Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That was me road tripping to Texas. My bladder was full and my fuel gauge was a hair off empty. I was getting really worried since Texas doesn't mile marker its highways so I was trying to pay attention to the cross streets in case I had to call my insurance company's emergency number - I pay extra for towing, on-site tire changing and gas service.
    Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

Quoth Slave to the Phone View Post
      I ride a 1994 sportster. It doesn't have a gas gauge. None of the motorcycles I've owned have had gas gauges. As a result, going by the odometer has become a default with me. I always fill up when I think I'm down to a quarter of a tank and if my mileage changes I am aware of it right away which is a good thing. A change of gas mileage is usually a sign of a problem that needs to be addressed sooner rather than later.
      I've always driven cars with working odometers and gas gauges, and I've always kept a careful record of the mileage whenever I fill up the gas tank - for that exact reason. A large change in mileage indicates that something is *wrong* with the car (or you're being siphoned), and as a single woman who lives alone, I *really* don't want to be stuck out in the middle of nowhere with a dead car. Been there, done that, do not want to repeat the experience.

Of course, I also live in the Washington DC area, and 'middle of nowhere' places are few and far between.

Comment

Quoth UncleImpy View Post
        One thing I learned in a disaster first responder class is: always stop and refill your tank when you hit the hallway mark, if you live in a disaster prone area (I live within 50 miles of Mt Rainier in the PNW) because if Something Happens, your car is only good to you as far as it can go, and you want to be able to, with no notice, get the hell out of the disaster area.
        I used to live pretty close to Mt Rainier, though my town would have just gotten a front row seat, but not been destroyed. We joked that when we went hiking there were volcano evacuation route signs, and when we went to the ocean there were tsunami evacuation route signs. It was always good to be prepared, though, because if something happened to the bridge connecting us to... everything... we'd be stuck.

Just the other day my power went out. Where I used to live the power went out all the time. At least few days each winter, and once it stayed out for a week. So it's not like I'm not used to it. But where I live now the power hardly even blinks, ever. It was in the morning and I was like, "oh no, I can't make coffee!" At school someone was saying that morning they only saw one coffee shop that had power, and there were cars lined up all the way on the street, which was a busy street. Anyway, lesson learned, I'm buying a french press.
        Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth UncleImpy View Post
          One thing I learned in a disaster first responder class is: always stop and refill your tank when you hit the hallway mark, if you live in a disaster prone area (I live within 50 miles of Mt Rainier in the PNW) because if Something Happens, your car is only good to you as far as it can go, and you want to be able to, with no notice, get the hell out of the disaster area.
          I live about 60 miles from Mt. St. Helens, although I didn't live here when it blew. So I hear you about being prepared for anything.

Comment

Luckily, Bob the Builder came and fixed our pumps the next morning; a fuse had blown in the electrical panel, and was easily and quickly mended. It's funny how something as small as that can cause an entire forecourt of pumps to go off.
            People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
            My DeviantArt.

Comment

Working...
            X