This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sometimes it sucks

I'm a ghostwriter. That means I can never point to my writing and say "I did that. That's me." Sometimes I write something I'm rather pleased with and would like to pass on to family or show off to mom, but I know it would be passed around and my client would be like "What is this that I paid you for doing in email?" Also I won't link to my work from facebook cause I don't want people who disagree with my views on gay rights, etc. going to my client and using that against me to get my client to ask for another writer from the company I work for.

Sometimes it just sucks, but I won't jeopardize my work for pride. Even if it would be nice to get a "Good job," or a "That was a really well written piece" on occasion. I just know I'm one of the client's favorite writers because I know how he likes his things written and can write that way np, and one of my editor's favorites because I'm such an easy edit.

Do you do any writing on your own, or do you get too burnt out from doing it for a living that you would rather do just about anything else outside working hours? Just wondering, because you deserve to have your talents recognized. Your client ought to be a bit more forthcoming with the compliments, too.
    "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Its possible the client does compliment my work, but I have no direct contact with the client. The closest I have to contact with the client I think is my editor, but its possible even she has to go through our boss to talk to the client.

Thing is there's only so much I can write about without burning myself out, and I'm not all that creative a writer. Give me some keywords and I can research and write on them, but have me come up with topics myself? Then write them and then expect me to do so again for money and not repeat myself? That's a tall order.

Comment

Yeah, I can completely understand that. I love to write but I rarely do it...
        "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Write out an outline for a novel and see if a publisher who's printed your work already will give you an advance on it. You're a proven author, even if your earlier works don't bear your name, and they might bite. Then you can get out of the ghosting business and boost your own pride.

Comment

I don't write novels, I write technical articles for a software company.

Comment

Working...
            X