Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mother of the Bride Shenanigans (wall o' text)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mother of the Bride Shenanigans (wall o' text)

Happy Saturday! I'm supposed to be working on a rack full of gowns, so this is my way of procrastinating. I may also take a nap.

Quick refresher: I do gown alterations. This means bridal gowns, bridesmaid gowns, and during Spring: Prom gowns. Right now I am shoulders deep into Prom season. I am an independent contractor, but the store I work with has been handling the fitting schedule this season as its easier for them to schedule with the customer directly rather than the customer calling me to schedule, then me calling the store to put it on the calendar. Prom appointments are 30 minutes, bridal appointments are 60 minutes. I also ask that brides limit their entourage to 2 people for a plethora of reasons that will become apparent.

Last Thursday was a rare day in that I had managed a full night's sleep and I was running on time with my afternoon appointments. Hooray! Just moments before my 5:30 appointment is to arrive, I wade into the storage racks to pull her gown and be ready to go, only to discover that it's a bridal gown and she's only been scheduled for 30 minutes. Crap.

Bride arrives and after a greeting, I alert her to the scheduling snafu. I asked her if she would like to proceed and cover as much as we can in 30 minutes, or if she would like to reschedule for a full hour another day. She opts for 30 minutes. No problem, bridal fittings are a multiple meeting situation anyway. So I lead her to the fitting room, which right now is not that large of a space. It's at this time that it becomes obvious that she has 4 people with her: Mother (MoB), Sister, Auntie and Cousin. With Bride and me, that's 6 people in a small space. That's OK, there is a sofa in the room for people to sit.

Well... no one wanted to sit. They all wanted to gather around the bride and stand with their backs to the mirror and chatter loudly. This is a problem because I use the mirror as a way to double check that what I'm pinning is laying correctly, that the Bride is happy with what she sees, and I have to be able to move around her and ask her questions. Deep breath, it'll be OK.

So I'm pinning the back of the gown and Bride mentions that she forgot her shoes. I smile and say "No problem. We'll do your hem next time. I'll make sure we schedule you for the full hour and it'll still be done on time for your bridal portraits."
    Auntie pipes in, "Bride, how tall are your shoes? She can just pin the hem now and add the length for the heel."
    To which I reply, "Unfortunately I have a policy to never mark a hem without shoes. It ensures that the hem is the correct length and protects us both against errors."
    Right as I'm about to put a pin in the dress, MoB forcefully grabs my wrist and says "Maybe you shouldn't do any work then."
    I just stared at her for a moment. "We can get the fit issues dealt with and do the hem next time. It's not a problem. It happens all the time. In the meantime, can I get everyone to move away from the mirror? I need Bride to be able to see what I'm doing."

For the next few minutes, MoB is following closely behind me and making a show of inspecting everywhere that I've pinned (which is 4 spots. Side seams and the shoulders). I take a seat to write down my notes and ask the Bride if there is anything else that she wants me to take a look at before I step out so she can get changed. Bride says no. MoB holds up the veil, "Do we have time to try on the veil?"
    I glance at my phone and see they have 10 minutes left in their appointment, so again I smile and nod, "Of course! I'll step out to check the schedule for the return fitting while you do that."

So I step out, check the computer and come up with 2 options, fill out the estimate sheet, make a label for the gown and welcome my 6 PM fitting. I let the 6 PM girl know that her gown was in the fitting room, but that the previous guest was still in there, and it should only be a few moments. Then I step into the fitting space to speak with the Bride about her schedule. Bride picks a time, I write it down on the estimate sheet for her and tell her I'm placing it with her things. Then as I am putting the label on the hanger, MoB says "We're going. We're going."
    "You're fine. I'm just labeling the hanger," with a smile.

Finally they leave and I get my next girl in the room and go through my spiel with her (When is Prom, phone number, Here's what we're gonna do, etc). I step out so she can get dressed and I see MoB complaining to the store manager about me. I just smile tightly and turn away so I can't see or be seen. I get through the next appointment just fine and have a moment to ask the manager about the complaint.

MoB's complaint: She asked if I was the only seamstress. She didn't like that I wouldn't mark the hem. She felt like I was rushing them out the door. She didn't like that I asked everyone to move out of the way.

So after my last fitting (I left at 7:15. 15 minutes after the store closed) I called the owner of the store to give her a heads up about a potential complaint. I gave her the run down, including that I could see how I could be perceived as abrupt. Owner said she agreed with me and would back me up. Then added that no one needs to bring 4 people to a fitting. Owner also said she'd follow up with Bride the next day. I trust Owner will back me up on this because she gets as fed up with pushy family as I do.

After a movie date with my Husband (yay Deadpool!) I gave him the run down as well and he said that in 2 weeks when Bride and MoB return, I would be within my rights to ask MoB to not be in the room as she both made me feel unsafe but created an unsafe environment for her daughter (nearly stabbing Bride with a pin, while not catastrophic, is a nuisance). I think that may be a bit over the top, but I appreciated his enthusiasm.

TLDR; Mother of a bride grabbed me, nearly causing me to prick her daughter with a pin, then complained that I was rude.

Thoughts?

Oh great You have a momzilla on your hands.
    And no, you are well within your rights to bar all except for the bride for the next fitting/measure....for exactly the reasons you stated.
    I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
    -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

As long as bride keeps it together and doesn't bring her entire posse with her next time I'd let this one slide.

But any tantrums or further problems then MOB can get her daughter a new seamstress!

Comment

If you can, call the bride ahead of the next fitting and remind her to bring her shoes and the right underwear. My mother ran her own tailoring business and I know you never do hems without shoes *especially* bridal gowns. MOB was an idiot. And you don't need 4 people at a fitting. It's not that exciting and the bride doesn't need any advice.

Comment

You KNOW she would have blamed you if the bride had been pricked. Or (HORRORS!) she got BLOOD on the WEDDING GOWN!

I concur. MoB should only be permitted if she's the only entourage, AND she keeps her hands off. She touches you again, she's out.
          Seshat's self-help guide:
          1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
          2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
          3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
          4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

The moment she grabbed your wrist she should have been removed. Not just a light touch, you said she forcefully grabbed you. There's no reason why you should have to put up with being assaulted just for doing your job.

Comment

This is pretty much the exact reason why my mother is having no input on my dress, or anyone's wedding clothing other than her own...
              "...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

Comment

She grabbed your arm? Oh HELLS no! That is an unsafe work situation. She should have been turfed then and there. Nicely if you can manage it, but in no uncertain terms. That is a sign that she doesn't even see you as a person, just "the help".

If she shows up with the bride next time, frankly, I think you should tell her that she's going to have to wait outside the fitting room. I don't care if she's the only person Bride brings with her. Wait, actually, the manager should tell her this. It will carry more authority and will make it very plain that the shop manager (and the owner!) are backing you up.
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Update: I had to delay posting about this since my parents came to town for the weekend. And frankly, I was stunned.

MoB apologized, of sorts, and from Bride's face it was obvious that she set her mother straight. The second fitting on Thursday was just bride and MoB, it went well, we joked and chatted amiably, and half way through MoB made a comment about how she tends to "speak with authority on things I don't know anything about" and I glanced at Bride's face in the mirror and saw what could be described at frustration and relief. So I suspect MoB's complaints about the short time frame and feeling rushed and not marking the hem were addressed by the Bride. Yay!

Comment

Reformed! Clearly the Mighty Hand of God Him/Herself (or Fate, or Improbable Chance) reached down and performed a miracle associated with the springtime holiday of your choice!

Comment

I'm impressed. That bride laid down the law.

Comment

Working...
                      X