Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much trouble am I likely to get in?

I'm pretty sure there's work tomorrow for my department. However, the idiot in charge of the hotline (which I dial to see if there's work) yet again forgot to mention my department.

I don't understand how hard it is to pick up a phone, push a few buttons, and say "There will be work for departments A, B, and C tomorrow."

So like I said...I'm pretttty sure there's work. But I also feel like I need to prove a point to this dumb c-u-next tuesday. So I'm just not going in. Hey, the hotline says no work for me. even though there is.

But seriously, how much trouble will I get in? If you were my boss, how would you handle this, knowing I deliberately bailed on a work day (but can't prove it), but ultimatetly it was YOUR (as in, the authority and powers that be) fault?

You are not on the published schedule to work, it's all on them. You did what you were obligated to do, checking the schedule. It's not YOUR fault if the person making the schedule is a dumbass.

Just to CYA, I think I'd call and check again on Monday, she might have realized her mistake and corrected it. Not likely, but possible. On Monday, if there's still no mention, then you are totally off the hook. All your boss can do is call you Tuesday and say "Please will you come in to work today?" To which you can reply "Sure, this time, but in the future if the schedule isn't correct I won't."
    You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Depends on how much of a jerk your boss is. Just make sure you're keeping notes about the times you call and that your department is not mentioned.

At one job, I misplaced my written schedule and when I realized I didn't have it, I was frantically e-mailing and calling everyone I could think of to get another copy. Of course, it happened to be over the Christmas holiday that year and no one got back to me before I'd missed a shift. I didn't get in huge trouble over it--probably because up until then I'd never missed a shift like that--but I did get an attendance point.
      I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Quoth Kittish View Post
        Just to CYA, I think I'd call and check again on Monday, she might have realized her mistake and corrected it. Not likely, but possible.
        also if possible RECORD the hotline saying no work, so the person in charge doesn't say, "oh they didn't call in see it says they have work", after changes are made.
        Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

If you never miss work days normally, and your boss isn't an asshole, you should be covered. But don't go around telling people at work about this, or it will make you look bad and your boss will expect you to magically know next time that there's work for you even if your dept isn't mentioned.

We had a manager a few years ago who used to procrastinate putting up the new schedules. The week before I went on vacation around Thanksgiving one year, Friday came along and the new schedule still wasn't up. Wouldn't you know that that week, he had put me on an earlier shift for the Monday after Thanksgiving? I showed up at my usual time and someone told me I was supposed to have been there half an hour ago.

Best part is that putting up the schedule late is actually a contract violation. We had been letting him slide; but after that I got on his case every time that new schedule didn't go up when it should have.
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Well its lunch time....not a word was spoken of it.

Im starting to think its impossible to get fired here. I think next ill bring a sixpack of pbr to work.

Jk

Comment

Quoth deysongrey View Post
              I think next ill bring a sixpack of pbr to work.
              You hipster.
              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I pulled this once at the wholesale club. By regulation, the schedule was supposed to be up a week in advance, but by custom and practice, it usually went up the Thursday or Friday before it took effect. (Schedules were Sun to Sat.)

(This custom and practice might have been down to the club seeming to burn through personnel managers at the rate of about two per year, and the replacements never quite managing to catch up enough to get ahead of the schedule.)

One week, however, they didn't get the schedule up before the end of the Saturday evening shift. Basically, no one had their schedules for the NEXT DAY's shift, much less the rest of the week.

I was pissed about it. I was fairly certain I'd be scheduled, but I made it known that I wasn't going to come in because of this. I informed my folks about it, too.

Sure enough, the next day, I got a call from the club. And it was my least favorite front-line supervisor, Ol' Scarface Herself, making the call, too. When I explained why I wasn't coming in, she told me that "everyone else" had called in to get their schedules. I replied with "that must have been very inconvenient for everybody concerned," but stated that since the schedule hadn't been up when I left for the night the night before, I assumed that I wasn't scheduled, and hence I could not come in since I had made plans for the day.

She told me to hold on while she got a manager. I hung up on her. The store called back a few minutes later, but my folks told them I'd left the house (I hadn't) and refused to give them my cell phone number, since "You already have it in your records." (Which they did. No clue why they persisted in calling the house instead of my cell when they wanted to get in touch with me.)

Fortunately, the manager who I spoke with when I went in the next time I was scheduled was a manager whom I'd known for years at that point. She and I agreed that I hadn't been very diplomatic, but I also refused to apologize to OSH about it, and restated that it was extremely bad to not have the schedule ready by then. She agreed with me, and to their credit, they never let it get quite that far. I more or less got a slap on the wrist for it.
                PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Working...
                X