall over the ropes when walking back to her car... then threatening to sue you.
        I still miss my ex.
        But my aim is getting better.

Comment

I've seen people walk up to stores that have no lights on inside, pull on the locked doors repeatedly, push their faces up against the glass to stare in at the darkened store with no one inside...and then continue to pull on the door handles.

So yeah, why let a little thing like a rope and a sign stop you??
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
            Sure, it's funny now, until you get that angry letter about being closed for no reason forcing them to drive into town for nothing.
            The minute she got back into her car I saw her pull out her cell phone. I was certain that she was calling our number to see what was going on, but our phone never rang. I was fully prepared to call her out on her stupidity by being sure to point out all of the obstacles she had to overcome to get to our locked front door.

Comment

Quoth retailninja View Post
              The minute she got back into her car I saw her pull out her cell phone. I was certain that she was calling our number to see what was going on, but our phone never rang. .
              What makes you think she's smart enough to dial the correct number...?

Comment

Signs? What signs?

She probably called some other store, probably unrelated to your store, and chewed them out for not having any signs explaining why your doors wouldn't open.
                I have a map of the world. It's actual size.

-- Steven Wright

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                  So yeah, why let a little thing like a rope and a sign stop you??
                  Some people are stupid that way. For example, up until spring of 2010, I had a nice pile of rubble where my porch steps should have been. The summer before, I'd ripped the damn things out...but couldn't find someone to haul the rubble away. We're talking a 3 foot pile of broken concrete, bricks, and other debris. I'd left the railings attached, but roped everything off. I even included a nice sign saying "please use back door." While I was at it, I took a photo of the 'barriers' for some CYA.

Most people were pretty damn appreciative. My car parts and other stuff came to the 'delivery entrance.' But, this one guy, who was collecting signatures for some petition...decided to do things the hard way. That is, he took down my ropes and climbed over the pile of rubble I mean, what the hell was he doing? At least he didn't threaten to sue me when he injured himself
                  Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

I really have to wonder how the hell people manage to dress themselves and live through the day when they are that dumb. And to think this is what humankind has evolutionized itself to. We as a species used to be smart to go through the caveman days and on down to now. What happened that people are so dumb now?
                    https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                    Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Working...
                    X