Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's not like it's important to know...

I'm having a hard time believing it. I've read others' stories about people who don't know how to spell their own names, but I've never encountered it before. (Lucky, I guess.) This customer didn't know how to spell how to spell her own son's name. A name she had, presumably, chosen for him. And it's not like she was still groggy from giving birth. No, she described the boy as old enough to walk around in the middle of the night, stealing her glasses off her night table. But still she's going, "ummmm, A, ...Y, D, umm I..."

I was almost relieved that her credit sucked and I couldn't open the account.
    "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
    -Mira Furlan

Wow, Mother of the Year there.

Comment

It seems to have been the fashion in recent years to try to spell names in ever more fanciful ways, with extra Ys and Es where none existed before... maybe she had come up with a spelling so convoluted that even she couldn't remember it?
      Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Quoth Marmalady View Post
        It seems to have been the fashion in recent years to try to spell names in ever more fanciful ways, with extra Ys and Es where none existed before... maybe she had come up with a spelling so convoluted that even she couldn't remember it?
        Hell, I thought some parents just threw a bunch of letters together in a hat and shook them up and poured them out and whatever arrangement they landed in was the name of their child.

Guess that's out of fashion now, huh?
        Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

I don't get that trend of "new" spellings of common names... well, I GET it, someone's determined that their little speshul darling will be DIFFERENT from all the other Johns and Jennifers out there.... but all it does is ensure a lifetime of phone/computer/database misunderstandings for their poor kid.

Funny, my first name is as old as the Apostles, and I've never felt inferior for that. The only time it ever was a problem was when there were 5 of us working in the same building.... an overhead page with no last name given could cause pure chaos.
          - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

In rural Utah wierd spellings have been around for a long time. I.e., circa 1937: D'On (wife of a cousin of my dad's).
            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

In my high school yeargroup there were 7 guys with my name, 3 of which were in my homeroom class (including me.) Luckily, we were all good friends, so in the unlikely event one of us received something meant for the others it was easy for us to redistribute it correctly.
              This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
              I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
                In my high school yeargroup there were 7 guys with my name, 3 of which were in my homeroom class (including me.) Luckily, we were all good friends, so in the unlikely event one of us received something meant for the others it was easy for us to redistribute it correctly.
                Lots of years ago, when my daughter was born, I wanted her to have a unique name. My first choice was the name of a junior high friend that I loved (the name, not necessarily the friend, lol) I have still never seen it since, either, but my ex hated the name, so unfortunately I backed down, and went with my second choice. Second choice was another junior high friend, whose name I had never seen but once or twice, at that point in time. However, after naming her that, it turned out to be "the" name of the year, if not of the decade. So much for unique

Madness takes it's toll....
                Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Both of my personal names are from the Old Testament, not at all rare in English speaking countries, and with the standard spelling as found in most Bibles. That doesn't stop people from assuming that some *other* variant of spelling - there are at least three in fairly common use - is the correct one.

Ironically, over here in Finland, I tend to have the most unique name in any particular gathering. It certainly stands out among the many Jari, Kari, Antti, Timo etc. names that are more popular here.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
                    Funny, my first name is as old as the Apostles, and I've never felt inferior for that. The only time it ever was a problem was when there were 5 of us working in the same building.... an overhead page with no last name given could cause pure chaos.
                    We had that at our store for awhile when we had 3 guys named "Steve." (actually 2 of them go by Steven, the other went by Steve.) Even funnier is when there would be a page and all 3 of them were in the store at the time - we'd have to use both first and last name just to avoid confusion.

At one point both Ma and I were threatening to put numbers on all 3 of them.
                    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
                      At one point both Ma and I were threatening to our names to Steve.
                      Company unity, ya know.

Or as Tom Paxton sang:
                      "I'm changing my name to Chrysler Fannie Mae!
                      When they hand a billion grand out, I'll be standing with my hand out,
                      Yes sir, I'll get mine!"
                      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

We had that at our store for awhile when we had 3 guys named "Steve." (actually 2 of them go by Steven, the other went by Steve.) Even funnier is when there would be a page and all 3 of them were in the store at the time - we'd have to use both first and last name just to avoid confusion.

My mother in law was referred to as Jane1of7 at her previous job because in the hospital there were at the time 7 staff named Jane.
                        EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

I remember checking in items once for a customer whose first name was "BrandyNN".......took me a bit to figure out it was a "creative" spelling of the name "Brandon".

Comment

I don't have a problem with creatively-spelled names. But it was disappointing that a mother couldn't remember how to spell her own child's name.
                            "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
                            -Mira Furlan

Comment

I can go you one better. My husband & my younger brother both have the same first name (oddly enough, I have a friend with the same situation herself). Anyway, before we were married, future hubby was helping me move, and my younger brother came from out of state to help as well. It was confusing enough when I would yell their name, and they'd both yell "which one", but we knew we needed a break from moving when one of them yelled to the other one, who responded "which one?"

Madness takes it's toll....
                              Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Working...
                              X