X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something doesn't smell right?

Or maybe not?
    I'm interviewing for a company in DC and The interviewer said that "he'll take me for a ride and drive me places" during the interview. Now I've been on many interviews, however, no ones made me get in a car and taken me here and there.
    This is for a part time delivery job. I've checked out the company on the web since I've never heard of it before and they seem legit. However it seems...odd?
    What do you all think, should I just go or ignore? Something doesn't smell right.
    Can't reason with the unreasonable.
    The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

Follow your instincts. Yours are throwing up a huge red flag so listen to it & don't go.

Comment

A stranger, upon meeting someone for the first time driving places you are not familiar with...

Ya, I do not like it either.

Then again, when I was younger, I interviewed for a job that was like that. Picked up a medical sample and drive it 100 miles, then come back (horrible job, horrible pay, lucky thing I did not get it). But at least the job was legitimate. I live in rural Kansas though, and was able to be raised a bit more trusting.

Today, I would not have agreed to that interview.

However, thinking about it some more, it is possible the interviewer wants to test your driving skills. Any idiot can get a license, perhaps they are looking for actually skilled drivers.

It is a tough call. Maybe ask if your spouse, or someone you trust, can ride along with you.
      I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

My question is what company? Its odd, very odd, but i can see how it might be useful to judge you.
        Seph
        Taur10
        "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

I could kinda see a ride-along (judge driving skills/sense of direction/etc), but if they'll be driving you around the whole time? A bit strange to me as well.
          "I am quite confident that I do exist."
          "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Sounds odd to me too.
            I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
            -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Very odd. Two options:

a) have a friend / family member come with you. If you get questioned politely say the request sounded odd and whilst you are sure its not for any bad reason you are taking sensible steps to protect yourself. If the interviewer freaks at that... do you actually want to work for them.

b) Have a friend /family member install a app that allows them to track your phone GPS (and turn it on if you don't usually). Set check in times and periods etc and if they don't hear from you they check that GPS and take further action. Its unfortunate to be seen using your phone during an interview but could be done relatively discretely.

I;d prefer a) but b) is at least a backup and if arranged suitably its possible the interviewer won't even realise its anything beyond you getting an urgent call.

C) would be to ask directly why they feel its best to conduct an interview in this manner at all. Again if they question why you want to know do you really want to work for them?
              I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

I forgot to mention that it was for a bike only delivery job.
                He said that he'll show me where to go, to pick up etc.
                Company's called WashLaundry or something like that.
                He replies very slow via email. Oh well, PASS! Next....
                Can't reason with the unreasonable.
                The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

Comment

I think you dodged a bullet.
                  "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                    I think you dodged a bullet.
                    Reminds me of being at a screening interview at a job where, aside from the interviewer being a creep, there was gunfire not far away outside the building while I was there... yeah, dodging the bullet had a little bit too real of a meaning on that one... and yes, I did ignore any calls from them after that.
                    If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Something soimilar happened to me.

When I was job hunting here I got a call from an employment agency about a job in another city, so would I meet them at a train station tomorrow to meet the employer? I asked them to send me through a job description and I'd let them know. Next day, got a call- where are you? Erm, you didn't send me a job description as you said you would and I'm not going anywhere till i have more details. Oh okay, we'll send those through now to you, never heard from them again.

Honestly

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
                        ... there was gunfire not far away outside the building while I was there... yeah, dodging the bullet had a little bit too real of a meaning on that one...
                        Apparently the gal who interviewed for one of my paper routes before me was given a copy of the route. She called the manager the next day screaming about how dare he send her into that neighborhood! Someone had been shot there recently...

...in fact, I've actually delivered a newspaper in the midst of a shooting before, in that same general area (welcome to the 'hood, yo!), but that's another story...

...but back to the OP, it does sound like red flags. Like I mentioned, on the route we get a copy of the throw list so we can check out the area ourselves beforehand and we'll ride along with a trainer when we're learning the route, but for an initial interview that seems like a bit much. I'd trust your gut on this one.
                        Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Working...
                        X