This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• People touching you

And no, I don't mean in the creepy , pedophile way.

I'm talking about the people who come up to you and believe that its perfectly acceptable to invade your personal space, touch your arm/shoulder/back to get your attention.

This is esspecially true with the elderly (I guess people were more trusting and less concerned about their space back then) who will just let their hand stay on you for MINUTES at a time.

Personally I can't stand it.

And I've got a little thing to say if they ever do that again.

"Looking's free, touchings gonna cost you"

Is that sucky? Meh, at least it'll get the point across.
    Screw normal. You know why? 'Cause if you're normal, the crowd will accept you. But if you're deranged, the crowd will make you their leader.

Christopher Titus.

Well, it's along the same lines of that "Dear Abby" letter that caused quite some tremor around here, a few week (months ?) ago... If you're not comfortable with it, stand for yourself and make this clear in a polite but not uncertain way.
    "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

Quoth solidmetalgear19 View Post
      "Looking's free, touchings gonna cost you"

Is that sucky? Meh, at least it'll get the point across.
      Depends on what you charge and what's off limits.
      "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

I must be easy-going. So long as the person doesn't stink or have a weird look in their eye (You all know the one I'm talking about ), I really could care less.
        The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

Comment

I can get very funny about strangers touching me, but I'm actually quite tactile, but by the time people get to know me they're under the impression I'm not (because of my hatred of strangers touching me.
          A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

"Touch me again and you'll pull back a stump."

One of the last few Halloweens at the Chesterfield, I went en femme, due to some coaxing from the AM, who had known basically since day 1 of his time that I didn't consider myself gendered. So, I humored him, and wore a skirt, blouse, and my fake boobs.
            New SM fell apart at the sight of my fake boobs, as the nipples are fairly prominent through my blouse and bra... every so often, the SM would come up and tweak one or the other. The first few times he did it, I said nothing, figuring it'd end eventually. No, at some point, I finally said, "Next touch'll cost you, either in money or hands." And he stopped.
            "I call murder on that!"

Comment

I only really have this problem with a couple of my coworkers. First a supervisor who likes to put her hand on your shoulder (or both of them) when she's standing next to you telling you something. And second, another cashier who knew me for a few years back in elementary school (so yeah, about...15 or so years back) and I haven't really seen since, who thinks we're still the bestest friends. She tends to run up and give random hugs.

Most people might not have a problem with it, but I don't really like people touching me. And neither one are the sort who listen to complaints - the supervisor because she's incredibly self-centered, and the cashier because she has the attention span of a chihuahua.
              » Horse Words «·» Roleplaying Stuff «

Comment

Quoth crazylegs View Post
                because of my hatred of strangers touching me.
                That. That Right There. HATE IT. I have no problems with my Gamer friends touching me or a select few customers. But out-and-out STRANGERS you're gonna get the I NEED AN ADULT!!!! scream outta me. I don't care if I've been an adult for almost 4 years.
                Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Yeah, it's a personal thing. For some people there is no such thing as "personal space". I knew one guy that was annoying as hell. There was no such thing as personal space to him and he was so out of it, you could tell him that his breath stank and he would miss the point and tell you how wonderful his "bloomin' onion" was at Outback.

I work with a Col. who is the same way, but he is a nice guy who I respect and like. But he is just the personal type that will walk straight up in your personal space. Makes me uncomfortable, but sometimes (not always) it's about intent. If they don't seem to be doing it to annoy, I will put up with it.

Unfortunately, I have trained myself never to step back, so the conversation always gets uncomfortable for me.

Comment

Ugh, just don't ever express your concerns about this topic. It might just get you fired.
                    I speak from personal experience.

Comment

I stand behind a rather large counter. Chest high on my guests and somewhere between 2-3 foot in width. I rarely have a problem with customers touching me unless I'm not behind it. Then I have the right to take a giant step backwards and tell them to vacate the lobby and if they persist, I get to kick them out of the hotel.
                      Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

There is one elderly couple that comes in frequently that I really like. I've only waited on them twice, but they're the type that one can easily talk and joke with. The other day, I was taking the wife's order and the husband wanted to get my attention, so he puts his arm around me and his hand RIGHT ON MY HIP. As in, ever-so-slightly on the butt. If I like the person I can warrant the occasional light arm tap, but that? I honestly believe he didn't mean anything by it, but it freaked me out to no end. Waaaaay too "personal" for comfort, despite my like of this couple.

Comment

I don't get a lot of touching but just recently I had a guest more or less stroke my hand when he was checking in (which creeped me out more than the drunk guys who kiss my hand - though still I have to wash my hands afterwards) now once is an accident twice and you obviously do not understand what the desk is for.

It's creepy I have no idea who they are, and I don't want a stranger touching me. Next time I'm letting the Night guys have a few words regarding personal space.
                          "So you think they named this ship the "Chimera" because there's a monster on board?" Tony DiNozzo

"They did not name it the puppy" Ziva David - NCIS, Chimera

Comment

I don't usually make conscious note of it...but I'm the exact same way. Even around friends I just instinctively avoid actual contact, and there is no surer way for a stranger to be introduced to how intimidating a 6'5" man can be than to grab me...well, anywhere. Don't quite know why this is...but yeah, makes me glad there's usually a counter between me and customers, and makes me evilly giddy that my co-workers have seen me practicing tae kwan do
                            Your true character is who you are when no one is looking.
                            --Unknown

Comment

I once had a man slap me on the ass for making a mistake.

Problem is he's my boss.

I still shiver.

Comment

Working...
                              X