This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I should have been doing this sooner

As I mentioned in another thread we are doing some renovations on our recreation building (they are actually going rather well but this post isn't about them), because of these renovations my whole department is working in Arts and Crafts (as well as doing unit inspections but those aren't worth talking about). Now I know how to do pretty much all of the crafts that we offer and am generally a very crafty kind of person, my boss knows this but also knows that I'm really good at diffusing and/or smoothing over unhappy situations, which tend to crop up in the evening down in recreations, and I 'm really good at making sure that everyone is getting all of their side work done without people feeling like I'm nagging them so I've only ever been up in Arts and Crafts to cover specific activities when we had a call out or something.

I've never worked a full Arts and Crafts shift until this week and by the end of my first week due to making an off handed comment while my boss was looking through the catalog for our suppliers I'm now putting together a proposal for a new craft (for those interested the craft will be embellishing hair accessories). This is exciting for a few reasons 1) it is lots of fun and gives me something to do during the down time (which there is a lot of), 2) it is something that I have been wanting to do for a while and now I get to play around with stuff and figure out exactly how I want to go about doing things without having to spend any of my own money, and 3) just about everything around here takes forever to implement but I will be leaving early in June at the latest so being allowed to develop this on my own means that it will be implemented quickly, which in turn means that my boss is as excited about offering this class as I am, partly because it should have a nice profit margin and partly because we currently only have one class that really appeals to teenage girls (and this one can be easily modified to fit different age groups) but mostly because she likes obnoxiously over the top hair accessories as much as I do and she will be able to wear any displays that I make.

I had kind of been in a major rut lately but this has kind of kick started my creative process so I'm pretty happy about this whole situation (even if it means I have to spend a few hours a week inspecting units).

Yay being excited about work!

Quoth Solumina View Post
    I had kind of been in a major rut lately but this has kind of kick started my creative process so I'm pretty happy about this whole situation (even if it means I have to spend a few hours a week inspecting units).

Yay being excited about work!
    Doesn't it just make so much difference to the day? When you actively look forward to getting into work because, hey, you actually get to do something interesting and see the results?
    Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

This is why I really need to find another line of work...because it's pretty much the same thing day in and day out; no change in routine or chances to do other projects. I really need more variety. Glad you're able to do something different for a while :-)
      "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Um, I wanna buy the stuff you make. Seriously, though, I wish my job could allow creativity. But everything has to be by the book.
        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Working...
        X