This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minor IT Frustrations

As anyone who's read my IT-related posts here can attest, I hate it when users call asking for time estimations on when work will get done on their ticket. We at the ITSD are taught and encouraged to NEVER give timeframe estimates on tickets when we send the tickets to another team, because we don't want to put that team on the spot or under the bus.

I, especially, will straight-up refuse to give time estimates if users persist in asking for one. I always use verbiage on the lines of "they'll be in touch as soon as they can."

Earlier, one of our users was having a profile issue. Couldn't log on at any workstation. So I sent the ticket to her account problems team, gave her the usual "someone will call you as soon as they can" spiel, and that was that.

A little over an hour later, one of my CWs pings me on IM, quotes the ticket number to me and says "She says someone was supposed to call her within an hour." I facepalm, explain to CW that I never told her that, and reiterated that someone will be in touch as soon as they can. I also added (after a look at the ticket) that there was no further update to report.

I don't really want to ascribe suck to the user. Just a minor annoyance.
    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Don't you know that "as soon as possible" means, "within the next five minutes" with SCs? It's apparently a value they assign to the word, "soon." It's the same ones that managers use for employees, except that they mean, "five minutes ago" rather than "next five minutes."

Gamers, however, have a different time assignment to the word, "soon." You have your EA "soon" which usually runs around 3 months. Blizzard "soon" which is usually 6 months. Zenimax "soon" which is a year or more.
    If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

And the Valve "Soon™" which means "maybe this century, maybe not".

Comment

Quoth Chromatix View Post
        And the Valve "Soon™" which means "maybe this century, maybe not".
        Correction: Valve "Soon™" means "when GabeN learns how to count to 3."
        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

Comment

Well, yes. Exactly.

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
            Correction: Valve "Soon™" means "when GabeN learns how to count to 3."
            HMMMM I wonder what game that could be???????
            I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
            -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

SOE (Daybreak Games) "Soon™" seems to be another 3-6 month range as well.

Comment

Ah yes. See also "If you'd quit interrupting me with status requests, it would be done already" and "Check your mail, I sent you the completion notice fifteen minutes ago".
                Cheap, fast, good. Pick two.
                They want us to read minds, I want read/write.

Comment

Another sort of one came up today, initially for CW EA, but drew me in as well.

Luser called in needing their password reset on [LowNet]. EA tries to take care of this for them, but his tools on LowNet aren't working. He pops in the ITSD chat and asks if someone can do the reset for him, he gets a response in-chat about it.

Then EA comes over to my desk and asks if my LowNet tools are working, 'cuz his aren't. Luser still needs their password reset. EA warns me, "They seem like a special one." Which I interpret to mean simply as "not very tech savvy, needs their hand held." But I reset Luser's password for him.

A few minutes later, EA comes back over and asks if Luser's account is locked out. HE'S STILL ON THE PHONE WITH THEM, some ten minutes after the call started. I check on LowNet, but her account doesn't show as locked. Now, it could just be a matter of checking a different domain controller to see if it's locked out there, but every time I try to switch to a different DC to check it, my tool locks up.

So I just tell EA, "No, it's not locked." He goes back to Luser, a minute or so later, he asks, "Are you sure it's not locked?" "Yes, EA, I'm sure. It is NOT locked."

Minute or so later, he comes back to my desk, "They're saying it's still locked." I point him to my LowNet screen, where he can see what I'm seeing. Her account was NOT locked out.

He goes back over to her, and again, a minute or so later, he starts to ask me to double-check again, when I tell him, "Okay, EA? We've done everything we can. We reset their password. We triple-checked that their account is not locked. If they're still getting a locked-out message, then either they're not typing in the password correctly-- which is on them, for not writing it down-- or there's something else going on, in which case, we can't fix it. Send it to Account Problems."

And lo, Luser's problem became somebody else's to deal with.

Sigh. Some people really should have someone specifically on-call to deal with them.

Comment

Working...
                  X