This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't Freaking Lie!

[bg]I'm a headhunter in several specific fields that require licenses to be had. Background checks are standard in these industries and licenses can be revoked for convictions and sometimes even for charges.[/bg]

Dear potential candidate,

Don't lie. There's this thing called the internet; it allows me to look up almost anyone and find out all sorts of nifty details (that photo of you on your friend's FB page that they tagged you on - yeah, yellow isn't your best color and it looks like you had a little too much of that rum). And yes, this can include arrests and other not so good stuff (you'd be amazed at how many ex's rant about stuff that really doesn't need to be aired). So when I ask you "Is there anything else I should be aware of?" or "Is your license in good standing?" please realize that I'm asking you to come clean on information I already know before I have to have a coming to Jesus talk with you.

I really don't judge; people who are honest get the full ability of my help (heck - I've helped a convicted meth addict get a job and walked her though how to address the issues). But now you, Mr. Potential Candidate have given me a headache and since you've told me that there shouldn't be any problems with licensing and that there's nothing that would stop some one from hiring you, I now have to basically call you a liar and point out that fraud charges are not something that you can hide. I don't like having to call people liars.

Sincerely,
    JB
    A crisis is a problem you can't control. Drama is a problem you can, but won't. - Otter

I don't know how many times I have heard the warning (in school and job-finding seminars) or seen it (in online articles) about the internet: it can kill a job possibility faster than almost anything else. And yet people still seem to think because they can't find certain information, nobody can. The really weird thing (to me, anyway) is that they usually tend to be young enough that you'd think they'd know better ...

Comment

Working...
    X