X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone dream of their workplace?

A strange little thread, to be sure...

Does anyone dream of their workplace? I actually very, very rarely do. But last night I did have one odd one. I needed to go get my training to get a certificate to drive the forklift so I can help out on truck days or whenever they need me, so I had to drive all the way out to a backwater little store.

The store was so small, they didn't even have a forklift. It went something like this:

Instructor: Okay, now get in the forklift.
    Me: Um.. What forklift. We're in a parking lot.
    Instructor: Okay, uh... ... uh ... so, here's this car. *A car appears* Pretend it's a forklift and drive it.
    Me: It's not my car.
    Instructor: Right. I guess. Okay, so let's use a shopping cart!
    Me: They're all taken.
    Instructor: Okay. ... ... So use this pen. Let's pretend it's a forklift.
    Me: *Takes the pen, puts it in pocket*. :-/
    Instructor: You're still doing better than half of the other people here.

Then I was eaten by a bear.
    SC: "Are you new or something?"
    Me: "Yes. Your planet is very backwards I hope you realize."

Well, there was the one time I dreamed I was at work without wearing any pants.

Nobody seemed to notice.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Very rarely do I dream about work. Maybe a nightmare on occasion. But nothing memorable... Yet.

Offtopic but I got all excited to see a ShadowTiger post. :P
      Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
      Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

I've had a few nightmares in the past.

One company I worked for used orange siding on all the plants.

There were a few times in the dreams/nightmares where I was chased by an orange monster/villain.

<sigh>

B
        "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein.
        I never knew how happy paint could make people until I started selling it.

Comment

I tend to dream of my coworker's and manager's deaths. Not because I want them to die, I just do. When I dream of their deaths they tend to leave the store shortly thereafter because of either firing or quitting or arresting. I don't murder them in my dreams, I either get told of their death or watch someone else kill them.
          Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.-Winston Churchill

Comment

Quoth ShadowTiger View Post
            A strange little thread, to be sure...

Does anyone dream of their workplace? I actually very, very rarely do. But last night I did have one odd one.
            I do occasionally, more often I dream of people I work with, not necessarily the workplace itself. I do recall one, though, kinda strange.

I was a computer programmer at the time, was on a team working on writing a very involved system for the military, I personally at that point was responsible for writing the code for an input screen (pre-windows, pre-internet, pages and pages of code for a single screen of input, let alone the processing of all that input) - and that screen had 40 sub-screens to code as well. Long hours, unpaid overtime, looming deadlines - you get the picture. Anyway, screen was called by 3 letters, a dash, then a letter & 2 numbers (said as P D S - B zero zero).
            I guess my sub-conscious was trying to soften all the stress, One night I dreamed I had this adorable dog, which had 40 even more adorable little puppies Oh, and it's name was little PDS Boo (said as 3 letters, then the word boo).

Madness takes it's toll....
            Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Ah, workmares, the bane of every worker's existance. You experience one, you feel like you actually are at work, and you wake up stressed out and upset and more tired than you were when you went to bed.

Haven't had any recently, but have had many in the past. No matter where I worked, the theme was often the same: there'd be an important task I had to do desperately and customers, coworkers, managers, even the store layout all conspired against me to block, bully, barricade and otherwise obstruct me from finishing my important task.
              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
              My LiveJournal
              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

When I was working at the previous 'hole in the wall' job, dreaming of being there was very common for me. Especially after a really stressful day/week/month/year/etc. It eventually got so bad that I couldn't/wouldn't sleep unless I was so tired that I'd either skip the first dream state, or be so tired that no matter what I'd dream I would not be able to wake back up. Unfortunately, most of the time, I'd be sorta rested enough (zombie) by the morning dream cycle that I'd jerk awake with a feeling of overwhelming dread about having to go work with/for those people that coming day.

The only days that I would actually sleep, were the days I had off, or was so sick that there was no way in Hades I was going anywhere. Unfortunately housemates weren't to sympathetic about how stressful the job was and were of the firm belief that unless one is working nights or is very sick, one should be up and raring to go by no later then 9:30am

By the end of my time there, it was very common for my shift to end at say 18:30, I'd go sit in a nearby park watching the river go past until nearly 21:00 (at the earliest), and I'd still need to restrain myself from wanting to play bumper cars (or seeing just how far my car would fly if I drove off the side of the road before hitting the embankment down into the valley) on my drive home.

Comment

I actually do have strange dreams about works sometimes. They don't really make any sense and I tend to forget them a day or two later. I usually wake up with a 'wtf just happened?' feeling.

Particularly if I've invested a lot of time and energy into a specific area of the store. I'll just dream that something went wrong, lol.

Comment

I don't dream of the motel too much, but I do dream of the paper route often.

The dream is usually of the same theme. I'm either on my route or a different route (usually Hubs old route), and for some reason I don't know the addresses I'm supposed to deliver to. So I just go around guessing and hoping.

Sometimes I dream of the motel, but it's always mundane. Just like if I was actually there. Except I wake up and realized I just "worked" several hours and none of it was real.
                    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

the only dream I had was when I dreamed of all of my co-workers at <pizza place> were wearing cat ears.

now the strange part is 3 days later my gf's (who works at the same place) cat died.
                      I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                      -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

I used to quite a lot, and still do years after and I'm no longer employed anywhere!

Normally in the form of anxiety dreams, those where you're trying to do a small task that takes forever because things keep going wrong.

I guess that job had me stressed
                        Arp happens!

Just when I was getting used to yesterday, along came today.

Comment

Had one a few months ago about being a restaurant server despite not having done that in about thirty years. In it I was new on the job and got slammed.

Back when I first entered the workforce I'd have dreams more often, I think because of the repetitiveness of the jobs: hay hauling, dishwashing, etc. Those were every bit as boring as the jobs themselves.

Comment

I've dreamt many times that I was working at quite a few of my previous employers.

Here's a few examples:

1) Getting slammed working behind the Upgrades Counter of a CompUSA.
                            2) Working at a copier company's client and trying to fix an impossible to duplicate network printing issue while getting reamed by both employer and the client.
                            3) "Waking up" to having a headset on while lying in my bed. My alarm clock became a phone display ala Convergys and taking calls from angry DSL subscribers.
                            4) Sitting at a cubicle at Charter taking calls from angry customers.
                            5) Driving to the copier company's client to get a job done, never making it there because of excessive distractions both on the road and/or by Nextel 2-way radio.
                            Fixing problems... one broken customer at a time.

Comment

I've had several dreams about college....does that count? I can't count how many times I have woke up thinking, "Holy shit! I'm late for class!" or, "Oh shit, I forgot to turn in an important paper!"

Then I realized I've been out of undergrad for over two years and all the shit that's due for school now usually is not due for a few months or I already turned it in. Hell if I know why I do this.

Comment

Working...
                              X