This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A lack of planning on your part...

... does not constitute an emergency on mine. Yet again, for the thousandth time.

We had a little technical problem at the petrol station. Basically, about twenty minutes before closing, all the pumps decided that they'd had enough and simultaneously shut down. Nothing we could do could get them back on, so while my colleague served the customers who were there at the time, I called the people we call whenever something goes wrong. Let's call them Bob the Builder. When asked "Can you fix it?", Bob replied, "Yes I can, but not tonight as none of the engineers are available. Tomorrow morning before open?" I agreed, took down the details and then called Craig to let him know that we were unable to serve petrol due to our pumps committing mass suicide. Since we were so close to closing time, (about five minutes to) he told us to close, and stock up in the petrol station til our finishing time.

Now, get this; during this time there are no customers, save two who were filling up at the time of the pumps shutting off, and they'd gone. However, the moment that I started coning off the front, a car barged in, narrowly missing me, and drove to the forecourt. I hurriedly finished blocking off the entrance and went after them. The SC had already left his car and was attempting to use a pump. He saw me and complained loudly that it wasn't working. I replied that since all the pumps had shut down unexpectedly, we were actually shut. He snapped back that his car was running on fumes and that we should stop being so lazy and switch the pumps back on. I tried my hardest to explain to him that this was not possible, but he just wouldn't listen and kept talking over me. In the end, I gave up and started locking the pumps up.

When I got round to the one the SC was still trying to use, he shouted at me to turn the pump on and let him fill up his car. Again, I tried to explain but he refused to listen, threatening to complain. Eventually, I told him that if he wanted to complain, the manager was over the store. He left the pump alone and walked over to the store. I locked the pump, went back inside, and called Craig to tell him about the SC. Craig said that we weren't in trouble and that he'd deal with the SC. We then waited out the few minutes til our finishing time came, then we locked up and went.

We later discovered that Craig had verbally slapped down the SC and told him basically that since there was nothing we could do about the pumps being off, that he was out of order shouting at me. The SC denied it, so Craig told him that it was all on camera, and the SC folded. He eventually left the store, Craig directing him out the other door so that we wouldn't risk running into the SC. XD

In such a situation, it's never a good idea to leave filling up your car to the last possible minute in case there's an issue which means that the petrol station closes early. In any case, since the car was gone when I left the store after getting my bag, he must have lied about his tank being empty.
    People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
    My DeviantArt.

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
    ... He snapped back that his car was running on fumes ...
    ... he must have lied about his tank being empty.
    I guess you could say he was fuming when he left.
    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

This lack of planning occurs at the pharmacy fairly often. When people pick up a prescription with no refills, they basically have AT LEAST a 30 day notice that there are no refills. Yet they wait until they are out of meds to get a refill, then complain they can't take their meds because their Dr. hasn't authorized refills. They expect the pharmacist to give them an emergency fill because they were too stupid to plan ahed.

Comment

I guess you could say he was fuming when he left.
        According to Randall Garrett, puns are "the odor given off by a decaying mind"...
        I don’t have enough middle fingers to show you how I feel about you.
        - Twitter, via Boredpanda.com, via Youtube

Right. Well. When you manage to pull the concussed deer of your intellect away from the oncoming headlights of life let me know. - Grave keeper

Comment

A straightline is the shortest distance between two puns.
          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth OneMoreTime View Post
            This lack of planning occurs at the pharmacy fairly often. When people pick up a prescription with no refills, they basically have AT LEAST a 30 day notice that there are no refills. Yet they wait until they are out of meds to get a refill, then complain they can't take their meds because their Dr. hasn't authorized refills. They expect the pharmacist to give them an emergency fill because they were too stupid to plan ahed.
            So much this !!!!! Where is the dang LIKE button???

Comment

It's fortunate that you live in the UK, Lace. Here in the US, it would be very easy for people taking a cross country trip to get down to fumes before they even see another petrol station. On a roadtrip with my dad once, we went about 200 miles before seeing a second one. We both thought we had plenty of time, but it had been on the red E for about 40 miles or so by the time we got to the second station and fortunately they had no problems.

Not that that would excuse someone acting like that though!

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                A straightline is the shortest distance between two puns.
                I have nothing to add. I just feel this post needs more love.
                PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

I called the people we call whenever something goes wrong. Let's call them Bob the Builder. When asked "Can you fix it?", Bob replied, "Yes I can, but not tonight as none of the engineers are available.
                  Sorry, that reminded me of this:

We later discovered that Craig had verbally slapped down the SC and told him basically that since there was nothing we could do about the pumps being off, that he was out of order shouting at me. The SC denied it, so Craig told him that it was all on camera, and the SC folded.
                  for Craig! How many noodlespine managers would've folded and kowtowed the SC?
                  I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                  My LiveJournal
                  A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth Silent-Hunter View Post
                    It's fortunate that you live in the UK, Lace. Here in the US, it would be very easy for people taking a cross country trip to get down to fumes before they even see another petrol station.

Not that that would excuse someone acting like that though!
                    Agreed. It stinks they can't get gas but:

1) It's nobody's fault the pumps took a nosedive.
                    2) If you wait until the last minute and let your tank get that low you take your chances. Personally I never let my tank go below 1/3 full in the summer and 1/2 full in the winter.

The pumps are down, you are told this and that no gas is available tonight. GO SOMEWHERE ELSE WHERE THE PUMPS WORK!

Comment

The really stupid thing about this, and about every single case of an SC getting pissy when told they can't come in, is that there's a twenty four hour petrol station just TWO MINUTES DRIVE AWAY. Even if your car is right down to the last drop, it's still feasable that you would make it to the other place. If your car puttered out round the corner, it would take you only five minutes to walk there with a can. That's why it's so stupid when SCs act as tho not being allowed in is tantamount to being stranded in a desert fifty miles from the nearest petrol station.
                      People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                      My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth eltf177 View Post
                        2) If you wait until the last minute and let your tank get that low you take your chances. Personally I never let my tank go below 1/3 full in the summer and 1/2 full in the winter.
                        I fill up the car when it hits 1/4 full. The last thing I need is to run out of fuel in a less-than-savory neighborhood or in the middle of nowhere. I came very close to running completely out on the highway once; I learned my lesson from that.
                        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                        My LiveJournal
                        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                          I fill up the car when it hits 1/4 full. The last thing I need is to run out of fuel in a less-than-savory neighborhood or in the middle of nowhere. I came very close to running completely out on the highway once; I learned my lesson from that.
                          That or getting stuck in REALLY bad traffic. Here in the Washington DC area that happens a lot more frequently than you would think. Having a few gallons in your tank can really be a lifesaver...

Comment

Also, fuel gauges can be nonlinear (full to halfway on my car is roughly twice as much fuel as halfway to empty, on some of the company trucks the gauge drops rapidly at the top of the tank, slows down as fuel level drops until it gets past halfway, then speeds up as it approaches empty), and are known to be inaccurate as empty approaches ("slosh" can have a big impact on reading).
                            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Or not even work. A friend of mine's didn't on his first car (he was taking a repair class at night school specifically to learn how to fix/replace it - he never finished the class BTW). He had to fill the tank, then write down the mileage and keep an eye on the odometer. Not the best of systems...

Comment

Working...
                              X