Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

very very bad 24 hours. very bad. and very long.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• very very bad 24 hours. very bad. and very long.

Short story:
    I've had a really rotten last 24 hours.

Long story:
    My wife and I were house/animal sitting for one of my best friends and her boyfriend. They, along with their baby, went to Florida for 2 weeks. We were doing this as a favor to them. Certainly not for us. They live an hour away from my work, so it was an inconvenience, but I'm always willing to help out a friend. And we were supposedly the only friends she trusted enough to stay at their house. They also told us that we could use their truck if we needed a second vehicle at any time.

The wife has been sick lately with a really bad cough and off/on fever. Yesterday I was supposed to work 10-7. When I left for work she still wasn't feeling good. I get to work at 10. Wife calls me around 1:30 saying she just left the doctor's office (she had taken their truck because I had ours) and she was in so much pain she could barely see to drive. I told her to drive to her parents house, which is only a few minutes away from the doctor's office, and I'd leave work early and go get her. Turns out her doctor didn't even run any tests to see why she was having chest pains and all that. She just told her it was a little bit of bronchitis and gave her a prescription. I left work at 2 and got there around 3:30 (traffic). She was having severe chest pains, had a fever of 102, and body aches so bad that she was in tears. We left the borrowed truck there and I brought her to the hospital. Luckily they took her in right away because of the chest pains. They did an EKG and something came back not normal but they didn't know what it was at that time. They brought her into a room and put her on a monitor, gave her a breathing treatment, did a chest X-ray, a chest catscan, and a couple more EKGs. They also gave her an IV and 3 or 4 different types of medication to stop the pain, fever, and nausea. They finally came in after all the tests and told us she has the start of pneumonia. But they also said that she has a Left Bundle Branch Blockage, which is some kind of blockage in her heart. It was completely unrelated to why she was there, but they found it on the EKGs and the chest X-ray. So now she has to see a cardiologist, and I'm freaking out.

The story continues....
    Finally we get home (back to the house we're sitting at) around 9pm. We decided it was too late, and she was too doped up on the meds they gave her, to drive the truck home. We figured we'd just get up early and get it in the morning before I left for work. A little while later, my friend that we're house-sitting for IMs me and says a friend of hers drove by the house and didn't see their truck and called them. Here's where I went a little wrong. I told her the truck is there, but someone was parked behind it so you couldn't see it from the road. The reason I lied and I didn't tell her it wasn't there is because I know how her boyfriend is and I knew he would've freaked out because it wasn't in front of his house (even though it was in a much safer neighboorhood than they live in, so nothing would happen to it). I figured they're on vacation, I didn't want them to worry over nothing, so I didn't tell them. She says 'Oh OK, well then they're coming by to get the truck because they're going to do some work on it for us." Uh-oh....if I had known that BEFORE I'd told her it wasn't there, I would've just told her the truth. I thought I was helping by not causing them to worry over something so trivial on their vacation. When her friend got there, they had my friend on the phone, and she was flipping out on me because I lied. I tried exlpaining to her why I lied and why the truck was not at their house, but she didn't care. She told us she wanted us out of her house. Fine with me. I was only doing this as a favor to her. Only thing that made me really mad was that she made us pack everything up and leave, when I had just got done telling her (about an hour before that) about my wife having pneumonia and a blockage. She made us pack everything up in the middle of the night anyway, and she made her other friends sit there with us to make sure we didn't steal anything of hers. She's known me long enough that she should know that I would NEVER steal anything of hers. I've also never lied to her about anything, but she suddenly accused me of constantly lying to her and she was going to report the truck as stolen.

After we finished packing everything up (including our cat, who we had brought along with us and is now traumatized from suffering through 2 long car rides in 3 days and being taken from her home) her friends followed us to my in-laws house where the truck was parked. I had to wake them up so I could get inside and get the keys, which we had left in case they needed to move the truck. We had to get our things out of the truck (GPS and such) and they left with it. When I opened the door to our truck, the spring fell out of the door and the door wouldn't close. Now I've REALLY had it. Her jackass of a brother had to come outside and fix it, bitching the entire time that he WAS sleeping. OK, NOT MY FAULT that your father (who had apparently been awake but didn't hear me knocking, so I was standing out there for 10 minutes in the middle of the night) made YOU come out instead of doing it himself. We didn't get home till around 1am. And I don't know who's going to feed her fish and her dog now that we're not there. Not my problem anymore, though.

Now, what do you guys think about how this all happened? I know I shouldn't have lied to her, but I really did have good intentions. And she's known me long enough that she shouldn't have flown off the handle like she did, and she should've known that I would never steal anything of hers, or anyones. I couldn't even leave a dirty dish out before I left. I made sure I washed our used dishes, turned off all the lights, and turned down the heat a bit so she wouldn't lose propane. Why I did all that after the things she said I don't know. But the fact that she knew what my wife was going through, and she STILL made us pack everything up like that and leave......that really made me so angry, now I'm not even sure I want anything more to do with her or her boyfriend. I will miss my niece, though.

Latest update: she has removed both my wife and I from her myspace pages. Doesn't really phase me, as I was considering removing her from mine when I got home from work anyway. I'm just mad that she got to it before I did. (for all you myspacers out there, you probably know that removing someone from your friends list is a true testament to the end of a friendship)
    Last edited by sexiphatchick; 04-16-2009, 05:04 PM.

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success.

Talk to them when they come back in a nuetral place. Appologize for lying and ask for forgiveness. Do NOT try to explain away the lie, that will only make things worse. If they do not agree to meet, chaulk it up to a life lesson hard learned and move on.

Comment

Yeah, you shouldn't have lied, but your intentions were understandable. Sounds like she's totally overreacting, though. Is she always like this? Might explain why there's no one else she trusts to housesit; or maybe that's not true and there just wasn't anyone else willing to do it....
      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Give them a few weeks to cool off, write an apology (on real paper not an email) and send it to them.

Then leave the ball in their court, if either of them reply then go continue with your friendship, if not continue with your life.
        you shouldn't have lied but you were under some fairly intense stress, if she can't understand that when shes had some time to cool off then shes not worth the effort.

I hope your wife is okay!
        I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
          Yeah, you shouldn't have lied, but your intentions were understandable. Sounds like she's totally overreacting, though. Is she always like this? Might explain why there's no one else she trusts to housesit; or maybe that's not true and there just wasn't anyone else willing to do it....
          Yeah she is, kinda. If I had had any idea that someone would be coming looking for the truck, I wouldn't even have left it at the in-laws in the first place. But she never told us anyone was coming to take it. She had told us that we could use it all week.

Comment

Quoth Kiwi View Post
            I hope your wife is okay!
            Thanks, me too.

Comment

This "friend" doesn't sound like one. It seems that she was looking for trouble with you. What an immense overreaction of them to send friends over to make sure you didn't steal anything. And why did this other person call and report the truck missing to begin with? Given how unbalanced your friend sounds, it wouldn't surprise me if she'd sent that person over to check up on you.

Your mistake was lying with good intent. Your "friend", on the other hand, just sounds like a paranoid bitch. I'd just chalk it up as good riddance. Forget it and focus on taking care of your wife.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Quoth Boozy View Post
                This "friend" doesn't sound like one. It seems that she was looking for trouble with you. What an immense overreaction of them to send friends over to make sure you didn't steal anything. And why did this other person call and report the truck missing to begin with? Given how unbalanced your friend sounds, it wouldn't surprise me if she'd sent that person over to check up on you.

Your mistake was lying with good intent. Your "friend", on the other hand, just sounds like a paranoid bitch. I'd just chalk it up as good riddance. Forget it and focus on taking care of your wife.
                I'll agree with this assessment. If they trust you enough to house sit - as a favor (I'm assuming little to no payment for this?) then they should have trusted you with the truck (even though lying was a mistake).
                Quote Dalesys:
                ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Quoth Boozy View Post
                  Given how unbalanced your friend sounds, it wouldn't surprise me if she'd sent that person over to check up on you.
                  Ya know, I was kinda thinking the same thing.

Comment

I hope your wife is feeling better!

This is a terrible sitauation. Even though I do understand your reasoning for lying...it's just always better to tell the truth. I do think that your friend over-reacted as well...making her other friends stay there to make sure you didn't steal anything was just over the top. Especially if you have been friends for so long. Things happen...the fact that your friend didn't even listen to your reasoning at all is incomprehensible.
                    "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

I just found out that she did, in fact, set us up. Her friends that came by never came to take the truck to do work on it, she had them drive by to spy on us. We just happened to inadvertently walk into the trap. So yes, I lied once. And she lied at least 3 times...1)she said she trusted us, 2) she said they were coming to get the truck to do work on it, and 3) she said she was 'helping us out' by having us stay at her house. she wasn't helping us, she was setting us up, and it was more of an inconvenience to us than anything else seeing as how her house is over an hour away from my work.

All these years I thought she was a true friend, and she does something like this? I can't even believe there are people like this in the world. I am so mad, and so disgusted right now.

Oh, and how did I find out? She posted her entire story on her friends myspace page, bragging about how she set us up and we walked right into it....along with a whole ton of complete lies about us.

Comment

oh, and the wife is starting to feel a little better, although I have banished her to the recliner for a couple more days. I'm even attempting to do the laundry on my own so she has nothing to do but relax and sleep.....last time I attempted laundry, I flooded the basement. So far this time, no floods. I think I'm getting better. Then again, I've only done one load. I have about 4 more to do tomorrow.

Comment

With her bragging on her MySpace about setting you guys up just proves she's a disgusting piece of garbage who isn't worthy of an apology.
                          Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

If I were you I'd print out a screen-cap of her Myspace story and send it to her saying that its a good thing she put it up on her page- so that all her OTHER "friends" can now watch their backs, and be prepared to be stabbed as well.
                            The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

Quoth sexiphatchick View Post
                              But they also said that she has a Left Bundle Branch Blockage, which is some kind of blockage in her heart. It was completely unrelated to why she was there, but they found it on the EKGs and the chest X-ray. So now she has to see a cardiologist, and I'm freaking out.
                              I don't know what the people at the hospital told you, but a LBBB is not a blockage per se. It's a delay in the conduction pathway of the heart. Basically, the nerves that control the left ventricle are running a little slower than the rest. Wiki Article. Although if she ever needs a Nuclear Stress test, she should NOT walk the treadmill or have dobutamine. She needs to have either Adenosine or Persantine to avoid a false-positive defect on the images.

Sorry that this scumbag treated the two of you this way. I hope your wife gets to feeling better and that the cardiologist has good news.
                              I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Working...
                              X