This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap or lazy, not both.

A girl calls and wants me to check for something like 18 books she has on a list. Most used book stores don't have the inventory on the computer, which means that I would have to check the stacks for each title. Not going ot happen. I teller as much and she replies that when she looks on line they are all in different stores and she doesn't want to spend all that money on shipping.

To that woman and all like her:

Lady, You can be cheap but that means doing alot of time consuming footwork. You could spend weeks or months hitting every thrift store and library/garage sale looking for the titles you want. You'll get great prices. Or you could go to used book stores. We've done the Thrift store-library/garage sale thing for you. We have lots of good titles in one building. But guess what, The building and it's utilities and the vehicles and their gas need to be paid for. The staff (AKA me) expect to be paid. And the owner isn't in this for his health. That means that they're going to cost more.

I know you think you have the system beat when you decide to go on-line. Well you don't. You don't know who you are dealing with when you are buying from an on-line seller. I do. Think of used car salesmen without the social graces. They are very good at gaming any system. Sure they list the price of the book as $0.01 but you know what. They mark up shipping. This way when people sort their search by price (cheapest first) theirs comes up high on the list. Yet they still make money on shipping.

Either spend the money or do the footwork. Don't bug me.
    Proud to be a Walmart virgin.

Quoth Mark Healey View Post
    I know you think you have the system beat when you decide to go on-line. Well you don't. You don't know who you are dealing with when you are buying from an on-line seller. I do. Think of used car salesmen without the social graces. They are very good at gaming any system. Sure they list the price of the book as $0.01 but you know what. They mark up shipping. This way when people sort their search by price (cheapest first) theirs comes up high on the list. Yet they still make money on shipping.
    Not allowed on ebay, and listings can be reported and pulled for excessive shipping. Yet it still happens a lot because many people will gladly pay 1 cent for that book and $19.99 shipping and think they got a great deal..

(Aside: If the book never arrives or arrives damaged and the buyer complains, all the seller has to do is refund the 1 cent paid for the book, not the $19.99 for shipping, and tell the buyer to go fornicate with themselves.)

Don't know what Amazon's policy is since I've never sold anything with them.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

i think he was talking about amazon, ask the girlly if she has a large collection of books next time, and then tell her to try out paperback swap

Comment

Amazon is usually one basic rate (depending on expediated rates & all of that). But, good point about the jacked up shipping on ebay. Ebay seems to be getting worse & worse to shop on. Well, to me it seems it is.
        When it comes to getting things done, we need fewer architects and more bricklayers. ---Colleen C. Barrett---

Comment

Quoth thehippie777 View Post
          Ebay seems to be getting worse & worse to shop on. Well, to me it seems it is.
          Case in point:
          I've never actually bought anything off Ebay but recently I was ready to make my first Ebay purchase. It was a GREAT pair of shoes that were listed with a Buy Now price of $9.99 USD (which isn't that big a difference from the Canadian dollar now).
          The kicker was the shipping. $29.99!!!

I'll stick to Craigslist, thanks.

Comment

Quoth Sliceanddice View Post
            i think he was talking about amazon, ask the girlly if she has a large collection of books next time, and then tell her to try out paperback swap
            Actually I was thinking about ABE and Alibris. When they were started the sellers were mostly real bookmen. Now they are full of what we call scanner zombies, people who use a barcode reader at sales to see what they can sell on-line. Of course they always miss the multi hundred dollar books from the '70's and earlier because they don't have barcoded.
            Proud to be a Walmart virgin.

Comment

I've purchased books through ABE, but never Alibris. They always seemed to have jacked up prices, easily double or triple other sites.
              Labor boards have info on local laws for free
              HR believes the first person in the door
              Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
              Document everything
              CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Working...
              X