Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tales From the Con Floor (Slightly NSFW)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
    Has My Little Pony taken over the world?
    yes, yes it has.

I'm trying to get my club to run some games at next years phx comicon.
    Last edited by Sliceanddice; 07-07-2016, 07:44 PM.

Comment

WS - Plenty of different cons out there. Anime, comics, sci-fi, fandom in general, gaming (as in D&D or wargames). You name it. You might also be interested in something like a Ren(aissance) Faire or other gathering where people generally show up in period attire.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Depending on what state this is, the kid may pretty much be untouchable. I used to work for an outfit that handled "at risk" as well as developmentally disabled kids (fortunately, not in the same houses, each group had its own.) Some of the DD kids would pull unbelievable stunts (and they did know better, believe me,) because they KNEW there would be no ramifications (illegal to punish them, and legally they aren't culpable, and they were already in an in care facility, so....). One of them ended up shattering a staff member's leg (not just breaking, SHATTERING.)

Comment

Quoth Barracuda View Post
          Depending on what state this is, the kid may pretty much be untouchable. I used to work for an outfit that handled "at risk" as well as developmentally disabled kids (fortunately, not in the same houses, each group had its own.) Some of the DD kids would pull unbelievable stunts (and they did know better, believe me,) because they KNEW there would be no ramifications (illegal to punish them, and legally they aren't culpable, and they were already in an in care facility, so....). One of them ended up shattering a staff member's leg (not just breaking, SHATTERING.)
          Now that's just plain wrong!

Comment

My niece spent one school year working with the mentally disabled kids. One year. The only reason she lasted that long was from prior experience with her youngest brother (and he's more on the medium-low end of "normal"... whatever that means).
            Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
            OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
            she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
            Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Quoth Deserted View Post
              (and he's more on the medium-low end of "normal"... whatever that means).
              That sounds like my aunt. She doesn't need any special care and she's technically a functioning adult. But... well.

Comment

Quoth WishfulSpirit View Post
                I do like Sci Fi (Star Trek in particular). Could pull off 7 of 9 if my hair was lighter (tall and skinny), but there just isn't the kind of detail to work with in Trek Starfleet costumes (though I could do the Borg queen or something Klingon). Knowing myself, I'd have to make my costume dead nuts perfect to be happy with it. We did talk about going to ComicCon with Hubby as Professor X. He's already got the bald head and the wheelchair!
                Could merge the two ideas there, Professor Locutus X...

Comment

Quoth WishfulSpirit View Post
                  I didn't understand the appeal of cons until someone (my husband) pointed out they are basically Halloween on steroids. Halloween is one of my favorite holidays and now I want to go, but I don't know enough about anime.
                  As others have said, you don't have to be a Big Fan of any show to go; just find a con that seems to have something that will appeal to you in your area (or an area you want to visit) and go to it. If you can, go with someone who has gone to it before, or gone to cons before so you have someone to anchor you in the craziness.

Dress up if you want, or go plains clothes; its all up to you. Just remember to go to have fun. (But you might want to pick a smaller con to start with before jumping in the big ones like Comic Con and such).

Personally, I've only ever gone to the SOE Fan Faires when they had them for the Everquest games; and the only reason I went to my first ones was because SOE invited me personally (for being a voice of sanity on the boards I guess. ). The first couple I went to were fun, but I very much felt like a fish out of water; I'm an introvert and not really a big crowds person.

After a few years, and after I made some friends who also reliably went most years, I opened up a lot and really started having fun at them, hanging out in the party rooms after the days events were done and such. That's why I suggest going with someone who has experience with the cons; they'll help you find the things that aren't on the official schedules.

So yeah, if you have the slightest bit of interest in something (whether it be an anime or a show, or just costuming in general), find a local convention and just GO.

Hell, even if you don't want to officially go, find out when the Convention is, and swing by the site while it's running. You'll probably see lots of people in costume that you might be able to chat with if that's your interest. I know that was the cast a couple weekends ago at Animaritime in my city. Lots of people in costume over the (Canada Day Long ) weekend; lots of opportunities just to hang out with people outside the centre if you wanted to.

Comment

Couple of weekends ago Rob and I went to EVE Online Fanfest NorthEast ... so there were 90+ online gamers in a campground in Northern Pennsylvania with no internet and in tents

Nobody really showed up in costume, though quite a number were wearing their corporation/alliance "colors" - one Goon was wearing what looked like a bikers denim vest but with GoonSwarm logos and there were at least 3 different corporation tshirts seen. I actually carry business cards with my game info, though I do plan on also getting a plastic 'ID' card made to wear as a name tag, I need to get the corp recruiting page as one of those QR codes. Rob and I were discussing either EMT or military clothing as more or less hall costumes as they have the right sort of "pilot" look.
                    EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

I've worked security at a few. It was funny when people with huge metal swords and knifes would get offend when told they can't bring them in for safety reasons. Once had guys with full replica wolverine claws and another with fully functioning Edward scissor hands freak out because they couldn't around a crowded floor with sharp metal blades sticking out lol
                      Last edited by Mr. Security; 07-18-2016, 07:18 AM.

Comment

Sorry I missed this earlier -- Kelly (and any others) -- If you post something on Fratching and wish to draw attention to it (basically, to move the conversation over there), it's fine to just go ahead and post a link ^_^
                        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Don't worry about not knowing much about Anime, I go to my local con dressed as a Skyscraper, and it's all good! One of these days I'd like to do Nakatomi Plaza from Die Hard!

Comment

Better watch out; some of my friends are going to a con next year (?) as the Kaiju from the "King of Tokyo" board/dice game. Another mutual friend wants to set up a live-action KoT...
                            “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                            One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                            The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

A living skyscraper and several kaiju? That would be all kinds of hilarious! Mind you, that skyscraper wouldn't be a pushover- I'm working on plans for blasters, energy blades, and even an energy bladed trident

Comment

Add some remote-control tanks belonging to the Kaiju Defence Force (the JSDF's anime nickname).

Comment

Working...
                                X