Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm going to make them an offer they...CAN refuse?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm going to make them an offer they...CAN refuse?

Here's one aspect of SC behavior I haven't hit on too much but that I'm starting to see more and more. It blows my mind how sometimes I'll offer the customer something REALLY good (sometimes even better than what another manager would) and they say no, often with little or no hesitation...

You'll have to do better than that

We did a factory reset on this customers phone and apparently the genius coworker of mine that helped her with it did NOT make sure all the information was properly backed up before erasing the device. The customer is understandably extremely pissed that all her photos, videos and a good chunk of her contacts are missing.

She's been with us 15 years and is even flagged in the system as a VERY high value customer. The reason she demanded to speak to me was because the prior rep offered her a $30 credit for our error (that being the max they are allowed to offer without manager approval) and she was so insulted by that so now here we are.

I look at her account history and she hasn't had a single credit since 2012. She's also going on at length about how important some of those photos and files were that she lost. Her bill runs about a $150 a month so I very graciously decide to up by a factor of 10 the previous offer and provide a $300 credit for two months of free service.

IMMEDIATELY, she responds with the story title. Taken a little aback, I ask her how much she is looking for.

SC: Well for one I work for a VERY well known law firm and our per hour rate is substantial. I'd venture a guess I probably make more in a month than you do in a year but even aside from that I have lost some VERY valuable photos and documents that could affect the outcome of some of our cases. This could potentially turn into tens of thousands of dollars in losses for us.
    Me: I realize this is a very difficult situation. Did you have a particular number in mind?
    SC: It's hard to say for sure because I don't know how these cases will turn out and what we'll end up owing but if it's not at LEAST $20 000 then we have a very serious problem.
    Me: *record scratch* Did you say twenty THOUSAND??
    SC: Yes, I know you're probably not used to dealing with such big numbers on a regular basis but that is the reality of this situation.
    Me: So you think we should put a $20 000 credit on your account?
    SC: I actually think it should be more, but I might be willing to settle on that.
    Me: Again, I apologize for the mistakes we made and the loss of data but I would have to get ahold of one of our executive Vice Presidents to approve a credit that large and I highly doubt he'd do it.
    SC: And why is that?
    Me: Because typically a credit that large isn't realistic in a situation like this.
    SC: *laughing* You really have no idea what's going on here do you? I wasn't kidding when I said this loss of information could lose us tens of thousands of dollars if not more. I WILL be made whole by this. Either you find a way to get that credit on there or I will happily engage my coworkers to go after your company in court.
    Me: If you choose to pursue legal action against us that is your choice but I can about guarantee you no one in the company will approve the $20 000.
    SC: Fine have it your way but when I win, and make no mistake I WILL win, I will take your company for a LOT more than $20 000! *CLICK*

Is that all?

This guy admittedly had a rough time. He got a phone on a certain promotion but we didn't get the promotion set up properly on his account. In addition the store rep who set him accidentally activated two of the devices on the wrong lines. On top of that, there was a service outage in his area for about a half a day. Needless to say he's spent a LOT of time on the phone with <red checkmark> and is looking for some, as he put it, "consideration".

I try to be understanding and flexible when it comes to new customers. Some managers won't credit them ANYTHING because they're new and no track record with us means no extras. I tend to look at it as early goodwill goes a long way to creating long term customers.

I told my rep to offer the guy $100, guy said no and then asked for a manager.

SC: I've had to take three days off work, spend hours on the phone with you people and had several days with partial or no service because of errors that are no fault of my own, I am THIS close to going back to Death Star wireless.
    Me: I apologize again for the issues, I know it's made for an awful first month. But I tell you what, I'll double the credit to $200.
    SC: That still feels a bit inadequate to me, I mean all the time and gas and energy I've spent on this I feel is worth a bit more than $200.
    Me:
    Me: Okay, let me see if there's anything else I can do. (at this point I put him on hold and just chill out at my desk, making him *think* I am actually doing stuff when really I'm just killing time).
    Me: Okay, than you for your patience I just had to speak with another manager to get this approved. I see based on your account setup that your monthly bill will be about $325.
    SC: That's right.
    Me: Great. So what we can do is go ahead and waive your first month of service costs due to the issues you've had.
    SC: *sigh* That's all you can do?
    Me: (thinking) All I can do?? DUDE, I'm telling you I can make your first bill go away completely! What more do you want??
    Me: Well if I may say, I think a waiver of entire bill is a pretty good deal but yes, that's the best I can do.
    SC: Okay, I guess I need to speak to your manager then because I am still not happy with that.
    Me: I'm sorry we weren't able to work this out. Please hold one moment.

He then proceeded to try and get my manager to credit him $500. When told no, he tried for $400. When told no again, he said he'd just go back to Death Star.

The screaming eagle

This woman had been through three Galaxy S6 devies, each with different problems. She was demanding a different kind of phone because she couldn't put up with the "pieces of garbage" anymore. Nevermind she was probably doing something to these phones to cause the problems, but I digress.

So after spending a few minutes being EXTREMELY condescending to my rep she asks to talk to me....

Me: What can I do for you today?
    SC: YOU SHOULD KNOW THAT!
    Me: Well, my understanding is you are unhappy with the S6 and would like a different kind of phone.
    SC: NO.
    Me: I apologize, did I miss something?
    SC: You said I'm unhappy. I am not unhappy I am FREAKING FURIOUS!!! I HATE THIS THING and YES, I WANT A DIFFERENT PHONE!!
    Me: Calm down ma'am, I understand this is a frustrating situation but I am committed to getting it taken care of. Let me see what I can offer you here.
    SC: You better make it good!
    [...]
    Me: Okay, I can offer you a choice of an LG G5, an HTC 10 or a Droid Turbo 2
    SC: Are those all Androids?
    Me: Yes they are.
    SC: NO! I'm done with Android, these things are CRAP! I want an iPhone!
    Me: I apologize but Apple price controls prevent me from discounting or sending out a free iphone so that won't be possible.
    SC: THEN MAKE IT POSSIBLE!
    Me:
    Me: I just said it's not. The system has no option in there for me to do it. It's not allowed.
    SC: Why are you making this so difficult. I WANT AN IPHONE!
    Me: Then you'll have to pay for one.
    SC: SCREW YOU! GET ME YOUR MANAGER!
    Me: Please hold a moment.

My manager didn't make her any different offers than I did. She continued to turn them all down, cussed him out and said she'd go to D Mobile.

Short and stupid

Guy had a tablet that stopped working. We don't do tablet warranties, they go through the manufacturer. He didn't want to wait the week to ten days that process takes and demanded I take of it for him now. He's another one of our "High value" customers and the tablet he has is not that expensive and this is my last call of the week so I very graciously offer to send him a brand new replacement at no cost.

He immediately launched into a TIRADE about how much he hated the <red checkmark> rep in the store who sold him the tablet and how he didn't like the size and didn't like the color and the battery life has gone to crap.

Bottom line: He wanted me to send him a tablet that cost twice as much.

Ummm.... NO.

I told him (nicely but firmly) that this IS the offer and he can either take it or leave it.

He then told me to fuck off and hung up.

After dealing with people like this I really wish I had the power to remove that "high value" customer flag from some of these accounts.
    Last edited by CrazedClerkthe2nd; 07-16-2016, 06:20 PM.
    "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Ah, so you decided to keep 20k worth of photos and files on a phone with no backup? I definitely do NOT want you as my lawyer.
    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Seems a bit iffy in confidentiality terms as well, given the risk of phone theft.
      "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Do lawyers have the equivalent of HIPAA laws?

Either way, I'd be interested in hearing how that works out. I can certainly sympathize with the woman... we've had a couple of times when data didn't get backed up properly for some reason, but a lawyer who makes that much should have some sort of back up solution at the very least. Asking for $20,000 in credit is insane, though... but I wonder if Red Checkmark's business insurance would cover any sort of lawsuit?

Comment

I am not a lawyer, but I would be willing to bet there is an entire section of the contract stating that your company cannot be held responsible for lost personal data. Any GOOD lawyer would know that, having read the contract before signing it.

Comment

Mriswith has hit it on the head - Anybody with half a brain backs up their data. And given how often phones are lost or stolen if there was any proprietary information on that phone then Lady Lawyer and her firm could be in for a HUGE lawsuit if it ever got out...

But US $20K? I got news for you lady, NOT GONNA HAPPEN! Take what you're offered and be happy with it!

Comment

I just lost about 1500 pictures because I hadn't backed up my photos in a couple months and my phone bricked while installing the latest iOS update. Wanna guess who's fault that is? Mine. Mine and mine alone. Sure, Apple bears some culpability for making a device that turns into a brick occasionally when updates are installed, but this isn't exactly and unknown issue and I still failed to save my photos elsewhere before I tried the update, so it falls back squarely on my shoulders.

That woman is an idiot. I would definitely not want her as my lawyer.
              At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                Ah, so you decided to keep 20k worth of photos and files on a phone with no backup? I definitely do NOT want you as my lawyer.
                I noticed that, too. I really don't have the confidence she does that she'd win a case if she took the original poster's company to court.

Comment

I call total BS on that lawyer thing. Anybody stupid enough to carry around that kind of valuable, confidential information on their personal phone, which someone else could have accessed if the phone had been stolen, isn't likely to be employed by any kind of top law firm. And if she was, that $20,000 credit wouldn't have fixed the actual problem because the data would still be lost. She was trying to scare you into giving her not only money to make up for the inconvenience, but money to make her, personally, happy. I call scam.
                  When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

If I have any important photos on my phone they get uploaded to my cloud storage as soon as I can! I wish I could believe that others would do the same thing, but I've done tech support in the past so I know that entirely too many people don't think to backup stuff. *sigh*

Comment

As soon as the woman with the lost photos mentioned suing, a proper response would have been "I'm sorry, but company policy dictates that once a customer mentions suing us, all further contact must be through our legal department - goodbye".

Others have mentioned this already, but having the law firm's ONLY copy of a photo or document that's critical to a case stored on a class of device which is routinely subject to loss, theft, or damage is gross negligence. Having a duplicate copy on such a device is questionable (wouldn't lose the document, but still a risk of it getting "into the wild"). The firm's IT department needs to set out a policy regarding document storage.
                      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Real lawyers, well, real COMPETENT ones don't harass and threaten the frontline staff, they proceed directly to legal because they want a resolution.

So, it's either a bluff, or they're a bad lawyer, either way, you're going to get a good laugh out of the mess.
                        - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

No shit. Even I know to back up my phone ... .
                          EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
                            After dealing with people like this I really wish I had the power to remove that "high value" customer flag from some of these accounts.
                            Does this flag mean 'high value' or 'high maintenance'??

Comment

Same here.

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                              I call total BS on that lawyer thing.... I call scam.
                              Ditto.

Quoth wolfie View Post
                              Others have mentioned this already, but having the law firm's ONLY copy of a photo or document that's critical to a case stored on a class of device which is routinely subject to loss, theft, or damage is gross negligence.
                              Back at the newspaper, anytime we were sent out to take pictures of ANYTHING, the first thing we did upon our return was to copy everything from our SD cards to the server. Period. If this woman is really a lawyer of any stripe, she should know to at least do this. I also find it hard to believe that she depends on a cellphone to take and store pictures that important on a regular basis.

Quoth ladyjaneinmd View Post
                              Does this flag mean 'high value' or 'high maintenance'??
                              Yes.
                              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
                              X