X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brainwashing at the buffet

So, two stories from the same trip.

Hubs and I got rid of the kiddo for the night and he took me out to a buffet for dinner. We paid, got our plates, sat down, and had a waitress pass us three times before even acknowledging we were there. By that point, our drinks had been empty for about ten minutes (the drinks aren't self-serve there), and we had plates piling up. She had no problem getting to the table behind us, though, who arrived and left at nearly the same times we did.

The people at that table, however, were horrible. They weren't making much of an attempt to be quiet but weren't being overly loud, either, so we heard quite a bit of their conversations. It was an older couple with their granddaughter (probably about 11 or so), and they kept telling her things like, "Your mother's one of those people who thinks she's above the law," and "She doesn't care about you or she'd be able to stay out of jail." Now, I get that yeah, maybe her mom doesn't have the best record, but you don't go telling a kid that. I've been on the child's end of that kind of talk before, and the only way to really explain it is that they WANT her to hate her mom, who may actually really love her.

The story doesn't end with that, though. The first time the waitress asked if they wanted more drinks, the granddaughter spoke up to say yeah, and the waitress walked away, while the grandmother yelled over the rest of the restaurant, "She's had enough Dr. Pepper, she doesn't need any more!" I didn't get to see the girl's face but Hubs was sitting across from me, where he could see her clearly, and said she looked heartbroken for a while. I wouldn't think much about it, parents do that all the time in my experience (except for the yelling over the restaurant part), except when another waitress came around asking people if they wanted ice cream, since it was near closing and she was about to shut the machine down, it happened again. The waitress asked her directly, "Do you want ice cream?" Hubs says she started nodding excitedly, until her grandparents took over and said, "No, she doesn't need any," then she started shaking her head "No" just as hard.

The worst part for me was that the grandparents looked to be incredibly overweight, while she looked rather skinny for her height. Not dangerously so, but an extra glass of Dr. Pepper or some ice cream couldn't have hurt. They're obviously pretty controlling, and I feel bad for her.
    The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

I have an aunt (who lives hours away...^_^) who is like this. She isn't the type to push back from the table when sodas/beer/desserts are present, but she's the first to criticize everyone *else* -- child or adult -- for doing exactly the same thing.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

The girl wasn't heartbroken, I bet she was embarrassed as hell. Nothing like having the smallest action criticized publicly, and have your parent (and therefore your feelings for the parent) belittled.
      A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Working...
      X