This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting really sick of pet names...

I don't mind not being addressed by my name unless the customer's mad enough to check it, but is there anything wrong with "miss" or "ma'am"? I generally feel that's the polite way to address a stranger, or anyone without using their name.

In any case, I'm getting tired of being called baby, precious, sweetheart, honey... I don't know. It makes me feel like they think I'm a child. I'm almost thirty. Even if someone's twice as old as me, do you really go around calling a thirty-year-old woman "precious" when you're asking her where the baking soda is? It also implies a familiarity that, frankly, creeps me out.

I get that they don't mean to be disrespectful, but I can't help that it bugs the crap out of me to be called honey, baby, and precious all day.
    Each one of us has a special place just like the Evergreen Forest. Enchanting, sparkling, and perfect. And, like the flowers that bloom there... fragile.

They may not mean it but in the end it is condescending and disrespectful. You probably can't correct them unless you immediately say "I'm MrsEclipse how my I help you?" or "Yes Ma'am I'm Mrs Eclipse the baking powder is aisle 3." Someone will probably eventually take offense to that. But it is rude to use those nicknames.

Comment

Can you maybe respond in a deep, manly voice? Don't know your vocal range, but I know if I was ever dumb enough to do the things these customers do hearing a pretty lady that sounds like a man would make me reconsider my "pet names".

Comment

I got this just today. A woman called me hon no less than three times in one sentence, I swear. How about we keep it casual, and drop the pet names?
        "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

My name's not "Attilla", so stop calling me "Hun".
          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth MrsEclipse View Post
            I get that they don't mean to be disrespectful, but I can't help that it bugs the crap out of me to be called honey, baby, and precious all day.
            It's not super common to use ANY of these pet names around here, but precious? I'd be like "is your name Gollum? Actually, never mind there is no acceptable reason for you to call me your precious." Every great once in a while someone will call me "hon" and I hate it.
            Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Yeah, I hate that! I once had a guy on the phone who came across very professional, polite and pleasant, right to the end of the convo when he said, "Thank you, dear." What?? NO NO NO!! I gave you my name, if you didn't remember it that's fine, either ask again or go with miss or ma'am, like a PROFESSIONAL would do.
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I will confess to addressing my co-workers as 'sweet' or 'peach' or whatever, especially when greeting them (e.g. 'Morning sweet, you all right?') but I'd never dream of addressing people who I don't know like that.
                Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

for the most part that's not something i get uptight about... depending on tone of voice. it's very common in the south for people to say "Hon" and "Dear" and not mean it in a derogative manner at all, and i grew up in VA with parents who grew up in FL, so for me that was normal.

on the other hand, i doubt there's any situation where a stranger calling me 'precious' would be acceptable... as the only cases i can think of for someone to say it would be a man hitting on me, or someone speaking down to me.

i've worked in retail for a long time, so i say "Sir" and "Ma'am" when addressing adults, even those younger than me, but i do call young children "sweetie" and "bud" for girls and boys respectively.

Comment

Quoth katzklaw View Post
                    it's very common in the south for people to say "Hon" and "Dear" and not mean it in a derogative manner at all, and i grew up in VA with parents who grew up in FL, so for me that was normal.
                    Of course, in FL, the further north you go the more South you get.

Quoth katzklaw View Post
                    but i do call young children "sweetie" and "bud" for girls and boys respectively.
                    Would it be appropriate to call a young girl "bud" if her real name were Mary Jane?
                    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

If someone refers to you via a demeaning pet name, give 'em one back. "Yes, Snookums, I'm doing fine today!"

Comment

I always thought that insipid pet names were reserved for married couples who had surpassed their 30th anniversary (and I believe this was ratified by act of Congress sometime during the Harding administration, but I could be wrong).

Which means that I can call my wife "Sweetcheeks" in a couple of years, and I can try calling her something else after the wires come out of my jaw.
                        Experience is knowing how not to get your teeth kicked in - again. -- The Freethinker

"And that... entitles you to no mercy at all, no matter what." -- from Going Postal by Terry Pratchett

Comment

Depends where you are.If you be from Yorkshire or Zummerzet,then everyone is me lover and you'll get funny looks if you don't say it.Down in Cornwall,everyone is me handsome or me lover. Even the vicar will greet you at church like that :P
                          The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

I used to live a half-hour by train from London. I grew up with ladies being called "luv" or "ducks" or men being called "mate". I take nickames like those in the spirit they're meant, which is just a verbal quirk, part of an accent. You can tell when someone's trying to be patronising.
                            "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

The way I remember it, "You can call me anything you like, just don't call me late for dinner."
                              "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Working...
                              X