X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple Excel question

Being a total n00b on that, I thought of asking here:

Let's say I have done a simple calculation in one cell (say, =1+1).

Now I want to see the result appearing in another cell depending on the result ( that is, one cell changes if the result is more than 1 ,but less than 2, but another cell if the result is more than 3,but less than 5 and so on....) ... what formula do I use?
    A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

I can't tell you more specific other than you are going to use an "if then" formula. I use them daily, but they are 'pre-programmed' by previous boss and I only have to copy/paste/adjust if I have to update my spreadsheet. I'm learning on the fly. I can recommend the Excel 2010 Bible. It has been a lifesaver for me. Paperback, about 3 inches thick and very easy to understand.

Comment

You need a formula in each of the cells that might have a result in it. (A formula can only affect the cell it is in, not other cells). Say your original calculation is in cell A1. So in the cell that should show the result if it's less than 2, you'd do something like =IF(A1<2,A1,) and in the cell that should show the result if it's greater than or equal to two, you'd do =IF(A1>=2,A1,)

However, if you want to do something like highlight the answer in a different color based on value, that can be done with Conditional Formatting from the ribbon at the top.

Comment

Working...
      X