Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stock reply: And how much were you paid back then?
    I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
    -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
      Stock reply: And how much were you paid back then?
      The same as now: not enough.
      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
        Tuna was something like 49 cents a can.
        Every once in a while, I can still find tuna that cheap. But it's mostly flakes and water, not chunks with any texture to it. It looks like watery cat food. Good for a quick tuna noodle bake but not for, say, tuna salad.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
          And it's usually the same old geezers to, arguing about how when they were in college "they let you park here!"
          My dad actually went to school in your town back in the '60s. Every time I've gone up there for a game, I get to hear about "how it was" then. Half the time, he gets lost because "that store wasn't there last time. Yep, we know it wasn't there in 1965. Hell, I can remember when my uncle's house (not far from the stadium) was in the middle of nowhere. Now, he's surrounded by developments. Stuff changes, deal with it
          Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

When I was in high school, I think I could get a burger, fries and coke and change back from my dollar. Comfort food after a shift at work. Had a boss that was sexually harassing me, but that was only sleazy back then, not illegal. Some things have improved with time.

Comment

Quoth workerbee222 View Post
              When I was in high school, I think I could get a burger, fries and coke and change back from my dollar.
              I remember the McDonald's ad when they said, "Get change back from your dollar."
              "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

I remember my high school lunch was a sandwich that a lunch lady made-to-order in front of you, like Subway except with limited ingredients. You could get soup, sandwich and juice or milk for $2.10. I got it every day. The school also had a terrible rotating menu of hamburgers and pizza and all the normal stuff, but it was not that popular and was the same price as the sandwich combo.

I remember dial-up internet with AOL. Some things have improved. Though I do have nostalgia about Windows 95 and XP.
                Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

https://youtu.be/miZHa7ZC6Z0

lol. i remember buying candy bars for 50 cents and gum for a nickle. they not that cheap anymore, but o well.

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
                    My dad actually went to school in your town back in the '60s. Every time I've gone up there for a game, I get to hear about "how it was" then. Half the time, he gets lost because "that store wasn't there last time. Yep, we know it wasn't there in 1965. Hell, I can remember when my uncle's house (not far from the stadium) was in the middle of nowhere. Now, he's surrounded by developments. Stuff changes, deal with it
                    I was thinking about that the other day while stuck in traffic downtown, I looked around at the various businesses and buildings and realized, that of the 30 I could see, only the barber shop and the old Corner Tavern building remained unchanged from when my Mom would take me shopping down the same block in 1984...

That had me start to take tally of how many businesses survived in all of downtown from that time until now.

The count was less than 6: The barber, the tavern, a jewelers, and, amazingly (considering how economics have changed) the last two are a toy store and a comic shop... (90% of US comic stores closed in the mid 90s when the industry was nearly destroyed by market overspeculation)
                    - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth Marmalady View Post
                      The Boss ftw!

I can remember getting four chew sweets for a penny - either blackjacks (liquorice) or fruit salad. Don't know if they're even made any more.
                      Of course they are! Check out your friendly olde-time sweet shop that's springin up. I can still get them for like 3p-4p each :P If need be,I shall despatch a bag*only partly nibbled* up
                      The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

I remember $3.99 combo meals. It's more than what you expect, but I was growing up in the 80's and 90's, not the 50's and 60's.

Now everything has to be at least $5 for a small sandwich and $8 for a combo.
                        cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                          I remember my high school lunch was a sandwich that a lunch lady made-to-order in front of you, like Subway except with limited ingredients. You could get soup, sandwich and juice or milk for $2.10. I got it every day. The school also had a terrible rotating menu of hamburgers and pizza and all the normal stuff, but it was not that popular and was the same price as the sandwich combo.
                          My school district did not participate in the school hot lunch program until 15 years ago or so. Which should tell you everything you need to know about the obnoxious frugality of people here--spending tax money on hungry schoolchildren is thought to be a waste.

By the time I got to high school, the local pizza/sub sandwich restaurants started bringing in food. They rotated every day (Pizza Hut one day, Dominos the next, Papa John's the following day) and so I ate pizza for lunch every day.

And that's how I got fat (well, not really).
                          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth cindybubbles View Post
                            I remember $3.99 combo meals. It's more than what you expect, but I was growing up in the 80's and 90's, not the 50's and 60's.

Now everything has to be at least $5 for a small sandwich and $8 for a combo.
                            This is my perspective too. 80's/90's child as well.
                            "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                            - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                              By the time I got to high school, the local pizza/sub sandwich restaurants started bringing in food. They rotated every day (Pizza Hut one day, Dominos the next, Papa John's the following day) and so I ate pizza for lunch every day.

And that's how I got fat (well, not really).
                              GODS I WISH that were the case 40 or so years ago. ANY meat (or meat product if you will) that was served in my HS cafeteria was "suspect". The burgers might have had someone whisper "meat" over them during the prep and cooking process (LOTS of filler possibly soy). The "pizza" had a real crust some kind of "sauce that was red" but the "cheese" and "meat" toppings again no one was sure of what they actually were.
                              I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                              -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
                                GODS I WISH that were the case 40 or so years ago. ANY meat (or meat product if you will) that was served in my HS cafeteria was "suspect". The burgers might have had someone whisper "meat" over them during the prep and cooking process (LOTS of filler possibly soy). The "pizza" had a real crust some kind of "sauce that was red" but the "cheese" and "meat" toppings again no one was sure of what they actually were.
                                My high school (late 90's) never had fancy food delivered. Luckily what they prepped wasn't too bad, though students quickly learned what food items were always suspect and which were actually safe. I recall there being vending machines in the building, but aside from the Gatorade/PowerAde ones, students didn't usually bother with them since it was cheaper to get snack items in the lunch line or bring them from home, and there was no soda machine.
                                "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                                - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Working...
                                X