X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Requiem for a doughnut

It's a minor complaint but...

Today was National Doughnut Day and I decided to stop by the local grocery store and pick up doughnuts for my coworkers (because I'm the BEST CW ). They were running doughnut specials in their bakery and had lots of boxes ready.

Now I love the maple bars, but there were none in the case and none in any of the assorted boxes. Both myself and another customer were looking for them. Oh well, I grabbed an assorted box.

Just then the clouds parted and trumpets rang out and a baker came out with *two* trays of fresh warm maple bars! He saw me staring not-so-subtly and warned me that he'd just frosted them and they were still a bit messy.

So carefully, oh so carefully, I picked one up and set it in a bag. I left plenty of space in there to not smear the frosting. I got just the one for myself (my CWs could suck it and suffer whatever crap was in the assorted box ). I carried it around like a fragile relic while I finished the rest of my shopping, which included some glass juice bottles and Easy Macs.

At the check-out, I put my precious maple bar at the tail end of my groceries with the box of assorted inferior doughnuts. "Do you want a bag?" the cashier asked. I nodded as I sorted through my wallet to find my debit card.

So the cashier dutifully bagged the glass juice bottles, the Easy Mac, and then...

"Oh, you don't need to..."

Before I could finish my sentence she tossed my maple bar down the side of the bag with the heavy items and picked up the bag. I cringed as I heard the bottles went *clank* and squished my maple bar! Most of the delicious maple icing was lost to the sides of the little bag it was in and it had a nice bottle-shaped indent.

I should have spoken up sooner. But really, two heavy items and one squishy one, it seems like maybe, *maybe* try to not bag them where they go squish? It's a small thing, but am I asking too much? Most cashiers will ask if you want those items left out. I wish I had said something sooner but is it wrong to be a bit upset that the cashier put my delicate squishy doughnut in with heavy glass bottles without a second thought?
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

She should have asked what was in the bag first.

I would have licked the frosting off the bag. I have no shame
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

When I buy myself a donut, I hold the bag up so the cashier can see what's in it, while saying "it's one donut" but I don't give it to them. This is a good example of why. Once a bagger put my loaf of bread on the bottom, followed by heavy cans. I feel so critical of baggers, but it's hard not to be peeved when they actually ruin something.

On a side note, wow, where did National Donut Day come from? It was everywhere, and I have never heard of it before today. Not that I disapprove, but it was just bam!
      Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

I've had baggers decide that bread or eggs would be great bag-mates with 2-liter bottles of liquid.

As for Donut Day, not sure about the origin, but I'm not complaining. The staff at the Krispy Kreme we went to to claim a free donut each might not be happy people today, though. The place was jammed. (We did get beverages as well, of course.)

Did see one SC badgering a hapless counter employee about how she should be able to get freebies for a half dozen other people supposedly waiting at her house.
        "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Frankly, I'd have asked for a new one as this one was swashed, because hey, they are suppose to know that you don't toss squishy things in with things that will squish them. Even Hell-mart employees are told not to be completely stupid.

And yet, I still have to rescue the bread from being put under the eggs. Or worse, the laundry detergent. Look, cashier, I know you aren't paid enough to care, but what makes you think that putting food with poisons is a good idea? You realize your number is on this transaction right and if someone gets poisoned because they are as stupid as you are, you are the one the company is gonna can.
          If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
            I've had baggers decide that bread or eggs would be great bag-mates with 2-liter bottles of liquid.
            And such people are a discredit to my profession. Please don't lump all of us in with these people.

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
              Did see one SC badgering a hapless counter employee about how she should be able to get freebies for a half dozen other people supposedly waiting at her house.
              Give them an inch, they demand a mile. Greedy pigs like this always ruin good things like National Donut Day.
              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
              My LiveJournal
              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

You can't expect any cashier or bagger to treat the hot donut with the same care you do, however you should be able to expect the bare minimum of care.

Many cashiers would never bag soft/fragile items with heavy items, yet a surprising number do. Sometimes it's because they don't care, other times I swear they honestly don't see it as a problem.
                A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

i had a bagger shove a PIE into a bag end up! fortunately it was a frozen pie and i righted it quickly, so no damage was done, but i did shoot the clerk a dirty look when i did so.

Comment

May I say it? I'm going to anyway..
                    The cashier was a bit of a "doughnut" themselves.
                    I'm so very sorry. That was awful, I shall leave now.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                      I would have licked the frosting off the bag. I have no shame
                      Let me join you in the shameless club here.

As for the rest, yeah, it seems baggers are one extreme or the other. I once had a guy put a package of Irish Spring bar soap in with a package of extremely expensive London Broil. The manager was not a happy camper. I've also had baggers put bread with canned goods. Ugh. I'm also pretty picky, and arrange my groceries on the belt the way I want them bagged, and some baggers see that and figure it out, but most don't. That's getting picky though. As long as they don't squish my bread and mix raw meat with fresh veggies or chemicals, I can get over some of my pickiness.
                      At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
                        And such people are a discredit to my profession. Please don't lump all of us in with these people.
                        I don't. I generally assume that the vast majority of people are at least somewhat competent at their jobs. These instances stood out in my memory for being unusual.
                        "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

When my brother worked at a supermarket, he said they had one customer who insisted that her items be bagged in the order that she would put them away at home. She wanted to be able to unpack the bags and put away each item in a specific order as they came out of the bags.
                          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I do prefer that my items be grouped rationally, such as canned all together (and multiples of the same thing together), frozen as a group, etc., and do group them on the conveyor to hopefully signal what I'd like grouped.

I'm not quite as picky as your brother's customer, though. Just keep categories together and I'm content.

Comment

Quoth KnittedPuppy View Post
                              May I say it? I'm going to anyway..
                              The cashier was a bit of a "doughnut" themselves.
                              I'm so very sorry. That was awful, I shall leave now.
                              Doughnut start with those awful puns!
                              Last edited by Mr Hero; 06-07-2015, 05:02 AM.
                              To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Working...
                              X