Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't really wish real harm on anybody, but I'm waiting for the day when a real tragedy happens because rescue vehicles can't access a building or fire hydrant or something because of the city training people to ignore no parking zones.

Again, as a handicap parking user, there's no reason that disabled people can't follow the law. If there really is a problem with a lack of disabled parking, then the city needs to do two things.

1. They need to evaluate the current codes and determine if the required number of spots is still a good ratio based on the percentage of disabled people in the population. People are living longer than ever and medical advances have allowed babies that would have died just a generation ago to live, which results in a higher percentage of disabled people.

2. They need to crack down on people fraudulently using the placards. I'm required to carry the registration of the placards with me and the kids are required to have state issued IDs. I've been asked to prove who the permits belong to and I don't mind that. It's not a hardship for me and it makes me glad that the city cares enough to try to prevent abuse.
    At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

heh, Mathnerd, have you ever seen pics of what happens when a fire truck needs to access the fire hydrant that some asshole is blocking access to??

They'll bust the windows & run the hose anyway

as they have every right to do

wanna know what happens when you (general 'you') park in front of the door to the firehouse???

They'll use the truck to RAM your vehicle out of the way

although, I'm not sure if that last one is legal for them or not
      "Much butthurt I sense in you, cry like a bitch you should"

Comment

Quoth CorneliaMarieRocks View Post

heh, Mathnerd, have you ever seen pics of what happens when a fire truck needs to access the fire hydrant that some asshole is blocking access to??

They'll bust the windows & run the hose anyway
        Here's the link if you want to see it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz5MGJGmfiM
        D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
        Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

Comment

Quoth eltf177 View Post
          I would think being illegally parked would make it all but impossible to claim damages. I can't see any insurance company willing to pay under these circumstances nor a judge willing to side with the defendant...
          It's still the driver's responsibility to drive safely even if others park where they shouldn't, whether that belief is backed up by law or just in the mind of the driver.

I had someone bash the front fender of one of my cars when it was parked in a bay that was in the process of coming under new parking restrictions, meaning that signs were in place but not enforceable at that time (It was still a legal demarked parking space, but they were introducing a time limit). The defendant's defence hinged on "he shouldn't have been parked there"; that ended up costing him the repairs and his licence for six months.
          This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
          I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

I think there's a general principle: if it's an emergency (ie. life & limb are at stake), the normal rules only apply insofar as they don't interfere with the response to said emergency.

So I think if the station exit was blocked, they'd use the heavy vehicles to push the blocker out of the way, but wouldn't simply smash it aside - since that would risk damage to a vehicle that was needed for the response.

Comment

Chromatix, that's what I meant...that they'd use the big engine to push the blocking vehicle aside
              "Much butthurt I sense in you, cry like a bitch you should"

Comment

Quoth mathnerd View Post
                I don't really wish real harm on anybody, but I'm waiting for the day when a real tragedy happens because rescue vehicles can't access a building or fire hydrant or something because of the city training people to ignore no parking zones.
                Cue obligatory picture of BMW parked in front of a fire hydrant, with its windows smashed out to allow the hose to be run through it.

Quoth mathnerd View Post
                Again, as a handicap parking user, there's no reason that disabled people can't follow the law. If there really is a problem with a lack of disabled parking, then the city needs to do two things.
                OP mentioned the city having an unofficial policy of not tagging/towing illegally parked vehicles if they had a handicap tag. What would be a SENSIBLE policy would be to allow vehicles with the tag to park free in LEGAL spots which would normally be paid for (e.g. meters or city-owned lots), but still tag and tow if parked somewhere other than in a legal spot (e.g. beside a fire hydrant, in front of a driveway, etc.).

Of course, if it makes sense it's not allowed.
                Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                  Cue obligatory picture of BMW parked in front of a fire hydrant, with its windows smashed out to allow the hose to be run through it.
                  Yup, I've seen that one. What I mean is for something tragic to happen when seconds count, and those seconds were wasted smashing through windows or moving a car that's in the way of rescue efforts. For example, somebody dying because in the few minutes it takes to move a car so a ladder can be placed, a floor collapsed, or something like that. I don't wish for anything in the world for something like that to happen, but my fatalistic side feels that it'll take something of that magnitude to get through to the idiots.

Quoth wolfie View Post
                  OP mentioned the city having an unofficial policy of not tagging/towing illegally parked vehicles if they had a handicap tag. What would be a SENSIBLE policy would be to allow vehicles with the tag to park free in LEGAL spots which would normally be paid for (e.g. meters or city-owned lots), but still tag and tow if parked somewhere other than in a legal spot (e.g. beside a fire hydrant, in front of a driveway, etc.).

Of course, if it makes sense it's not allowed.
                  That's actually the law anywhere I've lived. In my current city I can park in any legal spot and hang the placard (if the one of the children is with me) and not have to pay the meter. Additionally, I can park in time limited spots without a limit as long as the placard his legally hung. Most garages, including a number of private garages waive parking fees if you have a valid handicapped parking placard or vehicle tag.

I find these accommodations more than generous.
                  At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Quoth mathnerd View Post
                    I don't wish for anything in the world for something like that to happen, but my fatalistic side feels that it'll take something of that magnitude to get through to the idiots.
                    It does seem to work out that way far too often.

Need a traffic light put in so pedestrians can cross more safely? Someone's gotta be critically hit with a car first. Need to lower a speed limit in an area or put in a speed trap? Well, gotta hit a kid at that school crossing with a car first. (I'm noticing a trend here.) And so on.
                    "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                    - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Quoth Kogarashi View Post
                      It does seem to work out that way far too often.

Need a traffic light put in so pedestrians can cross more safely? Someone's gotta be critically hit with a car first. Need to lower a speed limit in an area or put in a speed trap? Well, gotta hit a kid at that school crossing with a car first. (I'm noticing a trend here.) And so on.
                      That was the scenario in my neighborhood a couple of years ago when a pedestrian was struck and killed while crossing over Wendover AvenueSpeedway at the intersection of My Road.

We already had walk signals . . . the button needed to come down on the pole a foot or two so persons in wheelchairs (such as my Mom) could reach it easier. Much media coverage on local news ensued and a few months later, that intersection got brand new walk signals installed . . . they are shorter in height than the older ones we had but the button is lower.

I think my Mom is the only one who uses that damn button. I have yet to see a pedestrian actually press that button and wait for the signal before trying to cross.
                      Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth Kogarashi View Post
                        Not automotive, but one former employer had 2 buildings across the street from each other. The building I worked in, there were constant complaints about people coming in the employee entrance being hit by the door when someone coming out opened it. No action was taken - until someone carrying a piece of prototype equipment intended for a trade show got hit, and almost dropped it. Within a week, a window was installed in the door so people could see if someone was getting ready to open it from the other side.
                        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
                          I think my Mom is the only one who uses that damn button. I have yet to see a pedestrian actually press that button and wait for the signal before trying to cross.
                          In a lot of places, the buttons are actually dummies. In my town, the ones that aren't dummies just start a Really Annoying voice repeating something to the effect of "Please Wait. Light is red for McIntire Street. Please Wait [repeats until light changes]". (This is meant for blind people, but it's still amazingly annoying.)

Comment

Quoth CorneliaMarieRocks View Post
                            wanna know what happens when you (general 'you') park in front of the door to the firehouse???

They'll use the truck to RAM your vehicle out of the way
                            A lot of the firetrucks around here have dented bumpers, and we suspect it's due to this (I'd pay to actually see it happen...). My town has a high amount of entitled assholes on wheels. On a few streets with firehouses private driveways/lots are very scarce and most residents think that means they can park anywhere on the street they want.
                            "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                            "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

I was my late aunt's executor, and she had a handicap placard. When I called the DMV in the state where she lived and asked how to dispose of it, the clerk told me frankly, "We don't get a lot of calls like this." People actually asked me why I didn't keep it and use it. No way would I have done that, because I wasn't entitled to it.

Comment

At my store, we have a private road that leads to our back door where we receive all our deliveries. Every Bonfire Night when the carpark is full, people will use this as a parking space. When I am outside having a cigarette during my break, I am PRAYING for one of our delivery wagons to arrive and, to get into our back yard, UNFORTUNATELY catch a couple of the cars while it is reversing

Comment

Working...
                                X