This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I finally said "no" to something

I really don't mind job creep... at this point, I'm writing this on my extended lunch break because I simply don't have enough to do, so please, give me more work to do, give me something to challenge me, I welcome it. But, I finally got a request that I said no to with no regrets.
    I've been having to write an unusually large number of exception reports recently for cashiers not filling out their paperwork completely (specifically, leaving the comp section empty, when I know for certain that they had comps). The food and beverage manager came back with the response "well, you have extra time, rather than just writing the exception reports, why don't you just fill it out for them?"
    Umm... no.
    And this isn't me being lazy, this is me sticking to principles.
    My job title is "Internal Audit Clerk"
    The key word there is "audit"
    I verify the completeness and accuracy of work and correct mistakes when I find them. Once I start filling out the paperwork for them, I can no longer in good conscience say that I have also verified the paperwork. There is a reason why the verification is now completed as a separate process. A second pair of eyes will find mistakes that the first won't see. I can't be both the first and second set of eyes.
    My exact response though was a bit more nuanced than "no", it was more of an "well, if you want to convince HR to change my job title to reflect that I am no longer auditing for your department, so I don't have to lie to our external auditors about what my role is, then be my guest. Until then, my job is to audit, and auditing is what I will do."
    If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

I'd tell your boss about that request from the F&B manager. It somehow feels a bit shady, or at least like the F&B manager is too lazy to manage his cashiers.
    Reporting it is a CYA move, in case the F&B manager tries to throw you under the bus.
    No trees were killed in the posting of this message.

However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

I'd also like to point out that if you started filling out the paperwork, you'd be enabling bad behavior instead of correcting it. It would mean no one would ever fill out the paperwork, and would probably expect you to start doing other things as well. What happens when you're suddenly busier, and don't have time to cover for others' laziness? I doubt they'll be the ones getting in trouble.
      A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
        What happens when you're suddenly busier, and don't have time to cover for others' laziness? I doubt they'll be the ones getting in trouble.
        Oh, but it is only because it is getting so busy that they simply don't have the time to do it...
        Umm... then you have a scheduling problem, which is most definitely not my problem.
        If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Quoth BeeMused View Post
          F&B manager tries to throw you under the bus.
          I think this may be the F&B manager's entire motive in the first place.
          I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
          -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Working...
          X