This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
    You have photographic evidence of her shoplifting and scamming, and yet can't have her barred entirely?
    Well, I didn't make the rules.

Comment

My old store was the same way. I once asked Shithead about that policy, and he said that the company was too afraid of the thief suing. Yup. The shoplifter might sue the store. Something about "violating their rights", I don't remember the exact reasoning and I don't think he even knew....I knew that the other stores could and did use the banhammer with some regularity, then the trounced thief came to this one because they knew we didn't do anything about it

I suspect that since we had no actual security and therefore "no evidence" (camera footage can be misread and employees lie doncha know ) they didn't want to do actual work to pursue anything.
      "I am quite confident that I do exist."
      "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
        My old store was the same way. I once asked Shithead about that policy, and he said that the company was too afraid of the thief suing. Yup. The shoplifter might sue the store. Something about "violating their rights", I don't remember the exact reasoning and I don't think he even knew...
        In our case, a lot of it has to do with state law and what the local police will and won't do. The cops won't generally come out for a simple trespass unless there's a violent crime or a property crime associated with it as well, and our LP runs the risk of being hit with false arrest or kidnapping charges if they detain someone who isn't currently committing a crime. Basically, they're allowed to stop and detain someone only if they attempt to exit the store with product they haven't attempted to pay for and we have constant video surveillance of them from selection until their attempted exit. Sometimes they'll go in the bathroom where there's no cameras, unpackage the stuff, and act like they brought it in with them, but we can still nab them as long as we can find the packaging. We can also bust them if they consume a product and abandon the package in the store. Busting them today for something they did yesterday, however, is more difficult, and they prefer not to try and go that route.

Comment

Working...
        X