This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So Demoralising

A bit of a sequel to this thread: http://www.customerssuck.com/board/s...ad.php?t=77252

Since I returned to the office job, I have been inundated with comments like this from parents:

“So are you actually going to be running any new classes this year?”

“You do know there are adults who would like some classes in the evening, not just children!”

“I think it’s ridiculous that you don’t offer very much for the local community!”

You know, stupid comments like the last thread.

Over the past five months, I have done nothing but plan and organise new classes. I managed to find six tutors who were willing to hire out classroom space and provide some classes for adults. You know, a basic retread of the previous thread. Two of the classes were due to start this week, another two next month and the last two after Christmas.

I worked very hard to ensure everything was OK. I created adverts and sent them home to parents, I left ads at all the entrances to the school so parents could pick them up, I sent ads home with the staff, I put them up in pretty much every store window that would let me, I gave up my free time to go and post some through postboxes, I contacted all the local newspapers, who put in adverts free of charge, I put notices up on the Internet on several local community websites, and whenever a parent came into the school, I handed them a leaflet. I even did a little bit of promotion on my shifts at the pub!

The two classes that were due to start this week have both been cancelled, because not a single person has signed up for any of them.

I immediately tore down any advertising I did. Five months of work: gone.

Really? What do these people want from me? What else could I have done to promote this class? Should I have hired a sky writer? Should I permanently carry around a megaphone and shout it out to everyone? I’m so sick of being bitched at by parents for “not providing anything for the community.”

This has made me debate my future at the school. My job is dependant on me finding people who will pay money to use the school services. The people I find literally do pay my wage. If they don’t show up and there is nothing running in the evening, then what is the point in me being there?

You are doing well in not throwing something at these idiots ... they sound like petulant teens/'tweens/kids, whining that "There's nothing to dooooooo!" and then when you mention half a dozen possibilities, they don't like any of them.

Would you be allowed to mention the fact you planned X, Y and Z classes and they had to be cancelled due to lack of participants? It can't be easy to just listen to that b*tching in silence.

We had a young local teen doing an internship with us at the community paper I once worked for, who wrote a column about there being "nothing for teens to do" in the town. The next edition of the paper carried a letter from the person who for some time had been trying to organize a Youth Council and having no luck because -- you guessed it -- they couldn't get any kids to participate! The poor girl was mortified (alas, that is the one hazard of shooting your mouth off publicly without doing some research first ...)

Comment

See, that's when you turn around and use that... somehow.
      But, crml ... I hope your boss sees how awesome you are (despite this), and finds you a place where your awesomeness can truly shine.
      Either that or bitches need to do something 'sides complaining.
      "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
      "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Have any of them mentioned what type of classes they are looking for, or just general bitchiness at the whole situation?
        Maybe you could say, "We were able to offer these classes, was there something else you were looking for?"
        That way the burden is on them, and you could possibly get a better understanding of what the adults in the area are looking for.
        Is it really SO hard to listen to the prompts?

Comment

Yeah, when they say "there's nothing (new) to do", what they often mean is "there's nothing *I* want to do"... Not helpful, but then what do we expect?
          This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
          I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

CRML, are there any groups in your area who might need a venue to meet / practise / rehearse?
            I ask because my brother is a member of an amateur theatre group, and they use the hall of a local high school both for rehearsals and to put on their shows.
            Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

In a thread a month or two ago, CRML mentioned a cooking class he'd organised - because hey, cooking was THE most requested class EVA!!!111eleventy.

... and, of course, no registrations. Class cancelled for lack of interest.
              Seshat's self-help guide:
              1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
              2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
              3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
              4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Pixilated View Post
                Would you be allowed to mention the fact you planned X, Y and Z classes and they had to be cancelled due to lack of participants?
                It might make sense if he were allowed to say that.
                Unseen but seeing
                oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                3rd shift needs love, too
                RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                  In a thread a month or two ago, CRML mentioned a cooking class he'd organised - because hey, cooking was THE most requested class EVA!!!111eleventy.

... and, of course, no registrations. Class cancelled for lack of interest.
                  Yep.

Our most requested class is computing. But we can't provide them. There is so much red tape involving allowing people to use the school computers kids have worked on it's unreal, so we decided the stress wasn't worth it.

After that it was cookery. Like you mentioned, no one showed up.

After cookery, Art classes. One of the classes we have just had to cancel.

After Art classes, Weight Loss. Guess what? One of the ones we had to cancel.

And it's not like they are charging huge amounts. Most classes run for around £3 a session!

Comment

Keep a list of all of the classes you've set up and had to cancel.

Start confronting these people with that list.

Maybe (I know, I'm a dreamer) they'll get the hint that they are the problem.

^-.-^
                    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Make people pre-pay for the course when they sign up. Note that no refunds are possible. If they choose to skip, that's there money wasted, and at least you, the teacher and the school are compensated for running the class.

Comment

Quoth Hanzoku View Post
                        Make people pre-pay for the course when they sign up. Note that no refunds are possible. If they choose to skip, that's there money wasted, and at least you, the teacher and the school are compensated for running the class.
                        Everything I have organised has been a pre-pay set up after the cookery class disaster a few months ago. No one is signing up, for anything, ever.

Comment

Working...
                        X