This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jewelry =/= Golf

This happened about a year ago, I work as a jeweler, but sometimes when the front is busy I answer the phone

Me: "*jewerly store* how can I help you?"

SC: "Um... I am looking for a... gold smith?"

Me: "yes, we are gold smiths, did you need a repair?"

SC: "Well, um... I am having problem with my golf club and my friend told me to call a gold smith..."

Me: "What? Um, We are gold smiths, like jewelers, we can repair jewelry...?"

SC: "Um, so can you tell me about *specific question about a type of golf club*"

Me: "I don't know ANYTHING about golf... this is a jewelry store..."

SC: "But my friend told me to call a GOLD smith"

Me: "Um, I don't know what he was talking about, but we can't help you with golf questions..."

SC: "Oh, are you sure?... ok, bye I guess"

about 5 min later i realized he was told to call Golfsmith (a golf store), i wish i could have remembered the place while i was on the phone with him. one of the strangest calls i have gotten while working there.

The weird thing is while gold smith and Golfsmith look similar, they don't sound alike, so I don't see how he could've misheard his friend (although I suppose he could've been texting with his friend and misread it).

Comment

Quoth siskaren View Post
      (although I suppose he could've been texting with his friend and misread it).
      The possibility of texting leads to the possibility of Damn You Auto Correct (or even a fat finger).

Comment

I think "Goldsmith" was the name of the golfing store. But I'm betting the customer will call the buddy up and figure it out.

actually the buddy will probably get a good laugh out of it too i'm betting.

Comment

I bet the customer will call a pet store and see if he can get golffish.
          To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth siskaren View Post
            The weird thing is while gold smith and Golfsmith look similar, they don't sound alike, so I don't see how he could've misheard his friend (although I suppose he could've been texting with his friend and misread it).
            If you are partially deaf you tend to hear the vowel sounds of words more than the consonants.

My mom once heard a friend recommend a restaurant because of its teabags.
            Actually the friend had said sea bass.

I suspect something similar happened here.
            "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

It's funny, every time I take an ad for golf clubs or other golfing stuff, I tend to type 'gold' instead of 'golf'...I vote for the mis-typed text...
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth cinema guy View Post
                If you are partially deaf you tend to hear the vowel sounds of words more than the consonants.

My mom once heard a friend recommend a restaurant because of its teabags.
                Actually the friend had said sea bass.

I suspect something similar happened here.
                But the vowel sounds in teabags and sea bass are the same. However, in "golf," the vowel sound is the same as the "a" in fall, whereas in "gold" the vowel sound is a long "o."

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                It's funny, every time I take an ad for golf clubs or other golfing stuff, I tend to type 'gold' instead of 'golf'...I vote for the mis-typed text...
                That I could definitely see, since the "d" and "f" are next to each other on the keyboard. I'm always making typos like that (although I usually catch it immediately.)

Comment

Working...
                X